Thoughts on Ouya TPA

Indy99

May 24, 2013
I have an Ouya coming today, as it was Amazon's deal of the day Tuesday for $69.99 and figured why not. I currently play TPA on a Nexus 7 Android tablet, but am interested in being able to play on my big screen. Its obvious that the Ouya version is not that popular, but I am interested to hear any comments on it if it would be worth re-buying the tables for Ouya. Also am interested in any overall Ouya tips and tricks, and other interesting software to look at. Thanks!

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I have an Ouya coming today, as it was Amazon's deal of the day Tuesday for $69.99 and figured why not. I currently play TPA on a Nexus 7 Android tablet, but am interested in being able to play on my big screen. Its obvious that the Ouya version is not that popular, but I am interested to hear any comments on it if it would be worth re-buying the tables for Ouya. Also am interested in any overall Ouya tips and tricks, and other interesting software to look at. Thanks!

Having been burned on the 360 and now PS4 versions, and lacking the funds for a powerful enough computer to play TPA on PC in full 1920x1080 resolution (I have all three seasons up to WhoDunit? so far), I'm wondering that myself.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
its good for what you pay for. That being said you get what you pay for. The specs are basically just like a nexus 7 hardware wise (the old nexus 7).

Indy99

May 24, 2013
Ryan,

I found a pretty major bug in the Ouya version. One of the things I was looking forward to doing with this version was to play 2 player vs. the wife. When you set the game up for 2 players, and the first player finishes, a dialouge box pops up saying its player 2 turn. The problem is, the on screen button is not hooked to any controller button. I can find no way to get past this. There is no way out of this other then exiting the game through the system menu. Is this something you can easily fix? I just bought all 3 seasons for the Ouya and this really sucks not to be able to play 2 player.

Otherwise, the game plays fairly well on Ouya. I had major problems with controller lag with the Ouya controller. No matter what I did, I could not fix this. I ended up plugging in a wired Xbox 360 controller and that worked great. No lag!! I did not experience lag in other games with the Ouya controller, but of course TPA the timing is much more criticial. The wired 360 works, but of course, it is wired which is a bummer.

Hopefully you can adress the multiplayer issue. Anxious to play some new tables vs the wife. We use to play PHOF on 360 quite a bit, but got bored with those tables...

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
I use a PS3 controller with my Ouya 90% of the time. Better than the Ouya junk and no lag. I only use the Ouya controller if the software pitches a fit or requires mouse/touchpad input. Also, TPA just updated the lighting engine on most of the older tables. Hopefully the rest will follow. I don't currently own and smart devices and I don't game on PC. Ouya is currently the only device with day one updates that let's you use a game controller.

Indy99

May 24, 2013
Very interesting Stardust. My initial impression of the quiality of the game on Ouya was pretty bad. But I only ever played on a 7" nexus tablet, and blowing this up to my 65" LED tv I think made it look less impressive. Plus, I was playing landscape which i never really played. Always played portrait on the tablet. Im not sure if all the enhancements that Andorid has had recently made it into the Ouya version, like level of detail, ability to turn mip mapping off, the performance trweak that really improved performance for a lot of devices. But since Ouya is a known system, perhaps other enhancemnts were made instead. Performance did seem a bit jerky to me at times. I now play on the Nexy 7 (2013) but used to play on the Nexy 7 (2012) which had the same guts as the Ouya and I dont remember the jerky performance. It may have been there. Been almost a year since I played on it. Also I lot of the camera angles dont seem to be as good, but again this could be a landscape vs portrait thing. But not being able to play 2 players is really hurting me. That is part of the reason I bought the Ouya just to play multiplayer with the wife.

As for the PS3 controller that is very good news indeed. While the 360 wired controller works great, its ummm, wired! I hate that! So you saw a pretty sizeable difference with the PS3 controller? I may just have to pick one up. Does it just "work", like the 360 controller did? Plug in and go?

Thanks for the comments!

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
If you find a screen that does not have a button mapped to it please feel free to bug it here =) thanks! Also if you get stuck you can use the touch screen on the controller and double tap for the button. Unfortunately Ouya just does not make any revenue for us so getting the time approved to fix things is tough.

Indy99

May 24, 2013
I totally understand that if its not making you guys money its hard to get the time to fix. But this is sort of a game breaking bug for multiplayer... That said any workaround for it would be great. I am not sure what you mean by the touchscreen on the controller? Is there a mode that pops up a touchscreen like interface? Or are there certain controllers with touchpads?

Indy99

May 24, 2013
Ryan,

I figured out what you meant by the touch screen. I had no idea the Ouya controller supported this. Well, the problem is this doesnt really work. It does allow you to click the continue button for player 2, but then things get crazy. The machine will instantly tilt, and sometime other things like the camera angles get all messed up. I cant really figure a way around this. Any other suggestions?

