Strategies

thejake01

Mar 17, 2012
1. Get the extra ball right away every ball, while you're at it manipulate the lock letters to light lock and maybe collect a multiplier by the time you get the extra ball. Was doing well at a complete stop with this one for a while but eventually started to do it on the move from the cradle with more success.

Hold the left flipper up after you make the right ramp and it will come to a stop but looks a little scary sometimes so just give it a little nudge to the right to keep sanity.

2. Shoot for the broadside awards when they're available (easy shots) or just skip them altogether. Doing all of them will get you a jackpot which is a pittance compared to sinking ships. One award will get you instant multiball. I haven't really been bothering with them recently. If you have all the locks left there's a good chance you'll hit Instant Multiball off the broadside first but the lock shot is guaranteed to get you multiball in 5 shots or less.

3. Light lock letters on the left saucer or the right ramp, whichever you find easier.

I go for the lock shot on the left. At first I would do this from a dead stop on the right flipper but it started to get harder as I overthinked it more and more, eventually doing it on the move slightly from the cradle.

4. Start multiball, don't go for 3 ball!

Trap both balls right away easily by going for the skill shot on the plunge. Hit the lock shot and leave that ball there. Pass the one on the left flipper to the right flipper, hit the left ramp and Davey Jones loop to get shipwreck letters. Once the timer starts counting down for the locked ball get a cradle on the right flipper. Trap the ball as it comes out of the lock, hold up the left flipper, nudge a little to the right after the first time it hits the flipper to make sure you get a good trap. Hit the lock, repeat. You get tons of Sink Ship letters this way. Completing sometimes 2-3x on one multiball.

If you happen to get into the 3ball accidentally, trap two balls (one on each flipper), let the third drain (unless you can get lucky and trap two on the left flipper). Then hit the ramp and Davey Jones loop for Sink Ship letters.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

*Canon for Broadside, I read some advice for the real game to always shoot the canon when its going right to left but I find you get alot more lucky bounces when its going left to right, maybe its just me but it seems that I get more bounces into broadside or a bounce that gets the ball on the upper-right flipper going slow enough for me to hit Davey's Jones locker again right away for another try.

*The Broadside round itself is worth alot of points, which is the first canon award.

*I think Extra Ball is the 7th or 8th canon award. This can be very helpful as a get out of jail free card for the extra ball you earn at the start of the ball. This is because you'll have the canon award extra ball while you're trying to earn the ramp one until you mess up, essentially giving you an additional try to blow getting extra ball from the right ramp at the start of your ball.

*Ramp millions isn't worth enough points when its so easy to spell Sink Ship and get the 20+m value. If you can line it up with multiball you're going to go for ramps anyway so its an added bonus. Another one to line it up with would be when you're trying to get your extra ball on the right ramp at the start of the ball because you're going to be going for it anyway.

*Video Mode gives random awards:
Walk the Plank - Use two fingers from your dominant hand on the A button, mash away. Beat all three levels. Hold your pointer finger and middle finger together over the button with the button resting in between them. Don't look at the screen, concentrate on continuing to repeatedly mash the button. You can tense up your hand and wiggle your wrist to get a vibration kind of which helps you hit it very fast. Back in the day we called this "built in turbo". I'm doing this on a controller btw.
Knife Throw - as soon as you see the guy start moving his hand forward you pretty much have to press the button. Very small window
Rope to the Ship - Press the button when the guy is pretty much perfectly horizontal with his feet in towards his chest a bit.

*Polly
Mash the flippers when you get polly up on the screen to give a random award for an extra 2m

*Per Zaphod77 - Get skill shot, drain, hit the locker - Great tip!
"Even if the locker is open, go for the skillshot if it's lit, then skillfully drain. you can then plunge the ball into the locker. this makes progress on the normal cannon loading sequence, and still gets the ball into the locker. And if it wasn't open already, you just cashed in your cannon shot you just got with zero risk."

High score now 10.9b, got shipwreck canon up to 430m.

