Getting the "O" rollover

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Any tips on getting that unlit consistently and safely?? I rely on luck as this seems to be the hardest inlane to get the ball to. That can be all I have left on ball 1 and drain all 3 before I unlight that.

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014
Consistently, no. Best way i've found is shootin the #1 target (if it's up), most of the time it come back at the angle of the right flipp, keep it up and nudge left on the contact. Other way is when u miss the left "loop" (the multiball starter) with a not enogh stong shoot, the ball tends to go almost STDM but nearer of the left flipp, a full slave will often push the ball on the right flip and inlane. Same possibility when it comes back from the special target, for this 2 cases u can even try to nudge a little bit to be sure to make the finest save possible (hope i'm clear ;) ). Anyway if i play this one for scoring, i play only for this freakin "O" at the beginning and restart the game if i fail. After that, key to the good game is to have this "O" again during the multiball, if u dont have it luckyly in the 1sts sceonds, take risks until u're back to one ball.

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014
Just made my 1st top 10 (and even top 5) ever on TPA on this table, so i can confirm my last post: key here is to have this "O" letter, if u do it, even if you lose your 1st ball quickly, continue the game, if u dont just re-start. There's a lot of occasions to catch it by a stong rebound on the left flip, a normal one on the right flip when it's up, etc... The more u play it, the more u feel when u can get it with a good nudge at the good moment. And when u begin multiball, again make this "O" ur priority (with keeping balls alive of course, but even sometimes if u got a risky chance to get it take ur chance), dont hesitate to flail aroud with the balls to have more chance to got this inlane, and even the other one, sometimes the "f" can also be a pain in the ass, even if u got to get only one of the F to enlight the 2 of them.

Anyway good to make that kind of score, i had no idea this score would be enough to be #5, probably if i had known i wouldnt made it with pressure, i even feel a bit impertinent to have beaten the great Erik, i already "respected" him too much on a couple of occasions on other tables ;p

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I found a railroad-physics method to get the O reliably. First get only the top two drop targets down with the bottom one still up. Shoot the blastoff lane so that one ball pops out to the top rollovers. DO NOT NUDGE OR FLIP. Let this ball follow its predestined railroad path. It will bounce off the wall where the missing drop targets were, then off the idle left flipper, then (scarily) off the center drain post (still DO NOT FLIP), then up the right inlane to the O.

To get the top two drop targets down, use the same method - shoot the blastoff lane and do not nudge and the ball will hit one of the top two drop targets.

This works for me consistently on the PC. Would like to hear if it works on other platforms.

And sorry fromduc, but I surpassed your score again, in fact taking #1 on the table. :rolleyes:

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014
Hehe, i got what i desserved here, dont be impertinent with the king ;p Anyway, i'm sure i had kind of psychological blocking, i hope i'm done with it. But after watching your gameplay on PC and have seen how the feuw u nudge compare to me on PS3, i got no illusion, u're far better than us, far better than yours already impressives scores. I'll try to got u a couple more times this winter, on summer i'll play less, i got other files.

And about the "O" line, brilliant methode, i got to try it, even if i'm not allowed to replay it until my friend Ben beat me here, which i hope will take a while ^^

Last edited:

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014
OK so after have tried it i can confirm u: it also works on PS3, except that we got to nudge left to go into the letter at the end, if not the ball is too short, but maybe it's the same on PC and u just didnt precised it. This is just a magic trick since it also give u right after the "o" for the next multiball with the 1st of the 3 multiball balls, so it's a damn game changer.

But now u got to tell me: how the hell did u find this trick? Any other answer than "by pure luck" would instantly turn me crazy, and even the fact that u've been able to notice that if it was by luck is already chocking me ^^

AntonR

Mar 13, 2014
OK so after have tried it i can confirm u: it also works on PS3, except that we got to nudge left to go into the letter at the end, if not the ball is too short, but maybe it's the same on PC and u just didnt precised it.
It works without any nudging on PC.

Edit: Doesn't work on my Android phone.

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
It's luck that the method happens to hit the hardest target on the Flight 2000 table, but it's not luck that I found it. I do this sort of thing analytically on most TPA tables. For every eject, try all combinations of holding or not-holding flippers that the ejected ball will contact and see if you can find some outcome that is helpful and guaranteed. This lets me find things like on Ripley's holding the upper flipper for a perfect catch after the continent scoop kickout, or on TZ holding the upper flipper to feed the left inlane after a lock eject.

I just had never thought to try eject manipulation on Flight 2000 before. And I tried many combinations of drop targets and held flippers before finding that particular magical one. The best way to find one thing that succeeds is to try many things that don't. Every railroad that works comes from trying many that didn't.

AntonR, thanks for the Android testing. How exactly does it not work? Where does it go wrong, where does the ball deviate from the path we see on PC?

AntonR

Mar 13, 2014
AntonR, thanks for the Android testing. How exactly does it not work? Where does it go wrong, where does the ball deviate from the path we see on PC?
The path looks pretty much the same, but when the ball hits the base of the left flipper it just bounces over to the right flipper instead of going towards the center post.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Can confirm this works on iOS too, nice find Viking! I had some succes with shooting the left post of the drop target lane from the left flipper with a ricochet in the "O"-lane (keep that right flipper up to prevent a quick drain!) but I can't reproduce it dependently and misses get wild quickly. Also hitting the 1 target from the right flipper can return it on a cradled right flipper with a roll through the "O" but this is also quite difficult to reproduce.

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
I found another method that seems to be fairly reproducible. It's very similar to what a few people have already mentioned. Here's how I do it:

1. Make sure the 1 drop target is up.
2. Trap the ball on the left flipper.
3. Perform a post-pass to the right flipper.
4. Without trapping the ball, shoot for the 1 drop target.
5. Keep holding the right flipper and the ball should deflect off the 1 drop target with enough momentum to roll up the inlane and hit the "O" rollover.

I've managed to pull this off a number of times (and even took a couple videos of it). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to pull off from a trap on the right flipper. It does seem to be possible if the ball is coming down one of the right inlanes. This method definitely works on the PC version. I haven't tried it on any other platform.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.