Fishtales......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I'd love to see an option in pro mode for this which allows for regular-sized flippers. I know the machine was launched with the lightning bats, but even the designer Mark Ritchie has regular-sized bats on his home one!

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I'd love to see an option in pro mode for this which allows for regular-sized flippers. I know the machine was launched with the lightning bats, but even the designer Mark Ritchie has regular-sized bats on his home one!

FarSight's license won't allow for such a change. The tables have to be as they were in the original production.

Ronwell_Pudding

Apr 7, 2014
This is a "greedy operators" table. Designed to end fast. Pretty neat eh? Keeps you coming back for more right? Not bloody likely. Apparently the flippers weren't supposed to be this way in the original design. They were regular flippers and some greedy operators insisted on the change. Because when it comes to gameplay, who knows better than the operators? My buddy's dad had one in his arcade and was pissed at the "one play and walk away" appeal this game had. He lost money. I see these for sale and they never go for much because, hey, when you play pinball you wanna have fun. This table is not fun. Period.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I've played the real table a lot and can confirm it's harder. Also agree that it's the best recreation Farsight has done so far.
Interesting experience I have with the real table is that at first it played almost exactly like the TPA version, but when the owner changed the flippers rubbers to newer ones it changed the gameplay a lot. Different bounces, traps, shots, you name it. It became even harder! So such a small detail can make a huge difference, and it's just impossible to make a digital version that plays like the original because all the original pins play more or less differently.

For fast cast, try nudging table to the right just about when the ball comes down through the spinner in the left loop. It's still not the easiest but I've done it many many times this way and it's been reported to work on several platforms.

And about scoring big...have you tried to backhand the lock...:)

Last edited:

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Though the gameplay is pretty rough. It's got one of my favorite video modes of all time. It's one of those tables that grows on you, so don't get discouraged too quickly

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Though the gameplay is pretty rough. It's got one of my favorite video modes of all time. It's one of those tables that grows on you, so don't get discouraged too quickly

A true toughie, but with some persistence, you can get all of the wizard goals. The double jackpot goal was my toughest, but I have done it.

I can handle the fact that the TPA tables can be unlike their real counterparts, because TPA is all about enjoying the old tables that can be hard (or impossible) to find nowadays. While Zen and Pro Pinball do an admirable job of bringing the pinball experience home with realistic play at a low cost, at least FarSight brings back the sights and sounds of actual pinball machines.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I still think the real table is easier then TPA, even with the lightning flippers. I've gotten a lot more fastcasts on the real thing, and a lot more monster fish hurryups. while the flipper gap caused by lightning flippers does make the game harder, it seems to flow better with them. the boat ramps are pretty easily alternated on all real fish tales games i've played, and i've always felt it was my fault when i failed to light or collect a monster fish.

that said, this table is VERY easy to choke on in real life, and multiball is seriously difficult, with rock the boat being a much more practical goal.

PS. a silly operator placed lightning flippers on hurricane one day, and I played it. it does not make it any harder. in fact it made the game EASIER, causing the center ramp loop to be a LOT more consistent to shoot, and you can of course start right in after the plunge... lightning flippers don't matter if the ball keeps returning to the inlanes every time. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts