Worst Video Mode Ever

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
So I don't really play this game often but I decided to go for the unfinished goals. I never really did much in video mode except crash instantly. I finally took it serious and got through without hitting any cars or pedestrians and got a "nice try" and a measley 390k points. I ended up giving it another go and hit a couple pedestrians trying to avoid cars. All of a suddent I am over a million points in the mode. Who in their right mind designed this? It seems completely irresponsible and devoid of any humor (kind of like GTA but that game is comical).

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
I thought the worst one was in CBW.

Seriously, you have to kill as many pedestrians as possible. Why, I don't know. The exact same video mode is in GNR and SWT... but in SWT, it's at least a bit better because you're on a bike in Endor. That's pretty cool.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Yeah, I did the same thing when I first played. Avoided pedestrains. Afterall, why would Harley Davidson approve the concept of running over people?

On the flipside, torpedoeing water skiiers in FT is a total blast.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
My problem with the HD video mode is how often it comes up. Wish it was limited to once or twice a game.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I don't mind Cue Ball Wizard. Pretty similar to Champion Pub. I like that kaboom style game. The other mode is pointless though.

Theater is odd. Video pinball in a pinball. Probably the most pointless but the senseless violence of Harley is outrageous. Motorcyclists have a bad enough rep (which I never understood until I lived in California and now I have no patience or respect for anyone on a motorcycle out there). At least in star wars trilogy you are taking out stormtroopers. That makes sense.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
My problem with the HD video mode is how often it comes up. Wish it was limited to once or twice a game.
Agreed, this is why the HD video mode sucks, I have to play it waaaay too often. All video modes pretty much suck tho...

The CBW wizard video mode where you catch the balls seems too fast in TPA. I recall it being much easier on the real machine. Anyone else agree?

Last edited:

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
Yeah, me too. Seriously, up until one day where I decided to read the instructions, I thought you were supposed to avoid running over people rather than actually running them over. Really odd.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
The purpose of this game in general is to be a gay motorcyclist douchebag that gets hit on by cops. That is why it is one of my favorite tables. The concept is so ridiculous. The objective of video mode is to hit all of the pedestrians (because you are a douchebag) and avoid all vehicles. Hitting all pedestrians gives you an extra ball, unless you are maxed out on extra ball, in which case it will award you a ton of points (6,500,000 for getting perfect and 35,000,000 as the reward in place of the extra ball, if memory serves me correctly.) Also, once you memorize the pattern, it is easy to get a perfect score every time.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Theatre of magic video mode is one of my favourites, but that doesn't say much as at the same time I don't think there is much between my most favourite and least favourite video mode if you know what I mean.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Could you please expound more on this theory? I don't know if your comment is offensive or not?

"How's about a ticket . . . to the policeman's ball." -If this isn't a gay cop hitting on you, I don't know what it is
The douchebag part is the hitting pedestrians part.

Okay, I guess being hit on by cops doesn't imply that you are gay. But it means the cop THINKS you are gay

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks Gorgar. I just believe everyone is created equal and I am not very tolerant of bias towards any person no matter who they are.

Now back on subject. I hate all video modes except T2; the reason being is that's the only one I've completed consistently. I have had a couple extra balls on TOM. I think the most saucers I've ever hit in AFM were 9. I can't see me ever hitting all those saucers to complete the mode.

I still have a lot of fun trying.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Thanks Gorgar. I just believe everyone is created equal and I am not very tolerant of bias towards any person no matter who they are.

Now back on subject. I hate all video modes except T2; the reason being is that's the only one I've completed consistently. I have had a couple extra balls on TOM. I think the most saucers I've ever hit in AFM were 9. I can't see me ever hitting all those saucers to complete the mode.

I still have a lot of fun trying.

The AFM video mode isn't as hard as it seems. the key is to only move to the corner instead of sweeping all the way back and forth. No bullets should strike the side of the DMD. as long as you keep the sweeping back and forth in that range, you should be able to make it if you use your smart bomb.

I agree CBW's both are horrible, though. one is all luck, and the other has a lot of it, and you have to play them a lot. shuttle simulation is hard for me, and was the standard goal that had me stuck for a while.

A lot of video modes that are in games that are not in TPA are easy. Getaway is one (and it probably will make it into TPA), and dr. who is another one (this one might be harder to arrange).

night

May 18, 2012

+1
Almost all our neighbors here in Amsterdam are gay and some are close friends of us, no need to use gays as a subject to ridicule.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
The main problem with the HD video mode is that it pops up too often. So boring the 15th time in a row. :/ And yes, kill pedestrians (who walk on the highway?) is kind of... weird (moreover on a pinball table dedicated to bikers).

The video mode I like the most is on CFTBL. Great music, great sound FX, great graphics. Pam Pam Pam Pam Pam, OUgh, Ough!

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Agreed, this is why the HD video mode sucks, I have to play it waaaay too often. All video modes pretty much suck tho...

The CBW wizard video mode where you catch the balls seems too fast in TPA. I recall it being much easier on the real machine. Anyone else agree?

It's a lot easier in real life. I think it is slower. Maybe an operator setting?

I love the video in the Getaway. Simply shift up 5 times when video mode is flashing and avoid the cars. Still haven't figured out how to get the extra ball though as it always seems to fly by on the opposite lane.

Members online

Members online