castle shots impossible compared to real table

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I had the chance to play a real mm table a lot lately. It´s also one of my favorites in TPA.
I know there will always be a differenc betweem real table and TPA, but I find the castle shots a real pain in TPA.
On the real table a hit with the upper third of the flipper can put it straight to the castle, which I´m able to do on a regular basis. ramps are a bit difficult though.
On TPA I almost have to do a backhand shot to reach for the castle and it merely bounces into the gate. I never seem to get a straight shot. but I hit ramps very easy in TPA.

Is it just me or did somone else experience this? In my opinion the flippers are in a very different position or angle compared to the original. It clearly affects the whole gameplay experience.
what about the flippers being to wide? the related post has been inactive since 2012, but has it been fixed?

on the pc btw.

Last edited:

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
never played that one IRL, but I have no issues with hitting the castle on android. Ramps are much harder to hit than castle.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
TPA's flippers do this on every table. The base of the flipper isn't as strong as it should be, so running shots don't go straight up like they should. MM is the worst, but it's also noticeable on Pinbot, Funhouse shooting for the lock lane, Whitewater aiming for Disaster Drop, Space Shuttle's center ramp, Monster Bash's mosh pit. All these are harder or impossible to hit with a moving shot than they should be, but at least they're easy from a caught ball so do it that way instead.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
I don't think I can think of a single game where TPA is not at least twice as easy as the real thing.

There's bound to be a few exceptions with the odd shot here and there, but in real life the pinball experience is a hell of a lot harder to get a good score on the table as a complete game. All my TPA scores are higher on every single table than my real machine scores. No exceptions to this rule. Anyone agree?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
hm maybe its justt personal playstyle, but for me its like real table 6 castles max, TPA table 2 castles max. - which freaks me out :)

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I don't think I can think of a single game where TPA is not at least twice as easy as the real thing.

There's bound to be a few exceptions with the odd shot here and there, but in real life the pinball experience is a hell of a lot harder to get a good score on the table as a complete game. All my TPA scores are higher on every single table than my real machine scores. No exceptions to this rule. Anyone agree?

Cactus canyon is way harder on tpa than real life. Otherwise I would agree with you.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Try space Shuttle. The real table doesn't have this same bumpers to right outlane vacuum. :)

Dr.Dude is about as nasty as real life too. and I think ST:TNG is pretty hard as well.

But a LOT of the games are much easier on TPA compared to real life. Some of them very much so.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
hm maybe its justt personal playstyle, but for me its like real table 6 castles max, TPA table 2 castles max. - which freaks me out :)
wow if you are that good on the real thing, this should be cake. I think you just need to get used to the physics. From the left loop kickout, bounce pass to right flipper, trap for a sec, nail the castle. I find it easier if you make sure the ball comes to a complete stop when you trap it. For some reason, TPA physics are weird when it comes to certain shots on the fly.

Dr.Dude is about as nasty as real life too. ...
That's why I like this one so much. It's not perfect to the real thing, but one of the best and funnest tables imo. It does have the on the fly problem I'm talking about tho. Hitting the gift of gab shot from the left inlane roll is nearly impossible. IT makes the reflex shot 2 hard because you pretty much have to hit it like this, unless you can get a lucky bounce. On the real thing I can nail it regularly.

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Cactus canyon is way harder on tpa than real life. Otherwise I would agree with you.

Nah, TPA is still easier. I got to three High Noons in one game within a day of playing it on TPA. On the real machine, one High Noon is at the edge of my skill. Most of the difference is in catching the Bart and bumper returns which are easy on TPA but unpredictable on the real thing.

That said, yeah Cactus isn't nearly as teddybear on TPA as many other tables. That's thanks to the unpredictable rebounds off the drop targets, same idea as TOTAN's lamp which also makes that one of the harder TPA tables.

Dr.Dude is about as nasty as real life too. and I think ST:TNG is pretty hard as well.

STTNG is indeed pretty darn close in difficulty on TPA... except for the monstrous glaring loophole of automatically catching the right orbit return to shoot it back up. Keep the ball on that railroad and you can easily rape tens of billions out of Borg Multiball.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
wow if you are that good on the real thing, this should be cake.

I´m not that good, but I played for 4 hours on the actual table and all I did was destroying castles. never saved a bloody damsel and maybe started one peasant revolt.
for me on TPA its just the other way round. had a lot of damsels, but rarely set foot in a castle.
just have to rethink and get used to how the flippers work in TPA.
I think what vikingerik mentioned before is true. the upper flipper part maybe is too weak or its some general physics thing.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
TPA ramps have vacuum cleaners built into them. Ball gets sucked all the way round. RT the ramps are a lot harder to get the ball all the way round everytime.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Haunted House's problem is the flippers are too strong. With no ramps, there's no need for that much power, which produces rebounds that are faster than they should be. Pinbot has the same problem which is why shots bounce out of the eyes all the time unlike the real table.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
That's why I like this one so much. It's not perfect to the real thing, but one of the best and funnest tables imo. It does have the on the fly problem I'm talking about tho. Hitting the gift of gab shot from the left inlane roll is nearly impossible. IT makes the reflex shot 2 hard because you pretty much have to hit it like this, unless you can get a lucky bounce. On the real thing I can nail it regularly.

After shooting 1, hold up the left flipper, and just after the ball touches it, nudge the table upwards hard. it will roll to a stop on the flipper. you may then take your shot at reflex 2. Works like a charm. :)

If it goes flying into the air your timing is off. With practice this is a 100% shot.

This trick works on many, but not all, tables.

The other method people use is to bank it in off the drop targets.

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Haunted house DOES have a ramp.

I know it's easy to forget, but it's there.

Yes, pinbot's flippers are too powerful. they angle the ball pretty close to correct, but balls shouldn't go screaming up the ramp. A shot that is clean should take at least a second to make it all the way around, and one that grazes the entrance should get rejected.

Btw the bounce out problem is even worse on Jack*Bot, which DOES really have flippers that are that strong, and it takes considerable mucking about with the playfield to fix it.

SO TPA's pinbot has Jack*Bot flippers on it.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
what about the flippers being to wide? the related post has been inactive since 2012, but has it been fixed?

on the pc btw.
FS admitted this was a mistake due to putting the wrong size flippers on the table, however, to fix it would require them to redo their entire physics matrix, which isn't in their best interest to do.

N

netizen

FS admitted this was a mistake due to putting the wrong size flippers on the table, however, to fix it would require them to redo their entire physics matrix, which isn't in their best interest to do.

I'd like to see the quote where that is said

superballs

Apr 12, 2012

The flippers were the right size but an art issue made it look like the gap between them was too wide. They fixed the art issue and the flippers are fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.