General Tips

Trever Chalmers

Mar 29, 2014
Hello

I am just wondering how come people seem to get such high scores were as my score seems so little. This table frustrates me. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to have a good run on a single ball before it slingshots into the outlane. Anytime I try to nudge it, it still ends up going down.

Any tips advice would be appreciated. I'm not looking to be top of leaderboards but a bigger score would be nice :)

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Hello

I am just wondering how come people seem to get such high scores were as my score seems so little. This table frustrates me. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to have a good run on a single ball before it slingshots into the outlane. Anytime I try to nudge it, it still ends up going down.

Any tips advice would be appreciated. I'm not looking to be top of leaderboards but a bigger score would be nice :)

Much like other tables, keep playing and figure out what scores on the table. Sinking ships is big obviously. Figure out how to mark the letters and fire the cannon. Read the forums and chat room. I read a tip Roy Wils gave on Star Trek and that helped me immensely.

Last edited:

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Ok thanks, will do :)

Usually the wizard goals give a hint to what scores on a table. And what I meant by Star Trek isn't specific to this table, but to ST itself. What Roy said for ST was to repeat MB for high scores on ST. Sometimes the pros will drop hints here and there. My tip is to play the tournaments when they pop up. This helped me immensely.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
The big points in this game are for sinking ships. Oh and collecting extra balls. :)

1) go infinite by collecting the whirlpool ramp extra ball every ball. To reliably trap the ball after shooting the ramp, nudge up JUST after the ball hits the raised flipper. You also will be able to get extra balls off video modes.
2) play multiball a lot. wait for the main multiball music to start before plunging to get some easy side ramp loops (and sink skip letters). With three ball multiball you get TWO letters per ramp, so it's worth it to lock both up, and get 6 free letters off the plunge. with practice you will get a ship to sink nearly every single multiball, if not two.
3) learn how to use the cannon. aim for three bank ricochets with it when they are lit, or the broadside hole when you actually need to sink a ship. When te lock is lit for cannon award, shoot it, it's an ultra easy shot.
4) at first, double broadside is very good, if you can dial in that shot. but later, sinking ships, which scores 20 million, 30 million, 40 million, etc without limit, rapidly eclipses everything else in the game.

Last edited:

PC.Doctor

Jul 22, 2013
Nudging is your friend in Black Rose (and any other pinball machine). Although not gauranteed, nudging decreases your chances on draining the ball. Just be careful not to nudge too much or else you will tilt.

For this table alone, the best way to score points is to sink ships. Spell "SINK SHIP" by shooting the left ramp during multi-ball. Once "SINK SHIP" is spelled, go to the raised platform to get to the cannon and shoot towards the middle. First ship is worth 20 million.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I would say to mainly focus on multiball. Shoot the lock, when the ball ejects from the lock, let it bounce on left flipper to the right, cradle on right flipper, then shoot it back into the lock until you get multiball. Plunge, then when the locked ball is released let it bounce on left flipper to the right then shoot it back to the lock. I prefer two ball multiball with one ball in the lock, you only have to focus on one ball until the other one us rereleased. Meanwhile just shoot ramps, whichever you're most comfortable with. You could work the whirlpool if you learn the shot. When multiball is over, don't go for sinking ship right away, go for multiball again. And again. Now and then a missed lock shot goes up the ramp, then seize the opportunity to shoot for loading the cannon. If you have at least 5 ships to sink, maybe you want to go for them but not until then, at least.
Oh, and really work on aiming that cannon. It is the most important shot for you. Find some point of reference. I try to tap screen as quick as possible when the dot on the cannon lable is right between the wires. Well it's hard to explain exactly but just find a concistent system for the shot.

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I disagree. always cash in your ships ASAP, because then you can also collect cannon awards, which are often nice. the cannon will often open up without any effort on your part, and you can also open it safely with skillshots. If you still have ships to sink you don't get cannon awards, like double broadside, video mode (which can be extra ball), double letters (which can get you six letters if aimed right), etc.

Last edited:

Trever Chalmers

Mar 29, 2014
Thanks for all your help guys will post an update once I hit the big score lol. Is it me or does it seem like the slingshot is much faster on this table compared to others?

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
I disagree. always cash in your ships ASAP, because then you can also collect cannon awards, which are often nice. the cannon will often open up without any effort on your part, and you can also open it safely with skillshots. If you still have ships to sink you don't get cannon awards, like double broadside, video mode (which can be extra ball), double letters (which can get you six letters if aimed right), etc.
I completly agree here. There are also the "millions" where the locker lane can be looped with big scores. Pinball wisdom tells us that taking a chance now is mostly better than preserving it.

Tips:
1. A failed broadside is a very dangerous moment for the ball so reducing broadside shots in favor of pretty safe cove shots is worth to try.
2. Video modes are getting harder every time. It seems a good idea to skip them if the reward is only a locker or 500k.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.