Best way to hold a tablet for accelerometer nudging

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
This might be extraordinarily obvious to everyone else. Or it might just be me that likes holding it this way. But I thought I'd post it anyway, because it took me a surprisingly long time to figure out a good way of doing it.

The problem, in a nutshell, is I prefer to flip with my fingers during multiball - my thumbs just aren't fast enough. I also prefer accelerometer nudging, because it's non-binary (you can nudge gently), and it feels more 'immersive' - it's just genuinely more frantic and exciting to play like that for me.

If I just put my tablet on my lap, accelerometer nudging consists of slapping the side of the tablet. It's unreliable, inaccurate, and tends to move the tablet, causing you to miss shots immediately afterwards. Outside risk of dropping the tablet, or looking like a complete lunatic if you play in public.

Conversely, if I just hold my tablet by the sides, I have to hook my fingers back down to get at the flipper regions, which isn't ergonomic.

The solution for me is to dig the corners of the tablet into the heels of my palms, and use touch scheme B, which is very tall. I can use my palms to move the tablet, and have access to the flipper region with my fingers (for multiball) and my thumbs (for normal play).

:cool:

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
I keep my iPad in a Jensen docking speaker station. Each index finger is placed along the side, with the corners in the palm of my hands. I do use my thumbs for working the flippers, it's just seems easier for me. The station (JiPS-250i) holds the pad at an angle for viewing, turns 90 degrees and folds down so you can type in a normal fashion, rather than use thumbs or one finger. This was a great value too, $17.00 on eBay. The sound is great as well, much better than the pad's speaker. You might think it to be heavy, but with the adjustment function, I can play most anywhere, the sofa, dining room table, anyplace with an outlet. And my battery never runs low.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
I've only just noticed that on my tablet (2012 Nexus 7), if I actually 'tilt' it (as in sharply rotate it around the long axis, if you're in portrait mode) it registers as a smallish nudge.

Haven't decided whether that's useful yet...

Edit -

Well, having played with it for a bit I'm going to say very useful!

It seems to put me less out of control for flipping, and is somewhat faster to execute. A sharp 'jolt', lifting the side of the tablet corresponding to the side of the table you want to slap, seems like a better way to do small trajectory adjustments. It's hard (at least at the moment) to do harder nudges like that though - when I really want to whack the table for a 'hail Mary' ball save, I still think it's better to actually move the tablet.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts