Strategy guide to reach easily 3M points

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Strategy guide to reach "easily" 3M points

Hello Pinball Fans!

Since last week, I worked to get this famous wizard goal, because I wanted it to be done before the release of the PS3 megapatch (previously before Christmas, now delayed to January...)

Whatever, playing "wildly" (I thought that nudge was the key), I barely reached around 1.3-1.5M points per (good) game, and one time 2.2M points with a lot of luck. And a lot of crappy scores too (under 1M).

So, I decided to build a strategy... and by following it strictly, it took me only four attempts to reach easily 3.2M points (and once done, I play wildly again to lose the remaining balls quickly, in order to save.)

This strategy is very simple and consists mainly to "hold trap" the ball as much as possible, and to avoid at all cost some particular shots.

Follow this strategy strictly, and I guarantee you that this wizard goal will become a piece of cake.

Here we go.

Note: this strategy works fine on the PS3 version, it should be OK for the others versions too.

I. Required settings

- Choose 3 balls in the table settings.
Some targets score a lot more points (2000pts against 500pts, 10.000pts against 2500pts). Scoring is waaayyy quicker than with 5 balls.

- Turn off the dual-stage flippers setting.
Thanks, captain Obvious.

- Play with the Camera 2 angle, unlocked.
The best main view to aim, the best zoom to the mini-playfield, and the smoother transition between the zoomed view and the main view.

- Turn off the scoring displayer.
You don't need to track your score, nor the number of balls you have. It distracts, and induces more stress.

- Mute the volume of the table.
Genie sound design can play with your nerves. Listen peaceful music or music you love instead (when I succeeded, I was listening this :p)

- Read carefully the table instructions.
Know your ennemy! Know perfectly the scoring system will make you take the good decision at the right moment.

II. How to play

- HOLD TRAP! (or at least TRAP!)
Trap the ball on the flipper as much as you can (a hold trap is when you are able to cradle the ball in an upraised flipper such that it is not moving, see here). In fact, trap the ball before each shot if you can (i.e. you're sure about your attempt success to cradle the ball).

- DO NOT let the ball goes crazy!
That's the first cause of losing a ball. Especially on Genie, where the ball physics is kind of weird. With a safe ball trapped on your flipper, you can easily aim, and you're not overflowed. Yeah, it's boring to play like that, but it's the easiest way to get the wizard goal.

- Nudge constantly... but softly.
In order to trap the ball, you will have to nudge sometimes to avoid center drains, or to prevent the ball going up in the inlane and drain in the outlane. Generally speaking, nudge softly to control the ball at every moment, in each area of the table.

- Do not focus on the extra ball stacking glitch.
Once you get one extra ball (you can focus on this), do not search to get another one because of the glitch. If it happens, it's good, otherwise, try to get another extra ball is the best way to lose the current ball (moreover, the glitch is inconstant).

- Even if you lose the two first balls quickly, continue to play.
Never give up. As you can get an extra-ball (and maybe more than one with the glitch), a good game can start on the 3rd and last ball.

- Strictly follow the strategy rules.
Do only the authorized shots (see below), avoid at all cost the forbidden shots, and do the risky shots only if it's necessary. Follow the same scoring pattern as much as you can, and you will reach 3M points, for sure.

III. Shots and scoring strategy

1zqfvv5.jpg

#1 is the safest way to go through the spinner. Trap the ball, and flip a second after you release the ball. If you miss, the ball is slow enough to be able to nudge, and avoid some critical situations. #4 is another way to go through the spinner without danger, for the same reason.

Use #3 to shoot the star targets after a trapped ball. Even if you miss, the ball won't go crazy, and most of the time, it comes back slowly on the right flipper. And you can retry. Do some kind of backflip for the rightmost target.

#2 is the only shot you have to do when you want to access directly the mini-playfield. Do not try another shot. Moreover, by doing this, you can hit, sometimes, the extra-ball target. When the ball comes on the mini-playfield, lift the upper left flipper, softly nudge, and you can trap the ball on it.

Finally, #5 is the safest shot to go to the scoring hole, but it's not a consistent shot, especially after a hold trap. It's easier to shot when the ball rolls (simple trap) or "on the fly". "Backflip" with the right flipper works too, but not if the ball was trapped (some shots after a cradled ball will work though, but it's tricky).

6yfsiw.jpg

When attempting the #1 shot to go through the spinner, be careful to not do the #1 shot. SDTM occurs a lot.

