Strategies

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Nice write-up Thejake01, I was amazed at first to find no real complete rulesheet for this game. The one you linked to is incomplete by admission of the author himself. I know PAPA.org are looking into completing and expanding existing rulesheets but they link to the same rulesheet for Black Rose for now. But then I stumbled upon this one: http://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/313/blackrose-rulesheet-new.htm that seems a bit more complete and is considered an update to the one written in 1994. The author for example confirms to have seen the sink-ship reward up until 100M and says it could be higher still (so maybe no limit on this progression).

Some sidenotes: walking the plank on iOS is do-able but hard, I get it 1 in 3 times I think. Cradling the Whirlpool ramp return is possible if nerve-wracking. With steel nerves you can save balls that trickle over with a quick flick of the right flipper, that will essentially feed the inlane of the left flipper and makes the ball cradle-ble again (is that proper English?). Same trick applies for Cannon Rail returns that roll farther back into the right inlane and trickle over the right flipper.

Last edited:

thejake01

Mar 17, 2012
Thanks! Wife was out of town and I didn't really have much going on so I got to really get goin on it. We got a Taxi last week that needs to be cleaned up a bit (but otherwise works which is a helluva lot better than the SFII pin we got a while back) so I doubt I'll be able to keep it up ;)

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Works for me anyway - got my 5 ships sunk goal last week, but have gone back to other tables since. Monster Bash today.

respecto - I really suck at this table. Find the out lanes total drain monsters. Can't get a decent duration on this table at all. Can't hit the cannon shot either - which means max 2 ships sunk so far :(

Feb 19, 2014
First post! Hi.

I'm in the top 20 on this table, offer my quick insights.

First off, yes, extra ball is a good idea. You can often get ebs off the random award, or cannon shot awards and video modes, but getting the EB off whirlwind right ramp also lights the lock.

Next do Multiball.

Now basically, there's two ways to get your letters. You can stay in two ball, cradle in the left flipper, and just go for upper right flipper loops over and over. Or, you can go for there ball.

Personally, I do a bit of both. Once I lock a ball for 3 ball, I use the timer to knock off a few left ramp, right loop combos, before I lock the second. Reason I do this is because there's always that chance that once in 3 ball, you insta drain two balls losing the whole thing. This happens quite a bit to me. I've learned it's best to just cradle up one. Ball on the left, let one drain, and shoot the right.

Rack up as many ship letters as possible. Sometimes, if say I only got 3 full ships, I'll try going right back into MB, to get more. Why not? Your ships aren't going anywhere, so may as well get as many as you can before you go cashing them in. It's more satisfying and lucrative, and especially smart if you haven't picked up your extra ball yet.

Extra ball seems to, if I'm not mistaken, regenerate every ball. Which is pretty unique. And while you'd think this would lead to astronomical scoring, truth is, hitting 5 consequtive right ramps can be tricky. That shot is a lot harder than it first appears.

Other scoring opportunities include: Double Broadside. Don't ignore this mode! If you're good at making cknsecutive shots to the broadside, you can get 100 million out of this mode easy.

I have never once lit a jackpot during multiball, I'm not even sure you can. I've only ever gotten jackpots on cannon and random awards. The points are in cannon shots there's just no two ways about it.

Killing Polly gives you 2 million points but I don't so it 1 because I fear (maybe wrongly) that that stops the Polly awards which can sometimes award extra ball, and two because I'm compassionate and love animals. Poor Polly lol.

Bonus multiplier can be big in this game, and for some reason that right loop is so satisfying to hit that right ramp. Some times I just go for that for a change of pace. I've had it up to about 7X iirc and a good 70million bonus.

Overall I really, really like this table. It's unlike anything in the arcade IMO and I'm just very happy with the depth and strategy, and the sound package is just fantastic. The art and colors are really well done though I feel black Rose herself on the backglass should be, well, better looking lol. That's my only criticism of this board and it's super nitpicky. This is a 9 out of 10 easily in my top 10 pinball arcade machines so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.