Also, an observation about the Ouya controller and launching balls: Its horrible. When you pull the right thumbstick back and let it go, the plunger goes back but doesnt shoot the ball. If you hold back and then press up, the ball will launch. Obviously this give no precise controls for skill shots. The launching behaves correctly on the xbox 360 controller.

I have seemed to notice the Ouya controller lags more with the newer tables, and when there is a lot going on like multiball. Not sure if this is truely the case or just a coincidence.

Indy99

May 24, 2013
I have also tried turning nudge off to see if that was somehow causing the tilt, but had no effect. as soon as you use the touchpad to click the continue button, no matter how careful, player 2 just goes nuts and usually titlts. Sometimes the ball seems to already be in play. Sometimes the graphics go crazy. But it just really does not like having the continue button clicked in this manner. With what you said regarding Ouya not making money and therfore probably not gonna be patched anytime soon, I do hope this can be patched eventually. I would really like to play multiplayer. I had been waiting to play TPA on my big screen, and this ruins that experience for me. Also, with the Ouya store being licensed out to other Android consoles (I beleive they already announced the Ouya store is coming to the Mojo) - there will be more people downloading through Ouya...

Indy99

May 24, 2013
Bumping this thread. Just raising awareness of the multiplayer bug on Ouya. I know many don't play on Ouya, but I would love to be able to play multiplayer on this. Perhaps with Scumble on board now, this can be looked at at some point. Thanks!

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
Hey Indy99!

Could you detail what exactly the multiplayer bug is? I tried playing a two player game and once the game prompts the next players turn the "O" button works to continue. Whenever you have a chance just explain what the multiplayer bug is and I'll look into it!

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Indy99

May 24, 2013
Scumble,

Thank you so much! I am not sure who fixed this or when, but I can finally play multiplayer on the Ouya, which is why I bought it!! I had not even turned my Ouya on for like 3 months thinking this bug was in place. Your predecessor sort of hinted that there were not enough Ouya sales to make it worth patching so I had really given up hope. Works great now though! Thank you for taking the time to look into this. I should have confirmed before I bumped the post and made you waste your time, but thanks again!

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
No problem Indy99! And please feel free to start a post or just message me if you are ever having any problems on OUYA. I don't care how well the OUYA is selling, as long as people are playing TPA on it, it will always be a priority! :)

Thanks again!

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
[MENTION=2641]Indy99[/MENTION]: I use the PS3 controllers because they don't lag like the Ouya. I only use the Ouya controller for games that use the touchpad input. About 95% of options in TPA don't need the touchpad, but there are a few that do. Selecting 3 or 5 balls in the EM tables. Genie, Big Shot, and City Park are affected. Other than that, you can not navigate the pro menu options without the touchpad.

Another issue is if you have a lot of network congestion (common in dorm rooms, apartments) and have multiple controllers connected to the Ouya system, TPA will try to read the inputs from both controllers. It can cause analog components like the thumbsticks to go batsh** and will cause problems with the ball launcher and tilt tilt tilt the game. Workaround: don't run TPA on the Ouya with two controllers activated.

Also the aluminum case is bad for wireless as it blocks the Bluetooth/WiFi, so you will get better range if you install a case mod, or simply take the PCB out of the Ouya case. No more internet hangups and laggy controllers...

This is my Ouya with acrylic case mode, a question block engraved into it:
ouya_case_mod_acrylic_question_block_by_stardust4ever-d6fijnk.jpg

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
[MENTION=2641]Indy99[/MENTION]: I use the PS3 controllers because they don't lag like the Ouya. I only use the Ouya controller for games that use the touchpad input. About 95% of options in TPA don't need the touchpad, but there are a few that do. Selecting 3 or 5 balls in the EM tables. Genie, Big Shot, and City Park are affected. Other than that, you can not navigate the pro menu options without the touchpad.

Another issue is if you have a lot of network congestion (common in dorm rooms, apartments) and have multiple controllers connected to the Ouya system, TPA will try to read the inputs from both controllers. It can cause analog components like the thumbsticks to go batsh** and will cause problems with the ball launcher and tilt tilt tilt the game. Workaround: don't run TPA on the Ouya with two controllers activated.

Also the aluminum case is bad for wireless as it blocks the Bluetooth/WiFi, so you will get better range if you install a case mod, or simply take the PCB out of the Ouya case. No more internet hangups and laggy controllers...

This is my Ouya with acrylic case mode, a question block engraved into it:
ouya_case_mod_acrylic_question_block_by_stardust4ever-d6fijnk.jpg

Just make sure no one hits their head against it LOL!

Seriously, that is nice!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.