Monte Carlo (Gottlieb Premier 1987)

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
Need advice, gang... I don't currently own an actual pinball table in real life, but I have always wanted to. Someone local has offered to sell me this table for $600 (I may be able to coerce them to go a little less, if I pay in cash). From pictures, it looks to be in great shape and I've watched a few youtube videos featuring this table and it really looks like a lot of fun to play. (And yes, it still has its complete "WINNER" topper).

Should I pull the trigger? Good price? Too much? Is it a pretty good table? How rare is it, etc?

How reliable are the mechanisms? What kind of maintenance am I looking at, generally?

I don't know yet what kind of restoration/repair it has undergone, just yet, as I've not yet had a chance to go and check it out in person. What kinds of things should I look for when I do? (Remember, this'll be my first table, potentially... so any advice is appreciated) :)

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
It still has the topper?!

Anyway, yes, I suggest you buy it. One of my friends is lucky to have bought this game for $500. Even though it often goes for cheap, it's certainly a players game and I suggest you buy it. And by "players", I mean it - I have not gotten to multiball even once while playing it.

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
Yep, the topper is 100% in tact and looks great in the picture I've seen.

Hoping I can get to go over and take a look in person sometime this week, weather permitting.

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
Barring bad weather, I'm going to go take a look at it tomorrow after work.

So, for a first-timer/noob to owning a pinball machine... let's say that once I get the machine that I would like to replace the original bulbs with LED. Is it as simple as just taking out the bulbs and replacing each one with an LED bulb? Or do I have to change/replace something on one of the boards in regards to programming and such?

Dumpstar

Apr 17, 2012
Just for those who want to see the pinball cause I can't help looking up anything thats mentioned that I am not familiar with...

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
Well, the table is now mine!

1959290_10153823457410594_467699367_n.jpg

The "WINNER!" topper still lights up and is 100% intact. The original translite is a bit faded, but the cabinet is near flawless. The only wearing I noticed on the playfield is between the pop bumpers. Other than that, it looks almost brand new. I counted only 4 lights that are burned out. Not sure if I'll replace the whole thing with LEDs or just get a handful of traditional bulbs. Also, one of the pop bumpers is missing a sticker on top. (Anyone know where I can get a replacement sticker?) The rubbers are all white and look brand new. The owner said he never replaced anything, so I'm thinking it may have been replaced by whomever he bought it from "several years ago". The playfield stuff really looks almost brand new. If this thing was ever at a bowling alley, bar, or restaurant before the owner bought it for home use, it has been taken very good care of along the way.

Quite a fun table! Was surprised to find out it has a 3-ball multiball. Not sure what setting the previous owner had it on, as I have yet to locate the manual, but for some reason, this thing is giving free games away very easily (sometimes multiple times per game) and I've yet to figure out why. I hope it's just a game setting and not an error with the programming. Anyone know what could be causing this? Also, the rules of the table state "5 Balls Per Play" but for some reason, play ends at 3 balls.

The sound is pretty awesome, although the volume is low. We've not figured out how to turn the volume up just yet because as I said, we can't locate the manual.

Keeping the table at my father's store for the time being, until I can free up adequate space. He's a pinball fan like me, so he doesn't mind. All in all... for $600... I think I did pretty well. Very pleased with my first table. :D

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I've never heard of it, but that's definitely one of the better looking Gottlieb/Premier games I've seen... even taking into account the backglass! Kind of reminds me of those old ads for watches back in the 80s:
VMpuOhAm.jpg

Either way, good score! Wish even the cheapest of tables in that sort of condition went for those kinds of prices. I'd have a garage full of them by now :(

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Congrats Wes. I remember playing that pin. I liked it, as I do most of the gambling themed pins. I used to know a place that had this and Riverboat Gambler right next to each other. How you liking the gameplay so far?

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
Got a question for people with more experience with Gottlieb tables than I have... the volume is still set on what the previous owner had it set on, and to me, it's a tad low. Where is the volume button/knob/switch? I've looked inside the coin return, but didn't really see anything that looked like a volume control. And not knowing what could/couldn't shock me, I wasn't eager to start grabbing and touching things under there. :)

Anyone know what I should be looking for?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Try posting it as a question on Pinside.com
Probably plenty of Monte Carlo owners on there that can answer your questions in a few seconds. Just explain you are a first time owner and they will go easy on you. Many nice, helpful folks on there.

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
Finally did a little upkeep on my game and it plays SO much better now! I cleaned and polished down the playfield with Novus 2 cleaner and opened the roulette wheel pit and put a brand new ball inside. Also cleaned all the ramps. I even replaced a few of the easier to access bulbs with some new LED's (warm white, to keep the original look). Lastly, I took out the old balls which were in pretty bad shape and replaced them with some Silverjets from Marco Specialties. The game plays SO much better now. It's incredible the difference a simple cleaning and new balls has made for the machine.

I'm not sure when they were last replaced by the previous owner, but all the rubbers seem clean and just fine to me. I don't think I will replace those just yet, although I have considered replacing the flippers with some that are more narrow. Or maybe some Superbands from Marco Specialties.

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
Three years later and I am considering doing a little more work to the machine. The Silverjets and playfield polish made SUCH a difference in play.

I ordered a new rubber kit. The current rubbers all look fairly clean and work just fine, but I have to think they have never been changed since '87, so it's probably past time to change them.

I really want to do more extensive work... taking out the scoring battery pack and replacing with a capacitor... flipper rebuild... etc. But I have ZERO experience with soldering. :(

The flippers as they are now, are fine, but the battery/capacitor thing really worries me. :/

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
soldering is something quite easy, at least shoud be on something from '87. As long as you can see every point with a naked eye you should be fine with just a bit practice before on something else. I've done a tons of 1st gen mod-chips in PS2 and xbox with 50+ wires that were sldered directly on chips so pinball machine shoud be doable to anybody. If you were not afraid to do everthyng else you can do the soldering also.

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
soldering is something quite easy, at least shoud be on something from '87. As long as you can see every point with a naked eye you should be fine with just a bit practice before on something else. I've done a tons of 1st gen mod-chips in PS2 and xbox with 50+ wires that were sldered directly on chips so pinball machine shoud be doable to anybody. If you were not afraid to do everthyng else you can do the soldering also.

Thanks for the reply and vote of confidence! Is there a recommended solder kit that most people use? And what type of metal solder (I believe there are different types?) is best used for pinball board connections?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts