So much for the Wii's "Greatness"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-reports-a-loss-of-457-million-3ds-and-wii-u-1572841102?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

This truly doesn't surprise me. In fact, I remember debating someone on here about how Nintendo truly hasn't been relevant since the N64 days, and that sales were nothing compared to PS3/XBox. (And even today vs the PS4/XBOX1)

Again, just another reminder.

I truly hope TPA doesn't waste their time on another system, esp one that under performs and under sells. We need them focused on the systems that actually do good.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
While I would have liked Nintendo's console to be more on par with the PS4 and Xbox1, hardware wise, the biggest thing I dislike about the Wii U is the gamepad controller. I found it to be bulky, gimmicky and an unnecessary cost. I would have been more intersted in this console, had it been a simple HD Nintendo box for about $150.00 to $200.00, tops. They could have kept the backwards compatibility with Wii games and their accessories, if cost effective, and just included the pro controller that they made for the Wii U. Oh, and speaking of "Wii U", they could have easily done without that name.

I know Nintendo has always tried to be innovative and bring something new to the table but, I think, they should have looked at their roots on designing this console. Why do people buy Nintendo hardware? For Nintendo games, of course. Forget about the costly add on of that touch screen and design a resonably priced HD box to play Nintendo games. They're not going supplant the PS4 or Xbox 1, so look at Nintendo's box as being a secondary console to play Nintendo games. Forget the gimmicks. Most don't care about the 3d in the 3DS anymore and it's selling pretty well considering the incredible competition it has from other portable products, like...smart phones! And look at the PS4! It's got almost nothing "new and exciting." A refined Dual Shock controller and a powerful PC like architecture was all it took to get developers to flock to it. And since there's not a super selection of A list PS4 games yet, what does Sony do? They push the hell out of PS+, with great free and discounted older games and the subscriptions went through the roof. Nintendo could have easily done that with some HD remakes of some of it's classics. Combined with a low priced and simplified HD Nintendo console, I think they would be doing much better.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-reports-a-loss-of-457-million-3ds-and-wii-u-1572841102?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

This truly doesn't surprise me. In fact, I remember debating someone on here about how Nintendo truly hasn't been relevant since the N64 days, and that sales were nothing compared to PS3/XBox. (And even today vs the PS4/XBOX1)

I truly hope TPA doesn't waste their time on another system, esp one that under performs and under sells. We need them focused on the systems that actually do good.

If you are calling the Wii a sales flop, I'm not sure where you've been in the last few years. Don't know how the final sales figures of all three consoles compare (indeed, the PS3 and 360 are still going while Wii is being phased out), but there was a long period where the Wii was doing very well for Nintendo.

No denying the Wii U isn't selling, though. I do like mine. Fun to root for the underdog.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
The Wii was far and away the biggest selling console of the last generation. Some people like to pretend it wasn't a real gaming console for whatever reason, but the fact is that it was profitable for Nintendo from day one, unlike either the Xbox 360 or the PS3, both of which took years to break even from a hardware sales perspective.

The Wii U is doing badly by comparison with the Wii without a doubt, for various reasons, but given the imminent release of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros., I think it's too soon to count it out.

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012

sorta like elecktra, the record company, kept wasting their time with the band dokken, when they could of been focusing on other better bands.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm getting a Wii U regardless of if TPA comes out for it.

Frankly, I probably won't get TPA on the Wii U as I have it on 3 other platforms.
I still want it, it looks fun. I don't care about sales. Nintendo supported their third place Gamecube for quite a while and as long as the Wii U is profitable (it doesn't have to be a sales monster or the top console to be profitable) it will be supported. There are great games for it and the controller can be put to great use (look at the Rayman game for example).

Of course, it's not the powerhouse people like to call it. I also like the term "core" gamer a lot more than I liked the term "hardcore" gamer (totally irrelevant to the topic, I know)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
for me nintendo used to have some niche but brilliant games after loosing the throne after the snes, thr n64 had a much more limited selection but some unquie and quirk games, same clukd be said abiut gamecube, the wii aside from some bery good games was an also ran system sadky, too much focus on **** motions games for my liking, if thry want the wiiu ti survive its time for some interesting games. remake enternal darkness itlls ella. ahit load

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
eternal darkness is a sick game.