The #2 shot seems to be an useful and legitimate shot, but it is one of the worst! Avoid at all cost.

The #3 shot seems legitimate too, but I think it's the one which leads the most to SDTM... when missed (i.e. you don't go through the spinner). If you go through the spinner, it's OK, otherwise, you're doomed.

Finally, the #4 shot, is the last "tempting" shot. But this one leads 90% of time to the dangerous left side rollovers. Avoid it.

29xi649.jpg

I use the #1 shot only if the rightmost target is the only one up and lit. Otherwise, it's safer to do the #3 shot to reset the star targets.

Same story for the #2 shot, only if there is one remaining star target, lit.

The #3 shot is the most risky shot above all. But it gives an extra ball. The white target can be shot after a trapped ball, but the ball return is unpredictable. The red target is even more difficult to shoot, because you have to wait the last moment to flip. In the two cases, be very careful. Some shots on the fly will work too (especially for the red target).
You can also wait that the ball hits the target "by luck", but it induces you lose the ball control for a moment.

EDIT: see skippycue tips at the end of this post for shooting a lit special without danger.

14csk0m.jpg

A-B-C is the main scheme of play. Pass through the spinner to raise the bonus value (A), the ball hits the bumper (B), which lights the star targets (C). Repeat this scheme as much as you can, to increase the bonus value.

You can shoot G once you're at least at +20.000 points and X4.

Sometimes, after A, the ball goes to the mini-playfield (D). If you can, try to shoot the white targets first (it lights the white target in F, easier to shot, see the risky shot #3). Try to stay as long as possible in the mini-playfield, because shoot all the targets gives a lot of points (especially the white ones, when lit). You can "hold trap" the ball here too.

To escape safely from the mini-playfield, you can trap the ball on the upper left flipper, and try to shoot E, and at the same time, score a rollover (and light the mini-playfield extra-ball, once all letters are done).

If you see that the ball goes to the very dangerous area (Z), be ready to nudge to make the ball go to the right (as soon as possible, with a strong nudge, tha ball will roll on one the rollover "corner" and escape).
Do not go through the ABC letters, only the D letter is safe.
If the ball still goes to the Y area, you're pretty doomed at this moment, unless the ball has enough velocity: with a strong nudge, you can pass above or under the bumper, and escape.

But despite all your effort, you will go to the "death zone" (X). At this point, pray, or when the ball comes in contact with the rubber between the inlane/outlane, at this right moment (and only this moment, not before!), nudge very softly to turn the odds. But be careful: a too early nudge (or too strong) can possibly throw the ball toward this damned left outlane... whereas it was falling safely to the right.

To finish, remember that when you hold trap (T), the ball can go up until the outlane, or slowly drain to the center. Be always ready to softly nudge.

That's all. Follow strictly all these tips, take your time (the game can last, as you will totally stop the ball a lot), breathe deeply, and don't be tempted to check the score.
And it will happen more quickly than you think. Three sacred words: Goal 5 completed.

Then, lose for being able to save your game. ^^

Merry Christmas, Pinball Fans!

EDIT: skippycue useful advices and video

Just thought I'd check out the Genie community since I've now successfully scored over 3 mil on the PS Vita, PS3, and PS4 versions of the game! :) I did this each time using the 5 ball version of the game simply to give myself more chances at earning extra balls. For me the scoring came mostly from the bonus hole so extra points on the bumpers was not significant. I think most of what you said is very good advice, but I do have a couple things to add.

First, on the left side of the table, it is almost always ok to go down the B slot. This tends to hit the left bank in that area when it drops down which pushes the ball out safely below the bumper. It is not 100%, but it's definitely around 90% success. So I would say if you have the ability to nudge the ball and you can't prevent it from falling down, D is of course the best option, but B is a close second. It is important though that when you let it go down B you DON'T nudge it at all unless you notice it is not popping out like it is supposed to. Nudging screws up the default momentum that normally pushes the ball out of there.

Second, I actually think it's better to light up the special (the four red targets at the top) instead of the extra ball (the three white targets at the top). There is a very safe way to grab the special with much less risk than trying to hit the white extra ball target. I found that going for the white target is an unfortunately aggressive shot and often bounces straight back down the center. You can hit the special with a quick backhand shot from the right flipper, and if you miss, the ball drops nicely onto the upper left flipper to be caught and then dropped back down to the lower right flipper. Here is a video demonstrating this technique:

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
That is well thought out and very nicely presented. I still think 3 Mil is beyond my reach, but it will at least improve me score. Thanks Tann.