Links with more stuff:
More Complete Rules: http://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/313/blackrose-rulesheet-new.htm
Incomplete Rules - http://pinball.org/rules/blackrose.html
http://www.wakefieldpinball.com/pinball-tips.php#loc2
http://www.theguyoverthere.zoomshare.com/6.html

Last edited:

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Found this strategy guide on the internet:

"What do we start shooting at? Well, first off, always go for the skill shot, unless the locker is already open of course. Once the ball makes its way to the flippers, the first thing I usually try and do is shoot the whirlpool. Shoot it 5 times for the extra ball, and at the same time it will light the lock. If the locker is open (either from a skill shot, or just from hitting the random targets), give it a shot in there. During the first level, shoot for the yellow targets so that the ball will fire out and hit them, hopefully bouncing and hitting the green and red targets. Each target you hit is a SINK SHIP letter. After this, Double Broadside is running. Shoot the broadside as much as you can before time runs out. There is a nice grace period of about 3-5 seconds, so keep trying even after it's ran out of time.

If the locker isn't open, then you shoot for the multiball. When you start multiball, wait a good 5 seconds or so before plunging the ball all the way. It'll go up the locker ramp, count as a ramp shot, and give you another chance at it. I usually then try and lock a ball. Once one ball is locked, I use the other one to keep shooting the whilrpool and left ramp to get many letters. Usually by now, all the jewels are lit except for the broadside. Shoot the broadside to get the last jewel, starting Hidden Treasure. When the ball comes back to your rigth flipper from the broadside, lock it in Pirate's cove to start 3 ball multiball. Now you have 3 ball multiball with hidden treasure mode!

When you're not in multiball, your main goal is to sink ships when they are lit, or shoot the whirlpool to start getting LOCK letters to light multiball again. If you're sitting with an extra ball and you have plenty of SINK SHIP letters, you can go ahead and shoot for the broadside. It sometimes gives you valuable modes.

If you get Ramp Millions+, try and start a multiball immediately. During multiball with Ramp Millions+, the whirlpool will go up 2 million each time for some reason, making it worth A LOT of points.

After collecting a broadside award, always try and relight it by shooting it back in the broadside. You get a nice 2 mil, and a cool animation and sound, and now the broadside is lit again.

Once you start getting deep into the game and SINK SHIP letters are hard to come by (usually after the 4th ship or so, since the letters reset to SIN, then SI, then S, then finally none.), you should try getting it in the cannon for the cannon awards. Shoot the easy targets like the green and the red. The yellow targets are much better gotten from the upper flipper. Looping the locker is another way of opening it, and is a really fun shot to shoot. The cannon awards can become pretty valuable, as the 7th level is Extra Ball.

So that's basically it... always try for an extra ball early on, unless a more pressing opportunity is present (like SINK SHIP lit)."

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Couple quick things: Post transfers from left to right are pretty consistent, right to left much less so. A loop pass will help you out here.

Double broadside is pretty point heavy on its own as well. I've hit 63M off it and 100M isn't out of the question if you can make the cannon shot on the fly.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Even if the locker is open, go for the skillshot if it's lit, then skillfully drain. you can then plunge the ball into the locker. this makes progress on the normal cannon loading sequence, and still gets the ball into the locker. And if it wasn't open already, you just cashed in your cannon shot you just got with zero risk.

Axlsgolden

Dec 2, 2013
Hitting 5 times the whirlpool is not that easy for me, because the ramp is very small and you have only 20 sec. to hit it again. Extraballs are rare to me. Sometimes Polly is polite and give me one ;-) When I hit the special after sinking 2 ships there was no EB. I don`t know why.

"Walk the plank"....I couldn`t get it. The shark is catching me everytime. Thx for your fine strategies.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
to escape the shark mash both flippers and the fire button... at least if you don't want to destroy your keyboard. i'm not sure it's even possible on mobile platforms.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
to escape the shark mash both flippers and the fire button... at least if you don't want to destroy your keyboard. i'm not sure it's even possible on mobile platforms.

managed it first time on the pre release version. But not been able to do it since release on steam :)

oqvist

Nov 23, 2013
Seem impossible with only the fire button I get oh so close though lol.

