Bug - Scores over 10B don't double

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
It's arguable whether this counts as a ROM bug, TPA bug, missing feature, or by design.

If your score is over 10 billion, only the portion of it under 10 billion can be doubled by Skins!. I had racked up 12 billion total, and doubled it, only to find at the end of the game that TPA recognized a total score of only 18B.

This is expected behavior by the ROM, since it doesn't keep track of a ten-billions digit, so whether or not a nonexistent digit gets doubled doesn't matter. TPA keeps track of higher digits, but isn't smart enough to double the overflow digit on winning Skins!.

I assumed that the 91B #1 score on the leaderboard got there by repeated doublings, but now I'm not so sure given that each "doubling" could only add 9.9B. I also discovered that the Lightning Round/Anything Goes bonus maxes at 6,375,000,000 (this number is 25M x 255) so you can't score multiple tens of billions that way either. That #1 is either a hack or spent a LONG time (4+ hours) looping the gopher shot in Go-Fore Par-Tee multiball or got REALLY good at the extra ball hurryup for lots of runs of Pitch & Putt.

(Kind of funny how the wildly unbalanced scoring on this table actually ends up balanced way at the high end. Skins!, Lightning Round/Anything Goes, and Pitch & Putt each top out between 6-9 billion total, and none dominates the others.)

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Actually regular multiball can be worth insane points as well, if you whack the captive ball during multiball often enough. That was how people rolled the game fastest in real life. Trap one ball on each flipper. just keep whacking the captive ball. Once the jackpot is really high, start collecting them. :)

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Ah rats. You already knew it. I thought I just discovered this trick of getting the jackpot up high in multiball, as I found out it goes above 255M then got too excited and shot my wad early. Does anyone know what the ceiling is?

If the ceiling is over a billion then this is definitely the motherlode of points gathering.

Last edited:

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
Just scored 14+ billion on TO which would have given me a top ten score on this game. Not sure if it's just iOS but the score was recorded as 4+ billion. My iPad mini just about went thru the window after I realized what had happened. This table and CFTBL has done this. Wish I knew what tables had the rollover bug so I would just stay away from them.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Just scored 14+ billion on TO which would have given me a top ten score on this game. Not sure if it's just iOS but the score was recorded as 4+ billion. My iPad mini just about went thru the window after I realized what had happened. This table and CFTBL has done this. Wish I knew what tables had the rollover bug so I would just stay away from them.

Same point made in a different thread. What you experienced is a bug that is essentially common to every table in TPA, but in reality only manifests itself in a select few due to their imbalanced scoring mechanisms. NOT the same as the HOF rollover bug. (fwiw, my "best" score of 18B on CftBL is really 38B, so yeah, I know, this bug bites particularly hard on that table.)

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
Same point made in a different thread. What you experienced is a bug that is essentially common to every table in TPA, but in reality only manifests itself in a select few due to their imbalanced scoring mechanisms. NOT the same as the HOF rollover bug. (fwiw, my "best" score of 18B on CftBL is really 38B, so yeah, I know, this bug bites particularly hard on that table.)

Again thanks Eldar for your time and patience in answering this. I'm not the most computer literate guy out there. Just a humble crane operator. If you need something lifted let me know. Lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.