I only bought a wii because it was half the price of a set of component cables for the Gamecube.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
I am impressed with the way Mario Kart 8 is looking and it's the only console out of the new ones I really want to get. I don't trust Microsoft and I don't care for the kinect, and the PS4 might be nice one day but so far there are no games I want even on the horizon. I hope Nintendo gets some system sellers out there soon, I think Mario Kart 8 and the new Smash Bros games will help a lot. I am not a Nintendo person per-say, but I loved the NES, Game Boy and the Gamecube and it would be a damn shame if Nintendo ever folded. I wasn't as impressed with the original Wii, but I think all they need to get the Wii U off the ground is more software. I think I'll buy a Wii U when MK8 comes out, and I will probably buy NES-Remix as well.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

According to this the Wii sold a good 20 million more than both the PS3 and 360.

Yeah, and why did they sell so many units? Because, Nintendo priced the Wii at a low cost and bundled it with a ton of accessories. (Games, extra remote, etc) I still remember our local "Big Lots" stores carrying them. (Think of "Big Lots" as a tiny step above your typical Dollar Store) Now, it appears that little pricing trick isn't working anymore.

I've never heard of or seen this website, but I'll give it to you. The sales numbers I've seen online in the past have said different, but no matter. I remember when the "Gamecube" was the latest craze and everyone had one. (Mostly because of the pricing)

I always thought the Wii was just a flash in the pan, the latest "trendy" system to own. It appears that craze is now over. My thing is that Farsight has it's hands full with so many other systems and devices. I would hope they wouldn't waste their time on one that is failing, slowing down support for the ones that are actually succeeding.

sorta like elecktra, the record company, kept wasting their time with the band dokken, when they could of been focusing on other better bands.

What does that have to do with Nintendo? lol

Actually, Elektra was also supporting Metallica at the time, and both bands were nominated for a Grammy one year, so it appears that Dokken wasn't just another "glam band"... at least I don't remember any others being nominated along with a powerhouse like Metallica.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Yeah, and why did they sell so many units? Because, Nintendo priced the Wii at a low cost and bundled it with a ton of accessories. (Games, extra remote, etc) I still remember our local "Big Lots" stores carrying them. (Think of "Big Lots" as a tiny step above your typical Dollar Store) Now, it appears that little pricing trick isn't working anymore.

I've never heard of or seen this website, but I'll give it to you. The sales numbers I've seen online in the past have said different, but no matter. I remember when the "Gamecube" was the latest craze and everyone had one. (Mostly because of the pricing)

I always thought the Wii was just a flash in the pan, the latest "trendy" system to own. It appears that craze is now over. My thing is that Farsight has it's hands full with so many other systems and devices. I would hope they wouldn't waste their time on one that is failing, slowing down support for the ones that are actually succeeding.

What does that have to do with Nintendo? lol

Actually, Elektra was also supporting Metallica at the time, and both bands were nominated for a Grammy one year, so it appears that Dokken wasn't just another "glam band"... at least I don't remember any others being nominated along with a powerhouse like Metallica.

Jethro Tull! ;-)

Nintendo do a great job with the woo. It was profitable on day 1 whereas the other companies did lose money on each ps3/x360 sold for the first year or two. They were the lead seller for a few years but it eventually fell and fell very hard. The wii u has some great games but seems to be a big misstep. However I do imagine that while it is not selling great, it probably is quite profitable for Nintendo.

PC.Doctor

Jul 22, 2013
Just note that people buy the PS3 and the X360 because they have better performance and can handle more than what the Wii U can handle. Nintendo sells their products at a cheaper price because, in terms of technical specs, their products are inferior compared to the other two consoles.