Incredible hard to earn extra balls through whirlpool award. I just can´t hit that ramp lol. I got quite close once when things just clicked and I sank ship after ship after ship. To bad the game is bugged so my 6 ships sunk was overriden by 2 sunk ships despite getting through to enter my initials and all...

thejake01

Mar 17, 2012
Seem impossible with only the fire button I get oh so close though lol.

Incredible hard to earn extra balls through whirlpool award. I just can´t hit that ramp lol. I got quite close once when things just clicked and I sank ship after ship after ship. To bad the game is bugged so my 6 ships sunk was overriden by 2 sunk ships despite getting through to enter my initials and all...

The shot is just after the half way point as it rolls down the flipper :)

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
I don't find acquiring the whirlpool extra ball too hard, I can get it two out of three times. More or less.

That Double Broadside Wizard Goal on the other hand... Sheesh, that one is tough. Best I ever got was 16 million.

Eegah

May 12, 2013
See, and I have the broadside shot dialed in to the point where the 32M shot is a major source of points for me. Just one of those weird things I guess, like how on AFM I find the ball lock ram much harder to make than the Big-O-Beam that gives others problems.

Axlsgolden

Dec 2, 2013

I hammered RB/LB/RB/LB...on my X-Box Controller whilst putting the controller on the table. It worked for me, but the controllers health is compromised.

Last edited:

thejake01

Mar 17, 2012
I hammered RB/LB/RB/LB...on my X-Box Controller whilst putting the controller on the table. It worked for me, but the controllers health is compromised.

After failing a couple times on the level 3 round with just the one button I did try with the right flipper and the A button but didn't make it that way either. Made it a couple tries later with the A button only using the tips in the main post (I've been editing it).

If you can get the motion with your fingers to hit the button repeatedly and DO NOT LOOK at the screen its definitely do-able.

oqvist

Nov 23, 2013
See, and I have the broadside shot dialed in to the point where the 32M shot is a major source of points for me. Just one of those weird things I guess, like how on AFM I find the ball lock ram much harder to make than the Big-O-Beam that gives others problems.

Same for me. Though I did finally get to the extra ball yesterday. But that centertarget is so easy to get from the right flipper from stand still. And voila it´s there the ball lands after return fire :)

N

netizen

During the initial Beta round the broadside shot was like that for me as well, then something was altered in the tuning and now I can't seem to hit it for ****.

Also for trapping the Pirates Cove release on the l Flipper it's different depending on which platform you're on. On PC you can just trap the release and the ball will stay, but on 'droid, not sure about iOS, the ball will bounce up and over the sling, and straight down the outlane without a timely nudge. This can be more than disastrous during multiball. Sometime a dead bounce to the R Flipper is the better option.

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Eh it bounces over the the sling for me on both PC and iOS, regularly enough that I don't try it. Dead pass to the right works though and you can generally loop pass via the left ramp if you need to get the ball to the left flipper.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
somebody help me with getting the cannon to fire right up the middle to Broadside to sink ships please? i just can't do it anymore. right to left seems more natural to me, but i'll try anything tbh. anyone got a tip for me?

i'm not very good at all on this table, have only managed 120M. strategy threads like this help me a bundle though, so please keep em coming

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
somebody help me with getting the cannon to fire right up the middle to Broadside to sink ships please? i just can't do it anymore. right to left seems more natural to me, but i'll try anything tbh. anyone got a tip for me?

I normally fire just a bugs nadger to the left of the 12 o clock position (normally when travelling right to left - anti-clockwise) so in clock terms, when the cannon is at around 2mins to 12.

Works for me anyway - got my 5 ships sunk goal last week, but have gone back to other tables since. Monster Bash today.

My highest scoring games were done, by getting 3 ball ricochets to open the locker. Loading the cannon and aiming again for 3 ball ricochets to get as many sink ship letters as possible, or video when the drops weren't lit.
Also activating multiball and shooting the ramps to bank as many letters as possible. Earned letters carry over onto other unsunk ships.
More ships you sink the higher the score was my thinking.

Edit - forgot to mention, you have to play with the eyeball skin activated - just feels more piratey!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.