Picking up Pin #2 tomorrow!! Williams Blackout - 1980

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
So I was warned. Pinball machines are like rabbits - they like to multiply rapidly!! :D And indeed they do!

After completing my Police Force resto, I stumbled across a listing for this 1980 System 6 machine.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=317

Apparently, this one was built between Gorgar and Firepower, and held back for several months before it's release, due to the runaway success of FP. Even though it was released months later, the ROM version and design clearly indicate this machine was designed and built right after Gorgar. I suspect Williams had a ROM breakthrough that resulted in FP's multiball, and pushed that to the front of the pack. This was actually the first SS to feature lane-change, which is pretty cool IMO! FP always gets that praise but this one was designed first!!

Primary feature of the table is a computer relay-controlled GI system, that creates the "Blackout" effect when all the targets are completed and the orbit shot hit - it kills all the GI lights and flashes the inserts - creating a really cool "disco pinball" effect. The soundset and artwork remind me of FP (same artist) and Stern's F2K. Classic early 80's defender and other early 8 bit video game sounds. Just my style! :)

Talking to the current owner, he got it from a guy who stored it with the dang batteries inside for years. You can guess what happened... he took it to get shopped and had all the damaged backboard PCB's and control boards replaced. It is fully functional, minus one pop bumper that needs a new transistor soldered on. Easy-peasy! The case and playfield seem to be in great shape for a 34 yr old pin.

I'm thinking about doing a partial LED conversion on this table, because I think it would look AMAZING with the GI blackout feature. I have kept my other machine au natural, except for some speaker upgrades. This one I think I'm going to play with! I'm getting it for $450, so I've got some room to buy LED's and do some cool mods.

Anyways, I'll update this post with some pics tomorrow afternoon after I get it to the house and set up. Any of you guys ever play Blackout? If you did, you are my age or older, lol!!

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Sounds like a cool buy, especially at that price.

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking I can't go wrong at that price!! Even with full LED conversion and new rubbers, I'm still under $600 for a fully restored table with new boards and ROM chips.

Looks like there is no pre-made kit for it, so I'm going to have to count bulbs and colors once I get it here, and create my own mix-n-match set.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Check out YouTube. Lots of Blackout vids on there. Some with traditional lighting and some with pretty wild LEDs. Maybe give you some ideas.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
I think I'm gonna throw up...

So this deal was arranged Sunday, I had a friend take a day off work mid-week, and we were using his truck to go get the table today.

Spoke to the owner around 7:00 last night, confirmed for the 3rd time that we're leaving my house today at 10:00 am and should be there around noon to get the machine. We actually had a laugh over the fact that my wife and I were re-arranging the living room furniture (again!) to accommodate the second machine, and I re-iterated how excited I was to come see it today and bring her home.

At 11:30 last night, this douche sends me a txt msg "Sorry someone came and got the machine tonight".

:mad: :mad: :mad:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! We just confirmed that I was coming with a wad of cash first thing in the morning. I have pulled strings and favors to get a friend and truck in the middle of the work week so that I DIDN'T get snaked on this machine.

UNBELIEVABLE. I've been CList-shafted before, but not like this... after multiple conversations on the phone, and 2 days of txt messages confirming that YES I was coming to get it, and here's my schedule, he freaking sells me out 12 hours before I can physically get there with the truck. What a total POS.

I am sooooo ill right now.

Mods, feel free to delete this thread, since it's utterly WORTHLESS. :(

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
So sorry to hear that MG. I know how excited you were to get Blackout. Unfortunately I've heard the story before from others. Far too common behavior in the pin business. Someone probably called about it and offered a few bucks more.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
someone probably offerd $500, that suuuucks! Think of it as a sign, maybe your other machine got jealous about the LED talk :p CHIN UP it'll happen.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
I know it won't help a bit, but: after 16 months in pinball collecting (9 of these), that happend to me twice. And what's really good about that, the machines weren't worth it. One was ok, but stood 2 weeks in a flood - no one told me, nobody told the seller too - the other had a severe damage to the boards - unrepairable, the boards needed to be replaced. I know that, because some 'friends' got them 4 hours before I had the chance to be there and paid more than it was on the list.

As I said before, pinballs will duplicate themselves no matter what you do for or against it :) there will be a few (hopefully) or a lot (for sure) coming to your door in the future.

Cheers!

Ps. Yeah, and slap this guy hard ;)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I guess we can leave this thread as a reminder to fellow pinheads: if you call a guy about a pin and they tell you someone is coming soon to buy it, don't try outbidding! Remember the golden rule, folks.

shimoda

Mar 14, 2013
Blackout is a great machine, sorry this happened to you. You'll find another, don't worry, they will still multiply!

TripleT

Sep 23, 2012
Maybe you dodged a bullet. If the guy pulled that crap on you, maybe he also wasn't truthful about the state of the machine.

I bet the other guy gets home and has to sink way too much money into it.

So there! Congratulations!

Now go find a real FP instead of a wannabe. ;)

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Well I'm looking at it this way...

It wasn't meant to be. I am a master of the Craigslist score, but you know what? You can't win em all. Sooner or later, I'll come across another deal and make it happen. My CL karma is in great shape, because I DON'T dick people around like that. I know something will pop up, and I'll be there to scoop it up.

I mean heck, in the meantime I'll just go play the #$^* out of Police Force and TPA, right? :)

Life ain't so bad.

#firstworldproblems

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Maybe you dodged a bullet. If the guy pulled that crap on you, maybe he also wasn't truthful about the state of the machine.
Pretty much this. Chances are, you'll find some other gem that you'd never have been looking for if this didn't fall through :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.