[Explained] Controller Support Options for Android

N

netizen

Has anyone seen the new(er) Moga Controllers?

MOGA PRO POWER doesn’t just turn your phone into a precision, console-style gaming system. Featuring a 2200 mAh internal battery, MOGA PRO POWER can keep you gaming on longer—by charging your phone while you play with MOGA Boost Technology.

Now the controllers are in the $80 range and the regular Moga Pro with no battery backup; no longer available.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Has anyone seen the new(er) Moga Controllers?
Now the controllers are in the $80 range and the regular Moga Pro with no battery backup; no longer available.

I think PowerA are starting to get greedy personally.

So.... Buy a Nyko playpad instead £17 ($26ish)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0092ZEJX8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1388592699&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
Connects in the same manner as mode B of the Moga (ie you don't need root) and it's a 1/4 of the price and in Shane Monroe's review - just as good.
http://reviewlagoon.com/nyko-playpad-for-android-devices-review/
It should work perfectly with TPA.

Or something a similar size to the Moga Pro - the Nyko Playpad pro £23 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nyko-Playpa...8&qid=1388598917&sr=8-2&keywords=nyko+playpad

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Keep seeing these also on the Internet - Snakebyte idroid:con controller.

http://www.snakebyte-europe.com/en/container-produkte/products/android/idroidcon/

Website doesn't specifically mention HID (usb-hid) type connection but reading the blurb and required specs it sounds as though it is - and it's cheaper than the Nyko at £16.50

I'd go with the Nyko personally though. Just until someone tests one of these for connectivity and quality.

Warning - don't confuse these with the identical Snakebyte PS3 controller which are slightly cheaper but won't work un-rooted.
The Snakebyte idroid:con should work without root access.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
don't get a snakebyte, flippers are bound to one axis so you can differentiate between the two buttons = worthless.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
don't get a snakebyte, flippers are bound to one axis so you can differentiate between the two buttons = worthless.

Ah - I knew I'd heard that brand name somewhere before. It was you who had one back in the summer.

Stick with the Nyko as the cheap option then.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Added details for Moga Pocket users (probably only me AFAICT) about activating MagnaSave on BK and BK2K.

PinPipe

May 26, 2013
Hi there.

Is there anybody around, who actually tried a Nyko PlayPad?
The reviews on Amazon are all mediocre to bad. On the german site even more than on the US or UK sites.
Beefing about things seems more popular round here...
But I think most complaints are about the Nyko apps. And if I understand right, I won't be needing them anyhow.

Hope someone can talk me into buying that pad. ;-)

Greetings from Hamburg

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Hi there.

Is there anybody around, who actually tried a Nyko PlayPad?
The reviews on Amazon are all mediocre to bad. On the german site even more than on the US or UK sites.
Beefing about things seems more popular round here...
But I think most complaints are about the Nyko apps. And if I understand right, I won't be needing them anyhow.

Hope someone can talk me into buying that pad. ;-)

Greetings from Hamburg

Not tried the actual pad personally, but a TPA player and Android reviewer has, his comments are here...
Shane Monroe's review
http://reviewlagoon.com/nyko-playpad-for-android-devices-review/

I'd heard the same as you. Pad is good, bundled software bad - but as you mention, it wouldn't be needed.

Edit - his review isn't TPA specific, he reviewed this prior to TPA having controller support.

p6800

May 17, 2013
I just got the Sixaxis app to use with my ds3. I want to find what to map to what so that it works like this:

- Right Stick = nudge
- Left stick = plunge
- start = pause/resume
- Square = camera lock on/off
- triangle = hud off/on
- circle = change camera

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I just got the Sixaxis app to use with my ds3. I want to find what to map to what so that it works like this:
- Right Stick = nudge
- Left stick = plunge
- start = pause/resume
- triangle = hud off/on
- circle = change camera

You cannae do it man - I use Sixaxis with a Dualshock on my N7.

To connect as a native controller (which is the only way to get analogue nudge), within Sixaxis, do the following...
Go into 'Preferences'.
Pick 'Gamepad settings'.
Tick 'enable gamepad'.
u8ury6a6.jpg

Use 'back' to go to front screen of Sixaxis.
Ensure touch mapping is set to 'none'.
u5yvytyz.jpg

Press 'start' in sixaxis, and power button on Dualshock so pair is achieved.
Start TPA, within a table, press any of the 4 buttons square, tri, circ, cross or triggers to activate controller support in TPA.

This will give you left stick analogue nudge, right stick analogue plunge with flippers on shoulder buttons or triggers.

You can re-map in sixaxis, but only the buttons, not the sticks.
Do it through 'preferences', 'gamepad settings', 'edit mappings'.

To switch the stick functions, Ryan Routon would have to create a menu option in game.
Might be a good addition if he's struggling to find something to do. :D

You could use touch mapping to do some of the stuff you requested, but that would mean no analogue.

Last edited:

p6800

May 17, 2013
I got the app working with TPA in no time, gamepad mode, before posting here earlier. To nudge with right stick, map right analog x-axis to x, and y-axis to y. But now the left stick does nothing and i would like it to plunge!

Just need to remap face buttons as i like and get the left stick to plunge! Baron, if you know any other tricks, please post, as i will do the same when i find more.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I got the app working with TPA in no time, gamepad mode, before posting here earlier. To nudge with right stick, map right analog x-axis to x, and y-axis to y. But now the left stick does nothing and i would like it to plunge!

Just need to remap face buttons as i like and get the left stick to plunge! Baron, if you know any other tricks, please post, as i will do the same when i find more.

