1st Fish Finder always "lite extra ball"?

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
It looks like the first time I trigger the Fish Finder in a game it will always go to "lite extra ball". Is this the case on the actual machine or a bug? Seems pretty generous if so.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Known issue related to the ROM save state. They tried a workaround in the beta, but with no success.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I actually played so long that I was going to post to the contrary and remembered that it resets the rom every first game.

I guess if you want easier games it's a nearly guaranteed extra ball. It's more fun to play many though.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
1st 1's FREE! pinball dealers! Maybe Pro could fix that then just make that the state of the game, although incorrect it wouldn't be the 1st time FS dabbled to make the game NOT 2 easy.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I actually find the real table easier if you can believe that.

fresh_prince_amazed.gif

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
Granted the TPA version was handing me extra balls like it was candy. I still can't hit the fastcast though, it's maddening!

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
Granted the TPA version was handing me extra balls like it was candy. I still can't hit the fastcast though, it's maddening!

Fastcast finally achieved, not by normal methods though. It just irks me about the first fish finder always handing out extra balls on the first one. I hope that's a bug and not an "EASY" ROM setting.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
It's because of the extra ball self percentage feature, i think.

And yeah until we get it to save state between games, there's no real fix for it.

That said, the fish finder is very fair in real life, and WILL always hand out the light extra ball if you hit it enough. SO i don't think this is that much of a problem.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012

+1 That's gonna be one hell of an TPA table then, because the last time I played the real one, it handed me my @ss back on a silver plate. I got the impression that nothing short of precise play will lead to lengthy affairs, because wild balls were draining like flies that're droppin'. It also seemed like an awfully big gap between those lightning flippers....I had fun though, it's a silly but nicely implemented theme and it has some strategy to it. I loved watching Bowen Kerrins tackling the table in that PAPA tutorial, he always seems to make it look easy while being very self-deprecating. Awesome to look at and at the same time very funny!

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
It's not like it's the only one. 1812, space shuttle, Ripleys and probably some more always light extra ball first time as "random" reward.

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
It's because of the extra ball self percentage feature, i think.

And yeah until we get it to save state between games, there's no real fix for it.

That said, the fish finder is very fair in real life, and WILL always hand out the light extra ball if you hit it enough. SO i don't think this is that much of a problem.

I guess the irony of this is that I've played probably 50 of these tables out there and I can't recall any more than 5% handing out an extra ball on the first fish finder. Sure, you hit it enough times and you'll get it anyways, but I enjoy the randomness of it.

Eric Kerst

Sep 8, 2012
It looks like the first time I trigger the Fish Finder in a game it will always go to "lite extra ball". Is this the case on the actual machine or a bug? Seems pretty generous if so.

There are some serious bugs in older rom sets, my physical table has rom L4 installed and and rewards 4 million on fish finder 99% of the time (not only on first time). L5 is the latest rom released, if they use it on TPA I assume not all bugs where fixed.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Fastcast finally achieved, not by normal methods though. It just irks me about the first fish finder always handing out extra balls on the first one. I hope that's a bug and not an "EASY" ROM setting.

See my post above.

Yeah, I saw that. Still, I find some of the other tables a little too generous.

No, I meant my post about this issue being related to the ROM save state.

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...xtra-ball-quot?p=122511&viewfull=1#post122511

P.S. sorry for the late reply.

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
There are some serious bugs in older rom sets, my physical table has rom L4 installed and and rewards 4 million on fish finder 99% of the time (not only on first time). L5 is the latest rom released, if they use it on TPA I assume not all bugs where fixed.

The extra ball awards from things like that obey the extra ball percent setting. so say if you have it on extra ball play instead of special play because your machien is home use, the extra balls from replays will crowd it off the fish finder.

many games will hand it out first thing every time because at the start of TPA play, the number of extra balls awarded is 0, so it's below percentage.

the fix to this is actually pretty simple. treat a restart as a slam tilt, and KEEP the audits.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.