Request Tournament mode for each table

Dumpstar

Apr 17, 2012
You probably aren't ready for competitive tournament play then. In fact, I think having to complete all the table goals is a great prerequisite to unlocking tournament mode access on a given table.

Ah but when your only playing on the iphone 4, nudging is just too hard at times. I seem to only want to ever nudge with my right hand, thus the nudge is always the same way, if I have a joystick it would be so much easier to nudge when I want.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Tournaments generally have multiple skill divisions. You do not need to be a world-class player to enjoy competitive pinball. Limiting the tournament field to those who have completed the wizard goals on a given table excludes an entire class of players, and perhaps the vast majority in a case like RBION's Atlantis and Frog Frenzy goals. If a limitation is desired, maybe the "A" division could require all wizard goals on all its tables, but the other divisions should not have such restrictions. Personally, I don't think the "A" division should either. You can see my high scores below; while I'm obviously not the best here, it should also be obvious I'm not a novice either. I don't have the Atlantis goal checked off. Would you exclude me from a tournament that had RBION as one of its tables because of that?

Go figure, I've gotten Atlantis and Frog Frenzy twice, but still haven't beaten MM for the kingdom or video mode! I think having multiple divisions would be a good idea, but there is the potential for people to dump their save file so they can compete and clean up at a lower level. Just sayin'. Don't know how you'd sort that out.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Go figure, I've gotten Atlantis and Frog Frenzy twice, but still haven't beaten MM for the kingdom or video mode! I think having multiple divisions would be a good idea, but there is the potential for people to dump their save file so they can compete and clean up at a lower level. Just sayin'. Don't know how you'd sort that out.

Or for them to just play on a fresh account, ie "smurfing", and ruin it for those who are actually on the level of that league/division/tournament level. I think in the end you should just go with 1 level and setting of tournament.

gjarnling

Jun 12, 2012
the new Kickstarterfor ST:TNG mention a Pro version. the last Kickstarter only said you would get a version with access to the OM. since they have decided to call it the Pro version, maybe the testing with OM have fallen well out? I remember them mentioning TZ would be a test when it comes to OM, so maybe I'm getting a head of things, but I really hope so. I would gladly pay to get a Pro version (OM access) of all the tables.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
the new Kickstarterfor ST:TNG mention a Pro version. the last Kickstarter only said you would get a version with access to the OM. since they have decided to call it the Pro version, maybe the testing with OM have fallen well out? I remember them mentioning TZ would be a test when it comes to OM, so maybe I'm getting a head of things, but I really hope so. I would gladly pay to get a Pro version (OM access) of all the tables.

I doubt they are in that stage of development for TZ. The Pro version rewards do seem to acctract the most pledgers. The 50/100 dollar pledges have almost as many backers as the 10 dollar one, and certainly bring up more money than it. I'd like Operator Menu access as well, I just don't like it enough to pay 40 dollars for it :) (apart from not having 40 dollars extra to spare after the vacation hehe).

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
From memory I only really used the OM on ST:TNG to set free play and a more generous kickback (gotta do something to neutralise those evil outlanes).

I guess what I really want is an "arcade" mode, where the high-score and Special extra balls are credits instead. The way both of those currently award extra balls is skewing the game's difficulty. You could keep that as "home" mode if you want.

PAPA rules are cool for pro players on the real tables. I'm not sure how well that would translate to TPA, when you are that one step removed from the physics and viewing flexibility of the physical machine. I was at a tournament yesterday and the games were all setup with factory tournament software settings but at standard inclines with sensible outlane posts. That appeared to be a good compromise. Even the best players were unable to completely dominate any one game.

It should also be said that on a real game it is a lot harder to consistently make shots. There's a lot more hapless bouncing around off rubber going on. :)

Jazza

Aug 19, 2012
Tournament mode would be awesome. Regional, national and international playoffs via location integration? Sounds like fun!

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
Wow, I played BH yesterday and earned around 6 extra balls. I got bored after nearly an hour and a tournament mode (or papa rules) would have tightened up the gameplay a lot.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Wow, I played BH yesterday and earned around 6 extra balls. I got bored after nearly an hour and a tournament mode (or papa rules) would have tightened up the gameplay a lot.

If I'm not mistaken, you can get unlimited extra balls (but only 1 per bal) on BH and Gorgar.

Especially those 2 tables need tighter, quicker games indeed.

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
@bavelb
Unlimited? This is even worse, I thought Gorgar and BH have limited extra balls like the other tables.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
@bavelb
Unlimited? This is even worse, I thought Gorgar and BH have limited extra balls like the other tables.

I havent tested it specifically, but one of the techniques I used to get my previous hiscore on the ps3, was to keep the extra ball light or the special on the left upper loop lit, and make sure that was the first thing to shoot after a drain. That was before the updates and you could get more than 1 extra ball per ball in play (and you could make the ballcounter actually go backwards, into the minus) and I got a ton of extra balls that way. Now this is a bit harder to pul off (as you can only get 1 extra ball per ball in play, so balls dont stack up anymore) and I havent tested it, but I can't find anything in the manuals about there being a limit.

All the newer tables do have limits to their extra balls indeed (and often even state so in their instructions for TPA). Although there is some discussion around RBioN and if there are unlimited specials on that table.

Last edited:

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
More options is better for everyone, in both directions. They should have "kid mode" or something like that where you can set as many balls as you want (at least up until the ROM limit) and even add blockers to the outlanes, and they should have "pro mode" with these hardcore tournament settings. Leave the baseline settings alone for leaderboards (or perhaps have separate pro mode leaderboards), but there's no reason why anyone should feel limited by their lack of ability or bored by their excess of it, as long as they're willing to forgo leaderboard posting.

Access to operator menus on applicable tables is a must, in the long term at least. The guy doing the emulation for Farsight did PinMAME, so we know this is possible.

WilliamPorygon

Apr 21, 2012
I'd also love tournament mode settings to be available. With extra balls and other normal settings, games on some tables can last an absurdly long time for skilled players like myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.