N

netizen

I really like Genie when I get into it, even though it is surprisingly unforgiving. This guide may be just the thing to help shatter that 3 M goal. :D

thx

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
The formatting gets wonky on a narrower screen such as an iPad; the images get scaled down but the text next to them stays wide with its own scrollbar so you have to scroll left-to-right to read it. Can I suggest reflowing it with the text inline below each picture?

But yes, great guide.

Also, I've found that the Score Bonus hole is quite hittable directly from a trap on the lower right flipper. Might vary by platform but the backflip move works fine for me on Steam/Windows.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I agree on most except the tip to dont worry if the first two balls don't go great. In such a difficult table, why not take every chance you have got to succeed, especially since there is absolutely nothing that carries over from one ball to the other. If the 3rd ball is a great one, if you restart the game after every crappy ball this "3rd ball" will be your first ball of another game, and you will have 2+ more to get the goal.

What does this mean: "Turn off the dual-stage flippers setting"?!

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I have tried your strategy now and I believe the major contribution in your fantastic guide are the safe/risky/forbidden shots guides. It provides a good strategy to "unlock" the game but I wouldn't say that this makes the game tight or "not wild". No matter how good you are it is virtually impossible to control this game, it's just too bouncy and irratic.

So, although this guide by far offers the best advices on this table, it sure doesn't make it "easy" to kick that 3M-goal...it just gives you a standing chance! This table, as with all pinball, is a matter of chance and by playing a lot of games with a good probability, you will in the end make your goal.

I am not too sure about the cradling-advice. The flippers are to horizontal to efficiently cradle the balls, I would say that only every 2nd ball can be cradled safely. Some can be cradled well by nudging them from one end to the other (which reduces the speed). But, cradling as a strategy will allow for too many risky drains where it slowly drops off the end of the flipper (which is a horrible drain!).

I find the bonus collecting-hole shot being really difficult, by the way. Can you guys make it on a consistent basis?

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
My final comments before finishing off today:

- This method is great but it does not by FAR make you "easily reach 3M". It gives you a better chance and a good strategy.
- The safe/risky-shot maps are excellent.
- The idea to not restart a bad ball I think is not a very good one.
- I don't agree about not nudging on the left outlane. I find you can save more left outlanes by side nudging just after it comes out.
- I believe that controlled shots (stop/cradle) is a good idea but should not be a general rule, since the speed is often too high for the flipper to be able to cradle it. I would suggest that you should cradle it when you KNOW it is safe, if you are uncertain it is less risky to shoot on a rolling ball.

The reason that this awesome guide still won't make you "easily" reach 3M is that although you can now control the obvious quick-drains, which are one of the problems, it cannot address the problem that the ball comes down to the flippers in random ways that cannot be controlled. The table still has too many "outs" and un-controllable ball patterns.

I don't really see how anything can be done further than this guide though since the rest is up to chance. I believe my points improved by some 20-30% after following this guide and I made a new high score on 1.8M, and I had my 3-4 last balls drain quite quickly so there is definitely a chance. My average ball is about 60'000 before bonus but it's not the average balls that will give you a great high score, it's the Super Balls that you get once in a while. It's when you get the 5x bonus and score it several times in one ball!

A 20-30% imporovement may be a key to not having to play 2.000 games to reach 3M but rather just 1.000 games. I wonder if I'm up for it! :)

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Also, I've found that the Score Bonus hole is quite hittable directly from a trap on the lower right flipper. Might vary by platform but the backflip move works fine for me on Steam/Windows.

It doesn't happen on PS3 (trapped, the ball has not enough velocity to reach the scoring hole). But I will retry to check.

Sorry for the post presentation, I thought it would be better with pictures and text side-to-side (I used HTML table, without borders, that's why the text is not formatted on your smaller screen, I guess).

EDIT: I think it's OK now, I set a relative size for the table, it will be well displayed on any screen size.

I agree on most except the tip to dont worry if the first two balls don't go great. In such a difficult table, why not take every chance you have got to succeed, especially since there is absolutely nothing that carries over from one ball to the other. If the 3rd ball is a great one, if you restart the game after every crappy ball this "3rd ball" will be your first ball of another game, and you will have 2+ more to get the goal.

