Dumpstar

Apr 17, 2012
I don't think the money is there to do something like that unless the consoles drastically increased there buy up rate of this game. Even then it would be doubtful for many a year until other developers had made it easier to do. Could be a good thing for a second release if this tech proved to be a market driver. I wouldn't be an early adopter that's for sure.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I think the point is that most of the work is already done by Sony, presumably there will be an API so it shouldn't be particularly hard or time consuming.

It sounds like its going to use Move tech and the camera for head tracking, half of the "support" is just adding 3D to the game which I would think we will get eventually seeing as it would be silly for PS3 to get it and not PS4.

Then again we don't even have the patch to fix the sound mistake yet, it feels like the game is in limbo already.

Feb 19, 2014
I think this is wonderful, VR is the future, this and Oculus Rift, can't wait to try them.

They added stereoscopic 3D to PS3 so this would be basically the same thing + some basic head tracking. Could be cool.

As OP says though, it's a year away at least.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Is it 1995 already?? : D

We've come a LONG way from Virtual Reality of the 90's. ;)

Now with the combination of low latency head tracking, true stereoscopic 3D (w/ unique & parallel images for each eye), and ultra high resolution Retina displays you can ignore the technology and enjoy your view.

The best news I've heard about the Sony VR tech is the price point. "Between $249 - $299". Many people were speculating that it would be around $1000 based on the pricing of their head mounted video display peripheral, but it seems they want this in as many hands as possible and are pushing hard again the Rift.

Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...rking-on-absolutely-fantastic-things-insider/

I think this is wonderful, VR is the future, this and Oculus Rift, can't wait to try them.

They added stereoscopic 3D to PS3 so this would be basically the same thing + some basic head tracking. Could be cool.

As OP says though, it's a year away at least.

As much as I like stereoscopic 3D, Active shutter tech really takes a toll on my eyes after a while.
You can feel eye fatigue as soon as it turns on. This should eliminate that problem since there is no shutter.

Apr 8, 2012
While I'm super excited for VR in any form, I just don't think the PS4 has the horsepower to adequately run it. Developers are having trouble running games with a single video output (instead of one for each eye) at 1080p 60 fps. The Oculus team has been quoted that 4K is what is really needed for a fully immersive experience. My money is on the Rift with a good PC at this point. Farsight really needs to jump on this and get VR support before, or at the same time as Zen (what an awful pinball game, sorry), to capitalize on next gen.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Most developers won't waste their time supporting this.

This headset will be to expensive for the average gamer, which will lead to low sales, which leads to developers not caring about VR...

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Most developers won't waste their time supporting this.

This headset will be to expensive for the average gamer, which will lead to low sales, which leads to developers not caring about VR...

An optimist I see! ;)

Well, I disagree.
Sony is really going to get behind this thing and will have developer libraries ready for devs to easily integrate Morpheus support into there games. The demos they showed off at GDC showed how it can be integrated into existing games as well.

Its really no harder to develop for VR than it wlis to add stereoscopic 3D support since they both share the same characteristics.

Not all developers will support it, but the ones that do will be ahead of the game since this is the next logical step in video game evolution.
Those who have experienced Oculus Rift and Morpheus have not failed to be overly impressed by it.

$249 is not too expensive for someone who can afford a $400 console.
When you consider it can also be used as a standard personal HD video display its a good value and might free up the living room HDTV for example.

Apr 8, 2012
An optimist I see! ;)

Its really no harder to develop for VR than it wlis to add stereoscopic 3D support since they both share the same characteristics.

Spoonman, while I agree with you 100% that Sony will really get behind this, and it's a major part of the future of gaming, developing for VR is much more involved than adding stereoscopic 3D support.

Think of your typical first person shooter. Do you think a number in the upper left representing health, a number in the upper right representing ammo, a scroll wheel that appears in the middle of the screen, etc.. would look at all "natural" in VR? How about your basic menu screen right there floating in front of your face? There are a ton of things to take into consideration. See some of the Oculus talks from various conferences on YouTube about it. They go into much much more detail (way better than I can explain). Most games will either have to go through a major revamping for VR or be designed from the start for it. It's not a simple port. BUT... in pinball's case, I think it's the simplest scenario. The full machine will need to be modeled in 3D (I believe Farsight already has that) and then the user basically sits statically in front of it. All user feedback is already there in the form of the playfield and DMD. I think pinball is a perfect fit for VR and I really hope Farsight jumps on this (my money is on Oculus over Morpheus by the way, just because of hardware limitations).

For the people who just can't get there heads around why VR would be amazing for pinball, check out these videos (they still can't convey the awesomeness, but do give a taste):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln8eR3Pl0P0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mOrh10wDQ

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It would actually be really cool. No need for FarSight to control the camera, as the player could "zoom in" on whatever they want by leaning in, pulling back, whatever. It would also be great for tables that have back-glass stuff. I'd be down for VR in TPA.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Ubisoft are now saying there has to be over 1 million Morpheous sales before they support VR...

Can Sony sell this much? Depends on the price most likely.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/20/gdc-1-million-vr-sales-needed-before-ubisoft-invests

If they can sell it for around the price of a small HDTV then I think it can.

