That song...

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
...clearly needs its own thread.

I'm speechless, and at this stage, sorry to say, have nothing much of use to contribute.

---

Who wrote it though? Were they ever held accountable?

:p

The 1980s truly was somewhere different, wasn't it...

Last edited:

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Designer Steve Ritchie wrote it himself.

He also wrote the music for High Speed and F-14 Tomcat, which were also games he designed.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
It's beautiful. I love the choir singing, it's just so epic and conveys the machine's nature well.

Too bad that BK2K is SO rare around the area I live. Literally the only ones near me are at Pinball Wizard and a restaurant in Amherst. And even then, the one at PWA doesn't have the correct speech chips, so I have to go to Amherst JUST to hear the music in real life.

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Makes me feel like it's Saturday morning and I'm having a bowl of Cap'n Crunch watching whatever comes on after the Pac-Man cartoon.

I'm trying to figure out how to synthesize that sound on my iPad. There's a YM2151 emulation app but it's $35 and hasn't been updated in over a year so I don't really want to touch it, and the interface just looks ridiculous.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
Makes me feel like it's Saturday morning and I'm having a bowl of Cap'n Crunch watching whatever comes on after the Pac-Man cartoon.

I'm trying to figure out how to synthesize that sound on my iPad. There's a YM2151 emulation app but it's $35 and hasn't been updated in over a year so I don't really want to touch it, and the interface just looks ridiculous.

For countless aeons (well, 25 years anyway), the Black Knight 2000 theme has slumbered, trapped in the limbo of pinball history.

And you want to... let it out? Unleash it on an unsuspecting world?

Can you imagine?

Black Knight 2000 ring tones? Dub-step remixes?

There are some dark powers that humankind is simply not meant to meddle with.

Last edited:

Eegah

May 12, 2013
For countless aeons (well, 25 years anyway), the Black Knight 2000 theme has slumbered, trapped in the limbo of pinball history.

And you want to... let it out? Unleash it on an unsuspecting world?

Can you imagine?

Black Knight 2000 ring tones? Dub-step remixes?

There are some dark powers that humankind is simply not meant to meddle with.

I just want the instrument really. That same metallic FM Synthesis you hear in Taxi, Pinbot and the other System 11 games. Pretty sure it's used in a lot of Sega games too.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
You mean the guitar twang?

It is pretty awesome. In a 'standing on the edge of a cliff, playing a widdly solo, without your amp plugged into anything' kind of way.

But still, be careful. Dark powers...

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I love the theme to this table. the first time I heard the chorus kick in I was like WTF... and couldn't wait for it to start up again. The overall scheme is sweet and then the singing starts and makes me think of an old episode G. I. Joe or something

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
Yeah, exactly. Whenever the singing comes in I expect a He-Man figure to pop up somewhere on this table any minute. :D

So why wasn't there a Black Knight 2000 cartoon series with a toy line? ;)

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Yeah, exactly. Whenever the singing comes in I expect a He-Man figure to pop up somewhere on this table any minute. :D

So why wasn't there a Black Knight 2000 cartoon series with a toy line? ;)

I was totally thinking about creating a "faux" animated pilot for Black Knight 2K in the style of an old, mid 80s cartoon. It would be about a group of heroes who travel to the future and learn that the Black Knight, a creature from old folklore, is still alive and destroying civilizations. The focus would be the heroes' plots to storm the Black Knight's castle. Like a mixture of TMNT 1987 and GI Joe in concept.

At the same time, is it me or was Steve Ritchie also the king of MUSIC for his time?! I can think of 5 games that utilize the soundtrack to grand pleasure:

- F-14 Tomcat
- Black Knight 2000
- Rollergames
- The Getaway
- AC/DC

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.