Request Tournament mode for each table

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
I would like to have a tournament mode for each table available.

That means:
- no extra balls (only 3 balls)
- more difficult tilt settings
- PAPA tournament settings (e.g. removed outlane posts)
- tweaked awards
- etc.

Also the tournament mode should have their own leaderboards.
Because of this, playtime and luck will be decreased and highscores will more reflect your skill.
Right now, tables like RBION will give you 2-3 extra balls just because of lucky shots. It's not skill based.
What do you think?

Last edited:

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I would like to see an idiots mode for me;

That means:
- ball savers on twice as long
- twice as many extra balls or replays
- double extra balls for specials

etc ;)

Seriously thats a good idea, there can be a huge difference between a game where everything goes your way and one where everything heads for the drain.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I would like to see the option for replays instead of extra ball on special. Some stern tables have a button on the machine for tournament mode, so for the games that support it, I would like to see this included.

Tryton1000

May 23, 2012
I dont know how the tournament button on stern machines change the rules, Maybe if they just follow papa rules?

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I think they should switch the special to giving credits instead of extra balls. Maybe have the credits used towards something else. On the 360 Black Hole, it seemed too easy to build up extra balls. I definitely want to see the tournament mode too, though.

Stormchild

Jun 24, 2012
I too would like to see tournament modes on all the tables that support it.

While it would be non-trivial to implement, what I'd really like is to be able to access attract mode, from which tournament mode can be enabled on many machines, plus it would allow access to some of the easter eggs as well. Barring that, though, just a toggle in the settings for tournament mode would be great.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I'm in complete agreement. Many of the tables (the older pre-DMD tables even more so) would benefit from making the games shorter and less random when you're actually trying for a high score. They already have plans for tournament and challenge stuff judging by the buttons in the game UI so it would make sense to use a no extra ball mode for those.

pacreis

Jun 8, 2012
Tournament mode or a no extra ball mode is really needed. I'm starting to get more than 1 hour games and I'm only playing for the wizards goals. As soon as I finish all wizard goals in all tables and start to play for only high scores i'm gonna start getting infinite extra balls and 2 hours plus games in some tables. This makes pinball arcade become a game of resistance and not a game of skill if you achieve a certain level of gameplay skill. :(

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I would love that as well. While Pinball is already one of the quickest games I know in terms of playtime, as you get better, a good game can still last way too long!

Dan

Feb 28, 2012
Can somebody please explain how come the same tables in Visual Pinball are much harder and I guess closer to the real tables then? Is Farsight catering to the casual gamers???

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
so i'll just copy/paste this here :eek:

tournaments + option for a tournament mode to play when desired...

something akin to a hard mode in other games

that'd be really nice :rolleyes:

Dumpstar

Apr 17, 2012
I could see 3 modes being the end result. An easy one with 5 balls, extended ball savers etc so a novice can get used to the table. Only local high scores are kept.

Normal mode, which is what we have now. only local high scores kept. But it is where you unlock Tournament mode (complete standard goals, some wizard goals feel near impossible to perform).

And a Tournament mode which for me is the only place that your scores should be compared to others (though I still think it should only be compared to others on the same platform, or be able to be filtered this way).

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
You probably aren't ready for competitive tournament play then. In fact, I think having to complete all the table goals is a great prerequisite to unlocking tournament mode access on a given table.
Tournaments generally have multiple skill divisions. You do not need to be a world-class player to enjoy competitive pinball. Limiting the tournament field to those who have completed the wizard goals on a given table excludes an entire class of players, and perhaps the vast majority in a case like RBION's Atlantis and Frog Frenzy goals. If a limitation is desired, maybe the "A" division could require all wizard goals on all its tables, but the other divisions should not have such restrictions. Personally, I don't think the "A" division should either. You can see my high scores below; while I'm obviously not the best here, it should also be obvious I'm not a novice either. I don't have the Atlantis goal checked off. Would you exclude me from a tournament that had RBION as one of its tables because of that?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I don't have the Atlantis goal checked off. Would you exclude me from a tournament that had RBION as one of its tables because of that?
Hell yes, I don't want no scrubs in my league :p

On a serious note,

- 3 levels of play for solo play where possible (not all tables will be able to allow for that). Leaderboard listings for both Normal and Wizard mode
- top level is called Wizard mode and is the hardest setting possible for the table. Think incline, number of balls, no extra balls or specials, brutal outlanes (all depends on ROMs whats possible)
- Tournaments can be run on all 3 levels (complication: how do you prevent an A-level player to join a C-tournament).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.