First Impressions

MOO

Dec 11, 2013
Having never played this table (or even seen it) in real life, I was a little surprised to see it top the poll for most-wanted Bally table, but was even more pleasantly surprised by the way it actually plays...

The rules aren't over-complicated: get mutli-ball via rollovers (this in itself is a breath of fresh air), hit the ramps during multi-ball to advance SINK SHIP, then load the cannon for the mega-payoff shot. There's more to the game, of course, but that's probably what you'll be trying to do most of the time.

But what I like most about this table, is the lack of death shots. I'm a very mediocre player, but the ball seems to stay alive for a very long time for me, even when my shots miss their target. If my shooting improves, I suspect I might become unstoppable on this table...

A big "thumbs up" from me. Yarrrrrr!

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I totally agree. Not the deepest of pins but it sure is a hell of a lot of fun to play. Great use of theme as far as shots, sound, toys, and table art are concerned. Really good design. A little heavy on video modes, but at least they are pretty quick.
I think it suffered from coming out around the same time as Addams Family.

Last edited:

MOO

Dec 11, 2013
Sorry if I jumped the gun by starting this topic, but I wanted to give some feedback about the table.
The video modes are very quick, and are WAY better than those on, say, CBW. I can't wait to get to Walk The Plank stage 3, because the prospect of tilting during video mode appeals to my warped sense of humour...

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
Glad to participate in the hype!

Hey, MOO. Are you the same dude on the gamecenter leader boards? If so, you're a monster. Amazing work!

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
My advice.

1) go for 3 bank ricochets. they open the locker, and you never seem to drain after them. :) Ifyou can loop the side ramp, do that as well to open the locker.
2) if they are flashing go for 3 bank ricochets from the cannon shots too. :)
3) Double broadside is really valuable if you have dialed in the broadside shot. it's nearly impossible to hit this on the fly, unlike real life. you NEED a trap.
4) multiball is really good for lighting sink ship letters. don't even worry about hidden treasure, the 100 million (or more!) you will get from sinking 3 ships because you racked up lotsa letters in multiball afterwards will be much more then your hidden treasure. you want those sink ship letters. and always start 3 ball, as it gives you a second chance at getting more letters from the side ramp.
5) always full plunge for multiball. you will get a letter, and can loop the ramp for more letters for a little while before it kicks out the balls. also always full plunge when the locker is open (duh).

Personally i think this game needs to be set on hard. on hardest rules, only one ramp is lit at a time for letters in multiball, and it changes after each shot. the game currently seems to be set on easy, which makes all three ramps always give letters in multiball.

Eegah

May 12, 2013
I'm liking this a lot more than Fish Tales which never really clicked with me.

I've been having trouble with the left ramp's orbit -- when it comes out the right side it will often be out of reach of the side flipper, and when it's out that far it's a guaranteed STDM for me. Need to learn to nudge when it's doing that. Speaking of nudging, this table would take a broadside from a real cannonball before yielding a tilt warning. I've only triggered one deliberately and it took a good 4 or 5 full nudges.

Pacific Pinball Museum has a Black Rose and I gave it a shot last time I was there while waiting for TZ to open up. I don't think any of my balls lasted much longer than the ball saver. Now that I know how the table works I'm looking forward to giving it another try next time I'm there. Good times.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Just played the PC version, could be my most favorite new table , can't wait for PS3 version hope I have the finances for it by that time.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Much different flow than FT, depends on what kind of mood your in I guess. At least we have have both to choose from. Love the early 90s music on this one.

Chellspecker

Apr 20, 2013
Playing the iPad version. I have more trouble getting control of the ball in this one than Fish Tales, and the shots are trickier and more unpredictable. I always seem to reach a plateau with tables. I think I'm really hot **** for a few plays and then I can't get past a certain number of points. I need to improve my overall pinball skills, I think. I get the ball whizzing around way to fast to gain any control. This game is fun, but more frantic than Fish Tales. I like both of them a lot. Thanks everyone for the strategy tips.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Much different flow than FT, depends on what kind of mood your in I guess. At least we have have both to choose from. Love the early 90s music on this one.
This is true. Despite being both DMD games, they're considerably different from each other, which is a plus for those who like diversity in their tables (without putting in obligatory crappy tables for the sake thereof).

LeBaron

Jun 8, 2013
Great fun table, but I find the outlanes pretty unforgiving on this one. I haven't had such wildly different scores on a table since pin bot. In this case though, I at least think I have the ball under control when it irritates me by suddenly changing its mind and plunging down an outlane, unlike pin bot which goes down the left outlane straight off the plunger.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.