I can't find much fun when playing modern tables.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I honestly don't have a preferred style. Maybe due to the fact that my knowledge of pinball more or less started with TPA, so there isn't a nostalgia factor for any particular era. I appreciate the complexity of TZ, but every so often just load up Big Shot to hit some crunching drop targets. And everything in between.

That Beatles table... that's a horrible combination of art styles!

You are in a good place to get the most enjoyment from tpa possible.

And yes the art is jarring but the table is fun and more addictive than meth

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I really like both eras' tables quite a bit. I think the games need to be tuned to have ball times that match with the rules. System 11 tables usually seem pretty good at that. The relatively short ball times keep things from getting too repetitive even with rules that aren't that deep. For a modern DMD table the ball times need to be a little longer to allow you to get into the depth of the rules and advance the modes.

I go to this place that has Diner, TZ, SS, IJ, and RS and I play Diner at least as much as any of the others. So I definitely think that tables from that era hold up well against the newer tables.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
If you ever use VP, check out the table by BOB5453 "The Beatles"
It's one of the best tables I"ve ever played on VP but unfortunately does not exist. Honestly, it plays like an EM or early SS but has features like newer tables (samples of beatles songs and fairly complex table lighting).

All the stars on the playfield light up with each spin of the spinner, when they are all lit the spinner value increases from 10 to 100 then to 1000 points making the spinner really valuable. The apple targets activate outlane ball savers. Great table.

That sounds pretty neat! I remember seeing that one when combing through VP tables, didn't download it though. I'll have to give it a try if I ever get back to firing VP up. My current gold standard for spinner tables is Stern Electronics' 1978 "Stars," in which you aim for five "star" targets around the table, each one lighting a correspondingly colored light beneath the spinner, the spinner being worth more points the more stars it has lit under it; a good five-star spinner crank is worth huge points! The VP recreation by Ezepov is excellent, also I'm fortunate to have a real one in a pin bar near me, although some of the multi-player scoring on it is a little busted.

[video=vimeo;45770563]http://vimeo.com/45770563[/video]

Another thing I really love about Stars is that although it's an SS game, it still has EM sounds. Love the old bells. : )

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
That sounds pretty neat! I remember seeing that one when combing through VP tables, didn't download it though. I'll have to give it a try if I ever get back to firing VP up. My current gold standard for spinner tables is Stern Electronics' 1978 "Stars," in which you aim for five "star" targets around the table, each one lighting a correspondingly colored light beneath the spinner, the spinner being worth more points the more stars it has lit under it; a good five-star spinner crank is worth huge points! The VP recreation by Ezepov is excellent, also I'm fortunate to have a real one in a pin bar near me, although some of the multi-player scoring on it is a little busted.

[video=vimeo;45770563]http://vimeo.com/45770563[/video]

Another thing I really love about Stars is that although it's an SS game, it still has EM sounds. Love the old bells. : )

I love bells

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Oh! I should add that there is another table that the same author worked on in a collaberative effort called Beat This. Another awesome table though kess spinner oriented and more target oriented. Kind of a black hole + centaur + big shot + hawaii five-oh

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.