To wrap it all up, gamers (teen to young adult) buy PS3s and X360s because of their performance and realism. The Wii U, on the other hand, is more for a younger audience (children to tweens).

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
dokkenrocken.. I actually like the band dokken.. I was just trying to point out that you like to crap on alotta things that others enjoy.. plz look at all your posts (in the short time you have been here) they are more than 75% of you talking ****.. you seem like an intelligent person, and I love controversy.. but you overdo it. this forum is a great place for the latest info and opinions.
as much as I love reading drama.. your post are banal to me. feel free to block me or whatever. I just think you could use your time and intelligence in a different manner.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013

The Wii "craze" is over because the system is now over seven years old :p it ran for a good number of years with solid sales. And the figures on that site match up with others. The fifth best selling console of all time can hardly be called a fad.

Not sure why you think the Gamecube was popular, though. In that era, everything else was eclipsed by the PS2, selling seven to eight times as much as the Gamecube. As much as I love it, it didn't do well!

Just note that people buy the PS3 and the X360 because they have better performance and can handle more than what the Wii U can handle. Nintendo sells their products at a cheaper price because, in terms of technical specs, their products are inferior compared to the other two consoles.

To wrap it all up, gamers (teen to young adult) buy PS3s and X360s because of their performance and realism. The Wii U, on the other hand, is more for a younger audience (children to tweens).

Don't go thinking realism is all gamers care about. I love a number of Wii games (some of which I wouldn't recommend for children), and can easily look past the graphical differences between consoles.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
The only way I would consider a WiiU is if they came out with a compilation of their old arcade games. But if it hasn't happened by now, I don't think it will ever happen. I'm sure it would sell-I mean, people are still competing for world records on the original DK arcade trilogy even today. It would probably sell even more if both Punch-Outs were included.

Although I wouldn't get TPA for it-I've spent enough money and time on multiple platforms already.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
The only way I would consider a WiiU is if they came out with a compilation of their old arcade games. But if it hasn't happened by now, I don't think it will ever happen. I'm sure it would sell-I mean, people are still competing for world records on the original DK arcade trilogy even today. It would probably sell even more if both Punch-Outs were included.

Although I wouldn't get TPA for it-I've spent enough money and time on multiple platforms already.

Do you mean specifically the arcade versions, or would you settle for NES? Because a lot of the NES games are available on the virtual console.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
The real reason the Wii sold so well is because both MS and Sony encouraged peopel to also get a wii instead of their competitirs system.

"For the price of a ps3, you can get a 360 and a wii!"

"OMG, don't get the 360 too, get a wii"

So many people who didn't get both a 360 and a ps3 got a wii, on both sides.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012

So why aren't children and tweens considered gamers?
Are you suggesting that gamers who chose a Nintendo system aren't gamers, but something inferior?
As someone who's been a gamer for 31 years, and has played the grand majority of consoles ever to exist, including a lot of really obscure ones, I'm leaning toward getting the Wii U over either of the current gen consoles. How does that make me less of a gamer? I like games. Mario games aren't for children, they are geared to all age groups. Zelda games are for all age groups. Just because something doesn't contain "mature" (generally blood and tits) content doesn't make it any less of a game. How are Metroid games any less for gamers than GTAV?

I can even name a game released exclusively for a Nintendo console that was later released an entire generation later for a Microsoft console that Microsoft felt the need to censor further.

The real reason the Wii sold so well is because both MS and Sony encouraged peopel to also get a wii instead of their competitirs system.

"For the price of a ps3, you can get a 360 and a wii!"

"OMG, don't get the 360 too, get a wii"

So many people who didn't get both a 360 and a ps3 got a wii, on both sides.

Let's not forget that the Wii was also sold as a "health conscious" console at drug and health store chains, was endorsed by many healthy living organizations (for example Participaction here in Canada), and was frequently found in bars for Wii Bowling competitions and Nursing homes. How many consoles have actually tapped the 60+ year old market. Nintendo Wii sales dropped mainly because they simply ran out of people to sell them to(exaggeration).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.