Junkyard Impressions

p6800

May 17, 2013
I find whodunnit even floatier than junk yard. It's like two teams are alternating releases. whodunnit was bad, very bad, even the colors have a stange tint, like in the past. High speed felt great in every aspect, nothing to complain there. Junk yard again feels under par. Graphics and colors are ok, no strange tint, but the floatiness and extra bouncier ball ruin it for me.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I have played floaty who dunnit games, but you are right, the manual says factory slope is 6.5 degrees, just like every other Williams game with ramps.

I believe Premiere games have a lower slope, but i can't find a manual to look in.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
Regarding the PHOF-points. For you (on Android) that get really low PHOF-points, what were your factory set high scores? In the 100k's? Mine were 500k, 400k, 300k, 200k, 100k which was kind of weird.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Does anybody else have trouble seeing the ball when it comes down the inlanes toward the flippers in lower landscape views?

Yes, oh, absolutely, yes. I came here just to post about this. What's with those extra-tall plastics sitting on like the third story up above the inlanes? You can't see the ball as it approaches the flippers on every inlane feed, which happens approximately every four seconds on this table.

I get if it's true to the real machine, but damn, that headache makes me never want to play the TPA version. Only the highest camera avoids this problem but I can never hit shots from that view on any tables.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I love it. Great, colorful artwork and really cool toys.

The only thing I feel like it's missing is an orbit. The Toilet shot should have lifted up to reveal an orbit... It just feels repetitive hitting that toilet over and over for very little score.

Overall I really like it a lot. Great addition.

So what are all the time zones? I've gotten 1995 (AFM) 1992 (TAF) 1993 (CFTBL) and 1999 (BK2000) so far.

Also if BK2000 is 1999 and not 1989, then why isn't Creature 1959 instead of 1993, if you follow me.

One other question: the dogs collar saying "TPA", that's intentional right? Can that be changed in the pro menu?

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I love it. Great, colorful artwork and really cool toys.

The only thing I feel like it's missing is an orbit. The Toilet shot should have lifted up to reveal an orbit... It just feels repetitive hitting that toilet over and over for very little score.

Overall I really like it a lot. Great addition.

So what are all the time zones? I've gotten 1995 (AFM) 1992 (TAF) 1993 (CFTBL) and 1999 (BK2000) so far.

Also if BK2000 is 1999 and not 1989, then why isn't Creature 1959 instead of 1993, if you follow me.

One other question: the dogs collar saying "TPA", that's intentional right? Can that be changed in the pro menu?

The Time Machine goes back to the date a few months after the original game has been released. So MOVE YOUR CAR from Creature is from 1993 instead of 1992. Same would go for all other previous games.

I can see what you're saying about the dates as well. True, Creature was made in 1959, but the pinball game didn't come out that year.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
The Time Machine goes back to the date a few months after the original game has been released. So MOVE YOUR CAR from Creature is from 1993 instead of 1992. Same would go for all other previous games.

I can see what you're saying about the dates as well. True, Creature was made in 1959, but the pinball game didn't come out that year.

I guess the remaining question then is why is bk2k 1999?

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
I guess the remaining question then is why is bk2k 1999?

Knight Mission mode has been confirmed NOT to be a shout out to BK2K by the creators of Junkyard. They stated that they were referencing a game that was to be made in the future (this was before Pinball 2000 so it was never made at all). Looks like the mode has placeholder music as well, the same tune is used for Outerspace.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I think this a fun table with nice animations. I thoroughly hate Dr. Dude with a vengeance, but in this table the art style and goofy humor don't annoy me for some reason. It may be a tad easy because in only my second game without knowing the rules, I scored 188M and reached the end game twice (but still have to win it though). That could be a fluke but getting to 1000 PHOF points will be much easier on this table than on other S2/3 tables. I like the layout, it feels "roomy" and there are different and seemingly equal things to shoot for (no real bread-and-butter shot here that I've identified so far). It's not a high flow table, but the magic bus ramp works a bit like an orbit and it's fun to try to get that shot into a flow. For the stop-and-go shots the balls is fed back quite quick to the left flipper. I don't like how the toilet jackpot maxes out that quickly, I would think that that shot should be rewarded differently/better after maxing the jackpot (or implement a slower buildup). The modes feel quite similar, they could have mixed that up a bit more. The game is fairly generous with extra balls, which already has led to some big scores in the leaderboards. I haven't played the real table so I'm curious how this TPA versions stacks up.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
The theme is funny and the decisons you can make are interesting.

I'm not lucky with my score (51M) and HoF points. I played on my Android tablet only where the crane and the sewer are difficult to get. I played Outer Space (wizard mode) soon (after 1 hour) and lost.

I suck at the Save the Girl video mode which may correct a supposed imbalance of this table. Bowen Kerins claimed in a post that with it you can score highly and infinite.

Last edited:

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
JY can be pretty easy. I finished the wizard mode on my first play. I've had very little time with one IRL but I'm sure it's not that easy. I'll probably end up turning off extra balls to make it more difficult. Nonetheless, JY looks really good and is a fine addition to TPA. But, the song "Money (that's what I want)" really gets on my nerves after a while.

Edit - I do want to say kudos to FarSight for a job well done on the wrecking ball physics. Looks real to me.

The real Junk Yard is rather finicky. Sometimes, you can get really long, wonderful games on it. Sometimes, you'll get chewed up and tossed out like chewing gum. Either way, the real thing is really only slightly easier than its late-90s comrades, and the game's highly progression-based structure means you'll perform just as well not really aiming for anything in particular (and just keeping the ball from draining) as you would if you read and memorized all of the rules.

I think both of those traits come from how the most important shots in the game (the doghouse scoop and the sewer scoop) become real drain hazards if missed and can be fairly difficult shots, at least on the real thing (the sewer more so than the doghouse). If you're just shooting at everything you see with a flashing light, you'll just progress with no real focus but still be rewarded for doing so, and you'll make a lot of safe shots so you don't drain so easily. If you've read the rules, however, you'll aim for the doghouse and sewer more often, and until you're accustomed to the table, you will probably miss a lot and send the ball down the outlanes quickly.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Played three times so far - 19M, then 35M, then 86M and got my 1000. Way too easy, I wonder if this will be changed?

Good fun though. Way more fun than the real thing which I totally suck at always

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks for answering the questions guys.

The table references two Bally games, despite being a Williams. Oops, guess they forgot they were "two seperate companies" roose or, they just stopped caring.

One question that nobody answered yet : TPA on Spikes Collar. That was Farsights doing, right? And can that be changed in the operators menu?

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Thanks for answering the questions guys.

The table references two Bally games, despite being a Williams. Oops, guess they forgot they were "two seperate companies" roose or, they just stopped caring.

One question that nobody answered yet : TPA on Spikes Collar. That was Farsights doing, right? And can that be changed in the operators menu?

Yes, and I can't figure out how to do it. I can't find it in the op menu. I know you can because Gameroom Collectibles changed it to TNT in their gameplay video on youtube. If anyone can figure out how to do it let us know.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.