How Fish Tales can be so hard?

hawk

Mar 1, 2014
I know the real pin is hard too. I played it many times. :D

Not that I dislike it. I actually enjoy it since this one is challenging and I can play it even when I have little time. The game never lasts long. ;)

I'm just curious how this pin become hard in TPA since other tables seem to be way easier. This one is like an exception to the rule.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
I never played this table in real life. For me the two things that makes it hard are:

Those damn lightning flipperd
This damn caster club that is almost unreachable!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I never played this table in real life. For me the two things that makes it hard are:

Those damn lightning flipperd
This damn caster club that is almost unreachable!

Yeah, you beat me to it. Damn Lightning Flippers.

It's interesting to note that the game was originally designed with normal bats, but when the game was introduced into Europe, operators demanded reduced play times.

This is why we have Lightning Flippers.

I also agree with you regarding the Casters Club upkicker is very hard to shoot in TPA. It wasn't that easy in the actual game, but in TPA I haven't found a way of getting the Fast Cast consistently, or locking balls during multiball consistently.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Yeah, you beat me to it. Damn Lightning Flippers.

It's interesting to note that the game was originally designed with normal bats, but when the game was introduced into Europe, operators demanded reduced play times.

This is why we have Lightning Flippers.

I also agree with you regarding the Casters Club upkicker is very hard to shoot in TPA. It wasn't that easy in the actual game, but in TPA I haven't found a way of getting the Fast Cast consistently, or locking balls during multiball consistently.

I wonder if they could eventually include regular flippers at some point. I realize they can only reproduce the game as made but since it was part of the original design that should be something that could be allowed.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I'm just curious how this pin become hard in TPA since other tables seem to be way easier. This one is like an exception to the rule.
Ever since STTNG the difficulty on tables has been getting more in line with their real-life counterparts.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I still think the real pin is easier then this recreation even with the lightning flippers.

I've gotten fast cast on it numerous times, and can do much better in rock the boat and getting monster fish hurryups, and the captive ball is much easier to wail on. And no real one i've ever played has rejected as many casters club shots as TPA's version. really the only thing lightning flippers affect is the difficulty of recovery after the captive ball. Otherwise the ball tends to have enough sideways travel that you can save it. the outlanes are nasty though. you have to learn to nudge as the ball hits the sling to get it to go up into the fish standups.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
I like it - FS is finally starting to get the challenge level closer to the real thing. Some of these sims are so ridiculously easy - and the absurd scoreboards reflect that. Pinball games aren't supposed to last for 30+ minutes.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
It's the lightning flippers. It's bizarre how unsafe they make you feel. Lots of centre drains that a nudge can no longer save.

I went from playing FT to BR, and even just glancing at the flipper on that one made me feel secure!

Personally I don't understand why operators were so keen to cut down game times. If a game is too difficult, people don't come back to it. I barely ever put money into Iron Man, because I know my game will not last long. Something like Monopoly has longer game times and I will quite regularly go to that one.

Of course, my arcade closed down, so I don't know why I'm talking in the present tense :(

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
There were two Fish Tales at Pinfest recently, and they both played quite differently!

For the Casters' Club, it's best to trap on the right flipper and backhand it. It's a more controlled shot and you tend to find balls stick in there better when they're moving slower. It's the same on the real table.

The timing on the spinner from the Starboard ramp in TPA is really, really, tricky. It's a tiny sweet spot and it's not easy. I guess the lightning flippers don't help, but that's how the table is, so practice :)

As for Fast Cast - there is a generous grace period. Do a loop pass to the right flipper from the plunge, and you have the time to trap on the right and backhand. After you've got the Goal, don't bother with Fast Cast, Long Cast is more valuable and easier to hit.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
There were two Fish Tales at Pinfest recently, and they both played quite differently!

For the Casters' Club, it's best to trap on the right flipper and backhand it. It's a more controlled shot and you tend to find balls stick in there better when they're moving slower. It's the same on the real table.

The timing on the spinner from the Starboard ramp in TPA is really, really, tricky. It's a tiny sweet spot and it's not easy. I guess the lightning flippers don't help, but that's how the table is, so practice :)

As for Fast Cast - there is a generous grace period. Do a loop pass to the right flipper from the plunge, and you have the time to trap on the right and backhand. After you've got the Goal, don't bother with Fast Cast, Long Cast is more valuable and easier to hit.

Not sure if a backhand is possible to that shot, I certainly couldn't pull it off last night. Will test your theory today.

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
I like it - FS is finally starting to get the challenge level closer to the real thing. Some of these sims are so ridiculously easy - and the absurd scoreboards reflect that. Pinball games aren't supposed to last for 30+ minutes.

Cant echo this enough. Spot on.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
That doesn't work on my droid. Trapping costs way too much time and backhands don't register. But it can be done simply from the left flipper with a bit of luck. After a lock I can do it often. I got even 3M for a double shot.

Overall FT is easier for me than C1812 but the games end up shooting the boat ramps for the monster fish. Anything else will be punished with a quick drain. Usually the ball is already out when the frenzy or rock-the-boat starts. The 3-ball mb belongs to the least rewarding in pinball history because the Casters' Club most of times reflects the ball for a drain STDM. The original table was a coin muncher. This time I'm the operator but not really happy.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online