High Speed Gameplay Video, Impressions and Commentary

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Hi everyone,

I put up a short video with HS gameplay and some talking head style commentary.

This kind of a format experiment and I'm not an editing virtuoso by any means.

It was designed to play on a rotated monitor (portrait). Not vertical video syndrome but full screen in portrait mode (normal orientation but rotated monitor).
My cat is annoying.

Please check it out and let me know what you think about the format

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Nice !

Great video Super! :cool: Those two stage flippers look like they really enhance the ball handling.

You play similarly to me, in regards to the catch and shoot for this table. Ritchie tries to lure you into the flow, but if you resist and take control of the ball the "machine" won't send it down the middle or out lanes. Any missed shots are likely to be rewarded with a drain, LOL

Again, great video and loved the commentary. Catch ya later.

Timelord ...

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I think it turned out great. I'd enjoy if you did this for each new table we get. Your setup looks & sounds good even the way you recorded it. Don't be so hard on yourself. Big thumbs up from me.

I also love the cat commentary. Now I really want Bad Cats to see what your cat thinks of that one. ;)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Good stuff. I plan on doing one for each table. I realized that I had balanced the volume improperly which is why the gameplay was overwhelmingly loud. I also plan on doing better editing in the future but my laptop is so damn slow when it comes to adobe premier. Thanks for the encouragement. More to come

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
i enjoyed that more than the TPA stream. you're a good player, you seem to have great ball control and I saw a few good saves.

PC.Doctor

Jul 22, 2013
the only thing that annoys me when I play HS is when the ball drains the moment it's launched into the playfield. Without a ball save, I lose a ball that I have no control over :mad:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It was a harsh reality of pinball for a long time. I had that happen during my first multiball

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Great video SB - especially given you haven't used a video capture card. Looked great. Couple of questions:

1) how do you get dual action flippers? That shot you pulled off whilst cradling on the right flipper, I've often though it would be great to be able to achieve that. I use a wireless Xbox controller - can I do it with that?

2) I recently purchased a 24" Dell UltraSharp IPS screen. Whilst I mainly got it for photo work, the mount allows me to move between portrait and landscape mode easily. Great for playing TPA. The native resolution is 1080p. Playing TPA in portrait in the native resolution makes everything look stretched out, the circular shoot again in HS looks more oval shaped. The table is very thin and doesn't fill the screen when playing in view "4" (the most zoomed out one). What resolution should I be playing in or what settings should I be tweaking for the best.

cheers

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Great video SB - especially given you haven't used a video capture card. Looked great. Couple of questions:

1) how do you get dual action flippers? That shot you pulled off whilst cradling on the right flipper, I've often though it would be great to be able to achieve that. I use a wireless Xbox controller - can I do it with that?

2) I recently purchased a 24" Dell UltraSharp IPS screen. Whilst I mainly got it for photo work, the mount allows me to move between portrait and landscape mode easily. Great for playing TPA. The native resolution is 1080p. Playing TPA in portrait in the native resolution makes everything look stretched out, the circular shoot again in HS looks more oval shaped. The table is very thin and doesn't fill the screen when playing in view "4" (the most zoomed out one). What resolution should I be playing in or what settings should I be tweaking for the best.

cheers

Thanks a ton.

Answers the best I can

1) yes you can. I use a wired 360 controller you just need to set your flippers to the analog triggers.

They have the sensitivity tweaked really well but it will take some practice.

2) you can try setting your resolution to 1050x1680 and see if that alleviates things. I remember discussing this with someone when the steam version was first released and maybe was an ati issue (?).

What graphics card are you using at present? You could also try different scaling options or check that your monitor has a true 1:1 pixel ratio, meaning that your pixels are perfectly square as opposed to say having a 1:1.3 ratio or something of the like.

Lastly you might very able to find a picture stretching function in your monitors menu. Of course this is a pain because you would have to undo it constantly. Your video card may have a key stoning function as well that will allow tou to drag the corners of your screen around. This would be catalyst control center for ati and last time I had an NVidia card their utility was called nview or something like that.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
thanks for the feedback SB.

I used to play the 360 version with the analog triggers but ended up getting RSI due to the degree of movement in the buttons and excessive usage :) so switched to the bumpers. Just a shame I can't cradle with the bumpers and then 2 stage with the analog triggers.

my laptop has both an intel HD4000 card in it and a Nvidia card (switches via optimus). I will have a closer look at the settings and options available.

cheers

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
The triggers are a bit more sensitive. I used to have them switched to the bumpers as well but they have returned the analog sensitivity.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
The game looks and plays so much better on PC than iPad, at least it seems so. Lighting is beautiful and the nudging is 3x more than we get away with. Nice video.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Very well done! I also liked the "cat" commentary :)
I've subscribed & I'll make sure to check out your other vids.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Thanks nightwing,

I'm working on finding time to get my next vid up but the more complex games take a bit more work.
Glad you enjoy them,

Members online

Members online