It makes sense... but let's say you earn two extra-balls on this 3rd ball (so you're back to the 1st ball), and scores a lot of points (let's say 1M). Who knows if it would be the same thing if you had restart a game (frustrated by your previous crappy game...)
Now, you're on your first ball, back from the dead, with a good amount of points, and it's like you start the game from this point. Very good for the mental strength. ^^

What does this mean: "Turn off the dual-stage flippers setting"?!

It's in the main menu options. If it's "on", you have to press harder the buttons to activate the upper flippers (see > http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/2186-Two-stage-flippers-poll)

I have tried your strategy now and I believe the major contribution in your fantastic guide are the safe/risky/forbidden shots guides. It provides a good strategy to "unlock" the game but I wouldn't say that this makes the game tight or "not wild". No matter how good you are it is virtually impossible to control this game, it's just too bouncy and irratic.

The key is to prevent the ball to go "crazy" (bouncy and erratic). The safe shots work well... but some will be missed of course. In this case, you have to struggle to take control again. But globally, it happens MUCH less.

So, although this guide by far offers the best advices on this table, it sure doesn't make it "easy" to kick that 3M-goal...it just gives you a standing chance! This table, as with all pinball, is a matter of chance and by playing a lot of games with a good probability, you will in the end make your goal.

Luck is still involved, of course. But by following this strategy, I score now mostly around 1.7-2M (I didn't success yet to improve my 3.2M, though). No more 300K-500K crappy games. Reach consistantly 2M each game, it's a good start to turn the odds, don't you think? That's why I find it's an easy way! :p

I am not too sure about the cradling-advice. The flippers are to horizontal to efficiently cradle the balls, I would say that only every 2nd ball can be cradled safely. Some can be cradled well by nudging them from one end to the other (which reduces the speed). But, cradling as a strategy will allow for too many risky drains where it slowly drops off the end of the flipper (which is a horrible drain!).

Like I said in the guide, hold trap when you can, because it's the "safest" way to control the game. For sure, you can't avoid "forbidden" shots when you're about to lose the ball after a bad trap.
Finally, it's a just a matter of "feeling" and adaptability (I don't know how to say it in English :p)

I find the bonus collecting-hole shot being really difficult, by the way. Can you guys make it on a consistent basis?

Yep, it's not a consistent shot. For me, it hits sometimes the right wall, or the ball doesn't land perfectly on the hole.

I would suggest that you should cradle it when you KNOW it is safe, if you are uncertain it is less risky to shoot on a rolling ball.

You're totally right on this. I wasn't very clear in my explanation.

I made a new high score on 1.8M, and I had my 3-4 last balls drain quite quickly so there is definitely a chance

Glad to hear this... 1.2M left, it's just two good balls (2 x 600.000) ;)

It's when you get the 5x bonus and score it several times in one ball!

Don't forget the mini-playfield targets. It scores a lot of points if you hit all of they several times (especially the white ones). Mix the two (scoring hole and mini-playfield) is the key.

Thanks for your feedback, I will make some modifications to the OP.

Last edited:

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I believe I must be doing something wrong since my average game is about 500-600k :/ I guess since nudging is so important in this game and nudging sideways is a bit tricky on iPad, that could be one reason. I haven't played this very much, except for lately, so with experience and numbers, the points will go up.

Regarding the strategy to discard bad balls. Let's say you score 80k on your first ball and 30k on your second. Then you have an awesome game and score 2.2M on your third ball (including extra balls), you would end the game with a 2.3M end score, but if you would have discarded the first two, you would start ball #2 with a 2.2M, and by so having a great chance of 3M.

You mentioned, however, that if you get more than one extra ball on your third ball, it will "count back" to ball 1. Is that how it works, or is it because of the extra ball glitch? If it is the extra ball glitch, it could happen on your first ball - if it is an actual and consistent functionality I see a bigger point of NOT discarding mediocre first balls.

I think that dual filpper option has to do with PS3...

Thanks again for a great guide!

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
2.5M now...tilted away 150k on my 2nd last ball and was really afraid that would have been the points that would have given me the 3M (played with HUD-off)...was quite relieved to see it was only 2.5M. This could actually be a motivation to keep the HUD-on, in order to make the right decisions when you are getting close.

I played now with a 5-ball setting and start to lean towards this being the better option since you have more chances of scoring the bonus (which is the major point provider in this game).

It also brings another interesting question. When do you nudge in the Danger Zone. When it hits the "floor" or do you leave it for the center drain in order to rescue it? If you do both there is a risk of a tilt (as is what happened to me).

