First impressions

oqvist

Nov 23, 2013
Actually a fun table more fun then I expected. One thing I don´t understand though. There is supposed to be a magna save button but there is no way to map that on PC it seems as I have no such option? Hitting plunger don´t seem to engage the magna save. The lamp is lit at the start of the game or is supposed to at least?

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Magna Save is mapped to the "flipper 2" or whatever button for PC.

As for impressions, I've played it on both iOS and PC and while I think they've done a mostly great job, why does it feel so slow? It has none of the speed of Terminator 2 or Fish Tales, both stupidly fast games in real life.

Watch this video, play the game, then watch the video again. I'm not saying it has to be as fast, but at least be close to the frantic nature of what the game (and all Steve Ritchie games) are like.

I'll definitely still play it, but it doesn't feel anywhere near like the game should IMO. I'm finding it hard to time shots because the ball's always slower than it feels like it should be.

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
From the little I've seen and played so far I really like it. :) So so much better and more fun than the original!

I lost a ball though when the music went into full lyrics mode because it made me laugh so much. It sounds like a theme tune to an 80s cartoon show that was produced to sell a toy line. :D Love it, haha!

wolfson

May 24, 2013
just played on pc ,brilliant. what a beautiful flowing table !!!! the standard of season 3 is bloody great.you might have stuffed us on season passes but, keep up the great tables you bringing out !!!! I give you 10 out 10 for new tables. 0 out 10 for stopping season passes. :)

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Crank the music, put on reflecting sunglasses and brown leather jacket.

You Got the Power

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Got all the wizard goals already. Not an especially difficult task.

Probably not gonna keep playing it much longer. My finger is already sore from hitting that right flipper button over and over and over again.

A good game, but it's just not one of my personal favorites. And that's coming from a Steve Ritchie *and* System 11 fan.

Last edited:

tpafan

Nov 5, 2013
With regards to the PC release, I think this is a -beautiful- recreation of a pinball classic. The love and passion that has gone into polishing TPA really shines through.

Thanks guys :)

W1LDD ONE

Jul 21, 2013
I Love This Table!
I just got "RANSOM" and my best local score on my iPad. 3 is (8,179,700) {SMK}
I got 3 out of 5 Wizard Goals so far.
Great Job FarSight!
Thanks For This One:cool:

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Probably not gonna keep playing it much longer. My finger is already sore from hitting that right flipper button over and over and over again.

Kinda see what you mean here... the lower level is just too dangerous to do anything but kick it back to the upper level so I'm stuck just doing loops over and over with an occasional lucky ball lock.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I think it's a pretty good recreation.

Good points

1) you can sometime one time the ball back up to the upper playfield, but it's not somethign you can rely on.

2) you can backhand the lightning wheel form a trap.

3)the upper flipper feels right, at least when it's fed from the loop.
4) you CAN plunge the WIN lanes.
5) you can get to the WIN lanes by weak loop shots.
6) balls that fall down the lightning kickout VUK area sometimes get shot back up,and sometimes trickle down the field. this is accurate, though i think the trickle down is morecommon on most machines on location.

the bad

1) you should be able to one time the ball from the lightning wheel kickout right up the ramp. this is doable in real life, and i've yet to pull it off on tpa.
2) double knights challenge shot sometimes rejects balls.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Ultra Wizard goals for BK2K. :)

1) collect a 2,970,000 point bonus.
2) Start ransom while more than one ball is in play
3) collect a 1,500,000 hurry up.
4) collect the 5 loop combo extra ball.
5) spell black twice in one game.

Brock

Jan 28, 2014
Great fun, great table, great tune, great theme.. Shame about the camera bug ruining my first Ransom multiball. :/
Plays very nicely, relatively easy wizard goals, fast flow, fun loops.

Awesome retro goodness.
(is my first impression)

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
I have only tried the demo on steam and it's a pretty cool table. Not my fav but still pretty good. Again the demo doesn't really give you the best indication of how the table is. There should be a time limit of sorts or the score limit should be higher.

That said my PS3 is caput I think. I can't get it to start up. All indications of the YLOD and there is no easy fix. It may be awhile but I will have to save up for the PS4. I still hate the fact that I have to repurchase all the tables another time. Stupid that you can't play all of the Digital DL you already got on the PS3. It's the same network. Geez.

Wizened

Jun 10, 2012
Kinda see what you mean here... the lower level is just too dangerous to do anything but kick it back to the upper level so I'm stuck just doing loops over and over with an occasional lucky ball lock.

This! Scored 20m doing just that, wasn't higher because I got bored, then sloppy.
You really need to be in the mood to spend 30-45 minutes on this game.
Not saying FS didn't do a great job, just sayin'.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
Given they re-created one of my least favorites I was hoping for a lot since many mentioned this was way different than Black Knight original. I must say I am not too excited though, it is way better than the original, especially the super cheesy 80's music that is awesome. But, the game itself is not too exciting. It has a weird balance of being too easy at times combined with some really nasty drains...

Why is it not possible to shoot the drawbridge-ramp right away? It feels like the flipper is in the wrong angle or something, feels more like a lucky shot when it happens rather than good timing.

Ransom camera bug. Why am I even surprised?

It's not a bad table, really, but it just doesn't have anything great...well, except for awesome music! :)

Members online

Members online