Farsight talks to the BBC

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Pretty cool publicity. Though I can't find a link to it from anywhere on the main site!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks for sharing. Not really anything we haven't heard before, but at least they're still saying the same thing! Of note, I like this idea of putting out original tables and seeing what clicks with the consumers and THEN making a physical table. I hadn't heard that particular sound byte yet.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
The other original tables tidbit I hadn't read before was that they did talk to previous pinball designers about creating tables and that they seemed interested. I can't recall them confirm that before, just they were looking in to creating original tables.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
The other original tables tidbit I hadn't read before was that they did talk to previous pinball designers about creating tables and that they seemed interested. I can't recall them confirm that before, just they were looking in to creating original tables.

I have heard them mention that before. They also stated they have gotten input in the past from designers when recreating tables. The only designer they mentioned by name was Steve Ritchie. I would love it if they could work with J-Pop, Brian Eddy and of course Pat Lawlor. Lawlor might be more difficult since he is with JJP and he and J-Pop have been affiliated with other digital pinball development. I have heard that J-Pop is a fan and he used to post on Farsight's facebook page.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Look at the opening paragraph:
The flashing lights, cool sound effects and high-speed bouncing ball action have made pinball simulators a hugely popular genre of video game, not to mention big business for the software houses that develop them.
Hint for the next table?!? Or possibly:
The flashing lights, cool sound effects and high-speed bouncing ball action have made pinball simulators a hugely popular genre of video game, not to mention big business for the software houses that develop them.
?!?

I have heard them mention that before. They also stated they have gotten input in the past from designers when recreating tables. The only designer they mentioned by name was Steve Ritchie. I would love it if they could work with J-Pop, Brian Eddy and of course Pat Lawlor. Lawlor might be more difficult since he is with JJP and he and J-Pop have been affiliated with other digital pinball development. I have heard that J-Pop is a fan and he used to post on Farsight's facebook page.
I know Steve loves his PC games, but I don't know if he'd be up for creating anything virtual. There's no thrill in playing a virtual machine, at least, nowhere near as much. I'd also wonder whether he's an employee of Stern still or if he'd do it under his Steve Ritchie Productions banner.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
What excites me about this article is hearing that Gary Stern is considering simultaneous digital releases of new Stern Pinball tables:

Gary Stern said:
Designing a pinball machine is a major task, so it could be that in the future we do a video game simulation of a new machine at the same time.

This is something I've had hopes of for a while now. Heck I think they could even release these as standalone downloadable games for $15 or so each and still do pretty well.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
This is something I've had hopes of for a while now. Heck I think they could even release these as standalone downloadable games for $15 or so each and still do pretty well.

The only problem with that is Stern doesn't exactly put out tables with finished Roms. So essentially the virtual release would be a beta until sometime after the physical release. Now, once the software is finalized, then I could see charging that much.

N

netizen

I'm still leaning toward Gary using simultaneous releases as a way to pimp out and push sales for "The PIN", but only time will tell for sure.

Eegah

May 12, 2013
What excites me about this article is hearing that Gary Stern is considering simultaneous digital releases of new Stern Pinball tables:

Pair it with a pinfinder-like deal to find a nearby physical table and you're good to go.

Also pump Steve Richie full of coke and let him design a TPA table already.

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Actually better yet pump Python full of blow and let him do a Future Spa sequel for After Dark.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
The only problem with that is Stern doesn't exactly put out tables with finished Roms. So essentially the virtual release would be a beta until sometime after the physical release. Now, once the software is finalized, then I could see charging that much.

Well, to run with this a bit, and admittedly thinking positively, there are a few possibilities here: a) once Stern sees the profit potential in this, they actually bother to get their software done earlier; b) working closely with the virtual table dev team, they now have access to something like three times as many programmers as they usually have working on a game...

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
It's far easier to patch a video game than patch a pinball machine anyway. Users don't need to do anything to get their game updated, updating a pinball machine requires operator intervention. Could be a good way to get the softwate stable before adding it to a real machine.

Though I don't see this happening, to be honest. Not for a long time, anyway.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Gary Stern seems fond of Farsight and the potential there but if he ends up hanging up his hat for good, there may be a different perspective. George Gomez is a top person there and he does not seem to hold a favorable outlook on any digital pinball.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I'm pretty sure the physical releases are betas as well. Have you played the Metallica code recently? The half-mil "random" bonus is a load of crap.

Pair it with a pinfinder-like deal to find a nearby physical table and you're good to go.

Also pump Steve Richie full of coke and let him design a TPA table already.
I reckon he's had enough... it looks like he's straight off the set of Wall Street in all the promo pics he's in! For example:
1cERYgZl.jpg

Whatever it was that he did in the 80s, I don't care. Hell, even today he's still designing amazing tables. Can't wait for his next one!

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I doubt you could design a pinball table with great rules and flow while high. That's just creativity.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.