Last edited:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
You mentioned, however, that if you get more than one extra ball on your third ball, it will "count back" to ball 1. Is that how it works, or is it because of the extra ball glitch? If it is the extra ball glitch, it could happen on your first ball - if it is an actual and consistent functionality I see a bigger point of NOT discarding mediocre first balls.

It's because of the extra ball glitch. The table instructions say that only one extra-ball can be awarded by ball in play. And yes, it works since the first ball (in that case, the number of remaining balls disappears!).

But it seems we don't have the same idea about a good starting game! ^^

No matter when you have a good ball (with a lot of points and extra-balls), it have to be done to achieve this goal.

Let's say:
- 2 bad first balls
- A very good 3rd ball with 2 extra-balls
- Go back to the 2nd ball, and another good ball with 1 extra ball again.
- You're on your second ball with a lot of points.

That's the same than score two good first balls with 1 extra ball per ball in play (without the glitch). You're on your second ball with a lot of points too. ;)

But like I said, track the score/number of balls is not a good move. The key is to play as long as possible each ball, and earn at least one extra-ball per ball.

By the way, I improved my high-score yesterday by doing this: 3.472.760pts (+250K). I modified some parts of the strategy (focus more on the mini-playfield targets - a lot of #2 shot-, and less on the scoring hole), and it worked well.

2.5M now...tilted away 150k on my 2nd last ball and was really afraid that would have been the points that would have given me the 3M (played with HUD-off)...was quite relieved to see it was only 2.5M. This could actually be a motivation to keep the HUD-on, in order to make the right decisions when you are getting close.

Yeah, almost! For the scoring displayer, it's 50-50. If you are a cold-blooded player, let it on. But for my part, approaching the 3 millions and knowing it, it's too much stress and it makes me badly play. ^^

I played now with a 5-ball setting and start to lean towards this being the better option since you have more chances of scoring the bonus (which is the major point provider in this game).

If you can endure a very long game, why not. But with the 5-ball setting, you must rely only on the bonus hole, as the other things score almost nothing (compared to the 3 ball setting).
I've tried this, but now, I'm convinced that 3 ball setting is the best option.

It also brings another interesting question. When do you nudge in the Danger Zone. When it hits the "floor" or do you leave it for the center drain in order to rescue it? If you do both there is a risk of a tilt (as is what happened to me).

When I see (well, when I can see) that the ball, leaving the mini-playfield, goes in the Danger Zone, I nudge (one strong nudge, and only one!) as soon as possible. When the ball hits one of the rollover "corners", it's enough to make the ball escape to the right.

If the ball goes still through a rollover (A-B-C), I gauge if the ball has enough velocity: if yes, a normal nudge is enough to pass above or under the bumper and escape. If not, I touch nothing, and I wait the very last moment (when the ball comes in contact with the "rubber" between the inlane and the outlane), to very softly nudge and saves the day. But it works only if the ball is slow. Otherwise, I rely on luck.

By the way, you were right on this point, I will change it on the strategy guide.

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Do we actually know how the extra ball glitch works? It happened to me only once, never again in several hours of play, so I don't know. I'm wondering if it has something to do with tilting, since the ball-in-play counter always temporarily rolls backwards during the bonus count, and I know I tilted a few times in the one game that it happened.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
It has nothing to do with the tilt. I believe I have experienced it mostly when I have scored an extra ball and lit (but not achieved) the ABCD-extra ball, but I haven't confirmed that...it's more of a general feeling.

Does anyone know a good way to get the ball from the right to the left flipper?

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
Two more tips:

- When the ball is the bonus hole. Keep your finger on the nudge right, 1 out of 7 times it will go STDM from the bonus hole, but can be easily saved.
- The same goes for the D in the "Danger Zone". Most of the time it will bounce on the bumper sometimes it just slides down the drain, it needs to be nudged to the right flipper. So keep your finger ready for it!

I wouldn't say #2 in Tann's graph is a very safe shot. It is very difficult and could lead to uncontrolled ball patterns. If you make it, and the two left drop targets are down, it will bounce right back mostly. I'd actually prefer the #3 "forbidden" shot from the right flipper if I want to go to the mini playfield.

Many of the risky/safe shots that goes towards the drop targets are quite different depending on which target you shoot at, and depending on whether the target is up or down. Hitting the leftmost target, when its down, from your right flipper is an insta-drain for example.

Members online

Members online