Just think of how many alone they could sell to university students who do not have space for a decent TV so a VR headset (assuming it also supports DVD/Bluray playback which it should) giving you a virtual massive HDTV in your tiny room is a big selling point, even before you consider the VR aspects of it.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
TPA already exists in a virtual 3D world. The biggest thing that FarSight would need to do is to model the sides and back of the cabinets if they let you walk around them. This conversion would probably be almost as easy as adding stereoscopic 3D.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
After seeing inFAMOUS Second Son in person I believe the PS4 is much more capable of a machine than many people give credit.
Especially when developers know their stuff... The visuals in Second Son are the best I've seen in any "next gen" game.

zzzxroom.gif

zzComparison-inFAMOUS3.png

1080p version

Bring on Morpheus! :)

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Phew, upper middle class visuals finally for consoles.
But still pretty I admit.

About VR: This will change everything! Had an Oculus for 3 days and even if it looks crappy still in terms of resolution etc. The level of immersion was SO AWESOME.
Can't imagine what happens if any developer takes this seriously.
The input sensors are pretty basic tech, so I don't think it is that much effort to integrate into new games. But building games especially for it is where the potential is. If oculus or morpheus finally hit the market it will change the way we do gaming.
this time for sure :)

And pricing is supposed to be 200-300, so still affordable I guess.

About menus hud etc. I think DEAD SPACE already had the perfect concept for it. Menu floating in front of your head.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
The Morpheus has had a lot of positive feedback from people who have tried it at GDC. It's full 1080p, very responsive, doesn't make you feel nauseous (that's a big one for me since I sometimes get motion sickness).

I hope it comes out in early 2015.
I like that others can still watch the regular single screen 1080p output too. I play a lot of games in stereoscopic 3D and its a bummer when there are other people who want to watch, but either don't have glasses or can't handle the 3D effect...

The Rift is cool too. I'd probably get one if it weren't for the fact that I'd need to buy a new PC ($1000+), Rift ($400-$450), Rift camera (not sure). I also wish they would hire someone to make it look a little less like a tool box strapped to your face. ;)

EDIT:

Here's some more info on the Morpheus.

sonys-morpheus-vr-headset-for-ps4-has-three-different-processors-could-still-get-an-oled-screen

EDIT 2:

This makes a lot of sense to me..
When Eurogamer questioned Mikhailov on the Thief demo for Project Morpheus, the site asked how a game which “struggles to reach 30fps on PS4″ fares on the VR headset.

“The build we have for Thief is running 60fps, but it’s a PC build so it’s not really a comparison,” he said. But The Deep and Castle are both running at 60, and there’s other games on PS4 that are graphically intense that are running at 60. Really 30 or 60 on PS4 is more an aesthetic choice than a technological choice. Of course you can squeeze in more graphics at 30, there’s no doubt, you have double the frame time.

“The reality is that when you’re rendering VR, a lot of the details that traditionally get done in games like post-effects, motion blur – they’re not needed. Things like a lot of the lens effects, a lot of the distortions people do, they’re quite expensive to do in post. You don’t need those in VR, because you’re trying to make a more believable world. So a lot of what people do in current games are camera artifact effects – vignetting, film grain noise – so you save a lot of processing power there first of all.

“There’s also another belief that people think it takes twice the power to render stereo – that’s not true because your physics, your AI, everything runs once when you’re rendering stereo, and a lot of the graphics even only run once. For example, shadow computations can be re-used from eye to eye. So it’s really not a 2x jump going from mono to stereo.

“I think it’s quite feasible to run 60 in stereo for Morpheus on PS4.”

SOURCE: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...nt-processors-could-still-get-an-oled-screen/

There has been a bunch of leaked I information, but since its not verified I will leave it out. I do think Sony is going all in with VR.

The idea of playing Pinball Arcade with the Morpheus is very exciting. No longer will we have to struggle to find the right camera angle. We could simply just "look around". :)

Last edited:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
The thing they need to improve to go with that is the type of gun peripheral like that came with the Cabela's games. That type of gun that uses a non-visual sensor to tell where the gun is being aimed rather than like the Move controller (which proved to be more accurate currently) that uses the camera to determine where its pointing. It would probably need to work like a digital compass combined with a digital level but I digress..

Can you imagine playing a first person shooter where the Morpheus managed your in-game vision and a gun controller managed your aim? That's where I want to see this stuff go.. not that it won't be cool for pinball too of course.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
The thing they need to improve to go with that is the type of gun peripheral like that came with the Cabela's games. That type of gun that uses a non-visual sensor to tell where the gun is being aimed rather than like the Move controller (which proved to be more accurate currently) that uses the camera to determine where its pointing. It would probably need to work like a digital compass combined with a digital level but I digress..

Can you imagine playing a first person shooter where the Morpheus managed your in-game vision and a gun controller managed your aim? That's where I want to see this stuff go.. not that it won't be cool for pinball too of course.

It'll be interesting for sure.

I had really good accuracy with the Move controllers being used as guns.
Combined with the Sony Shooting Attachments it worked well and was a lot of fun with House of the Dead and Resident Evil games. I only wish they would have released the GunBullet (Point Blank) collection here..

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.