Nice find p6800!
Switching sticks is possible.

To get plunge on left stick / nudge on right - Set...
Left analogue x-axis = Z
Left analogue y-axis = RZ
Right analogue x-axis = X
Right analogue y-axis = Y

p6800

May 17, 2013
I was just about to post about how easy switching the left and right stick is and having the plunger work, but you beat me to it! :)

Now it would be nice to get more stuff from this. Easy menu navigation and selection, camera toggle etc...

The dream would be this:

"- start = pause/resume
- triangle = hud off/on
- circle = change camera"

I mapped start to b button and it works as a start/pause during game, but only there.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Camera lock is changeable via non customised settings, I think its 'X' in sixaxis or square controller button on my default settings.
Pause works too, but Ryan hasn't mapped any other functions to controller buttons yet.

Tried switching sticks but my brain needs retraining to use it. Think I'll stick with nudge on the left.
Good find though!

p6800

May 17, 2013
On pc + 360 gamepad i found i like nudging with the right stick and my brain got used to that. No need to retrain if one finds and likes something! It's nice we even found this trick to make it work. Hope they implement the few actions missing so we wouldn't even need to touch the screen!

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
On pc + 360 gamepad i found i like nudging with the right stick and my brain got used to that. No need to retrain if one finds and likes something! It's nice we even found this trick to make it work. Hope they implement the few actions missing so we wouldn't even need to touch the screen!

+1 on additional settings.
Credits all yours for this find. Nice one.

N

netizen

With the coming new UI Ryan stated he didn't bother coding in the UI controls to the controller as he'd have to re-do them again.

Crazeeangel

Mar 9, 2014
Keep seeing these also on the Internet - Snakebyte idroid:con controller.

http://www.snakebyte-europe.com/en/container-produkte/products/android/idroidcon/

Website doesn't specifically mention HID (usb-hid) type connection but reading the blurb and required specs it sounds as though it is - and it's cheaper than the Nyko at £16.50

I'd go with the Nyko personally though. Just until someone tests one of these for connectivity and quality.

Warning - don't confuse these with the identical Snakebyte PS3 controller which are slightly cheaper but won't work un-rooted.
The Snakebyte idroid:con should work without root access.

In defence of the Snakebyte Idroid I brought one a couple of weeks ago before discovering this forum.

Running on a Google Nexus 7 tablet with latest OTA update firmware and no root access with the controller set to mode 1 Pinball Arcade works happily with this controller. I have independent flippers on the shoulder buttons, plunger control via right thumbstick and appear to have nudge via left thumbstick. The A,B,X & Y) keys do not appear to do anything at this time. I am running the standard play store version of the app.

Therefore not sure what the comments in next post about triggers being tied to same axis means.

It actually works so well that I have invested in the full table pack. Originally I found it difficult to play with touchscreen keys but with the controller and as a pinball fan this is something I could imagine killing happy hours of long haul flight with. Congrats to developers for a great game and big thanks for adding controller support.

The only thing that would make this even better would be to use the triggers instead of the shoulder buttons for the flippers (the same as XBox) and guess this may be where the issue mentioned may apply. Would love to try the mode switch to see if this does work but understand this is only available in a Beta version and not the play store app. I would be happy to try out and test if this would be of any use.

I would note that running on the former firmware previous to the latest version the controller was not working properly over bluetooth (Dosbox Turbo could not recognise keys) but since the update (which I delayed for personal reasons and only applied yesterday) all works fine. Dosbox Turbo key mapping actually reads the keys and recognises both the triggers buttons and shoulder buttons independently.

Hope this may be of use to somebody.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
In defence of the Snakebyte Idroid I brought one a couple of weeks ago before discovering this forum.

Running on a Google Nexus 7 tablet with latest OTA update firmware and no root access with the controller set to mode 1 Pinball Arcade works happily with this controller. I have independent flippers on the shoulder buttons, plunger control via right thumbstick and appear to have nudge via left thumbstick. The A,B,X & Y) keys do not appear to do anything at this time. I am running the standard play store version of the app.

Therefore not sure what the comments in next post about triggers being tied to same axis means.

It actually works so well that I have invested in the full table pack. Originally I found it difficult to play with touchscreen keys but with the controller and as a pinball fan this is something I could imagine killing happy hours of long haul flight with. Congrats to developers for a great game and big thanks for adding controller support.

The only thing that would make this even better would be to use the triggers instead of the shoulder buttons for the flippers (the same as XBox) and guess this may be where the issue mentioned may apply. Would love to try the mode switch to see if this does work but understand this is only available in a Beta version and not the play store app. I would be happy to try out and test if this would be of any use.

I would note that running on the former firmware previous to the latest version the controller was not working properly over bluetooth (Dosbox Turbo could not recognise keys) but since the update (which I delayed for personal reasons and only applied yesterday) all works fine. Dosbox Turbo key mapping actually reads the keys and recognises both the triggers buttons and shoulder buttons independently.

Hope this may be of use to somebody.

Thanks for this - I thought it should work from the product tech spec, and was quite surprised when Ryan stated it wouldn't.

Re- switching shoulder buttons for triggers, an option already exists within TPA.
Within any tables attract screen (panning cam) press 'Table Menu' then 'options'. Scroll right to the very bottom and alternate 'controller mode' setting. A=flip on buttons B=flip on triggers.
Other button switched becomes, magna save or trigger for BK STTNG etc.
This option is available in the current play store version, and the latest hi-lod beta.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.