Worst Video Mode Ever

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
It's a lot easier in real life. I think it is slower. Maybe an operator setting?

I love the video in the Getaway. Simply shift up 5 times when video mode is flashing and avoid the cars. Still haven't figured out how to get the extra ball though as it always seems to fly by on the opposite lane.

Most of them have a pattern. however it sucks to try and learn and remember any of them unless you stick to one table that has it exclusively.

PC.Doctor

Jul 22, 2013
The one that seems the hardest for me is the Circus Slide Show from CV when I'm trying to get a kangaroo, thats riding a bicycle, to avoid oncoming objects. In the end, I always crash :(

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I gave up on the HD video mode. I just crash at the first opportunity and avoid the first couple of pedestrians.
CV is pretty bad, and there's no great reward and the points are pretty lame.
Kudos to Black Rose for having three fun video modes, even if they're kinda difficult and overused.
ToM maybe be extremely meta especially in a video pinball game, but it's an easy XB so who cares, right?
I have to agree with the previous poster though that the CftBL video mode is the best.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I gave up on the HD video mode. I just crash at the first opportunity and avoid the first couple of pedestrians.
CV is pretty bad, and there's no great reward and the points are pretty lame.
Kudos to Black Rose for having three fun video modes, even if they're kinda difficult and overused.
ToM maybe be extremely meta especially in a video pinball game, but it's an easy XB so who cares, right?
I have to agree with the previous poster though that the CftBL video mode is the best.

You do realize that the point of HD video mode is not to avoid pedestrians, right? The game rewards points for committing vehicular homicide.

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014
Was feeling like u on this video game at the beginning, but in HD it's so hard to score points and the machine is so punitive, i finally realised this video game was one of the best way to have safe points, and now goin for it is my 1st priority when it's available ;)

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Yes, you want to play HD's video mode because it's actually a major source of points on the table. Completing it perfectly awards an EB, which once you reach the limit of 3 EBs per game, becomes 30M points instead. That's a lot, more than most multiballs.

Pinetwig

Dec 23, 2013
Yes, you want to play HD's video mode because it's actually a major source of points on the table. Completing it perfectly awards an EB, which once you reach the limit of 3 EBs per game, becomes 30M points instead. That's a lot, more than most multiballs.

By perfectly you mean getting all the pedestrians?

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014

Exactly, but beside that i have to admit that's one of the worst video game and it happens too often even when u dont try to play it, and that's one of the reason i was hating this table so much on my 1st game of play. Now it's one of my fav ;)

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
It´s really, really dumb, so it fits with the theme of the table.

Which means I enjoy it - I actually love how tacky this table is. The eagle screams during the bonus countdown, the cheap MIDI guitars, the garish colors... It´s the only TPA title with proper camp value :D

Couldn't agree more. Worst video modes (the 1st being the worstest):

Cue Ball Wizard
Theatre of Magic
Harley-Davidson

The one on ToM is just... wow. "We´re sorry to interrupt your game of pinball. Would you like to play some super crappy choppy low-res VIRTUAL pinball for a while?"

And playing virtual pinball inside your virtual pinball makes it all the more meta.

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Here's the upside: You get 35 million for getting a PERFECT on that video mode. So something to think about. I found out during my video-making ;)

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
I actually love how tacky this table is. The eagle screams during the bonus countdown, the cheap MIDI guitars, the garish colors... It´s the only TPA title with proper camp value :D

Totally never thought of it that way. B2K with its chorus of angels and cheesy guitar riffs would probably fit that description too.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Couldn't agree more. Worst video modes (the 1st being the worstest):

Cue Ball Wizard
Theatre of Magic
Harley-Davidson
I'll add The Amazing Rooney from CV as a candidate for forth. Substitute Dr Who for a massive kangaroo that is trying to express pain in an Australian accent as he jumps over random things.

Then the topping on the Dookey Cake when you complete the mode. "Bonza mate! Now I'm off to the footy".

I generally try and fail this video mode early on. It offends me.

Lyrtsch

Jun 16, 2014
The EB-or-35M bonus is just what makes Video Mode all the more excruciating. A lousy couple million if you miss just even one. You WANT to smack the first car that you can, then you do it enough times that you forget how to do that perfect run when you actually need it.

UWAAAAGH!
UWAAAAGH!

Although I must admit it would be a bit nicer if every run was followed by WHERE'D YOU LEARN TO DRIVE, SON!?, because Mr. Nice Try clearly isn't paying attention either.

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
The real question is how those damn pedestrians avoid all those cars! :)
No, the REAL question is what the hell they all think they're doing on the highway in the first place!

But anyway, I never understood all the hate that this pin gets. Okay, the video mode IS annoying and I wish someone would erase it out of the game completely, but the gameplay of the table itself isn't too bad? I find it to be a rather fun game, really.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm going to have to go back to CBW. I'd forgotten how truly atrocious the video MODEs - plural - are in this game.

In Video Mode 1 you have 3 seconds, with no clues, to pick a card at random from 3 and you might get a very bad DMD rendition of "Elvis" for 20M, a moose for 10M, a cactus cowboy for 5M, or a steaming pile of cow excrement for 0.

In Video Mode 2 you have to catch 4 randomly falling balls in a notch you can move left or right. Most of the time, the randomly falling ball appears so far away from where the notch is, there's no way to catch it. I'm not sure how many points you get for all 4, I've only ever caught the first 2 (2M & 5M).

The table loves to "award" you these video modes, and will spam you with call-outs to shoot the ramp to start them. Even worse, the ramp is essential to getting big scores in the game and you can't avoid them.

Blech.

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014
I'm going to have to go back to CBW. I'd forgotten how truly atrocious the video MODEs - plural - are in this game.

In Video Mode 1 you have 3 seconds, with no clues, to pick a card at random from 3 and you might get a very bad DMD rendition of "Elvis" for 20M, a moose for 10M, a cactus cowboy for 5M, or a steaming pile of cow excrement for 0.

In Video Mode 2 you have to catch 4 randomly falling balls in a notch you can move left or right. Most of the time, the randomly falling ball appears so far away from where the notch is, there's no way to catch it. I'm not sure how many points you get for all 4, I've only ever caught the first 2 (2M & 5M).

The table loves to "award" you these video modes, and will spam you with call-outs to shoot the ramp to start them. Even worse, the ramp is essential to getting big scores in the game and you can't avoid them.

Blech.

+1, this was boring me so much on my long game on it, but the way u described it made my day, tx :p

TomL

Mar 12, 2013

Blech.

Well said. This makes me appreciate good video more. For instance, the shuttlecraft maze in STTNG at least offers a quick 25M points if you'd rather not pilot the maze.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.