First impressions

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
Best (modern) Gottlieb so far, but that doesn't really say too much in my book... I liked it though and was pleasantly surprised, there were a few fun things to do. But I quickly (5-6 games) cleared pretty much everything there was on the table so the longevity of it is poor I think. Why didn't Gottlieb make a "Movie action multiball" or something like that after doing all different scenes? Something that the table can build up to.

High scores were all zero for me with no initials. PHOF-points won't register at all. But I understand this must be really tricky to catch during development or testing, FS...

I really dislike having a random feature as a Wizard goal. It doesn't really require any skill to get 4-of-a-kind, rather just shooting it over and over until you luck out. I made it after 10-12 games but still...

So, my final impression is: Fun table, too easy, how could FS have missed out on the hi-score/phof bugs?!...

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
What do you mean by "too easy"? If it is about wizard goals, then yes. But what I like about LCA is that it's quite difficult to play and to achive decent score. Mystery million is the only thing that shouldn't be there. Loop the million is OK, it's a difficult skill shot, at least for me. Also, going for jackpot is deadly, SDTM is almost sure, kickback from the left outline sometimes kick the ball directly to the right outline.
I like it. Better then I expected. And better than I remember it from some 20+ years ago. So far I'm at ~11M and it will be tough to reach even 500 HOF points.

oqvist

Nov 23, 2013
To easy sometimes I feel some people just try to brag about their insane pinball wizard skills. This is the hardest table of the relatively modern tables out there. I don´t believe I played for more then 10 minutes on one game yet lol. Maybe you can grind the poker hand shot but my random shoot everything play style don´t fit it ;)

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
About a year ago, when I first joined the forums, I noted that I thought this table and Wipeout were extremely underrated and needed to be recreated in the game. And now they have.

Surprisingly enough the theme is surprisingly well-done for a Premier. There might be some things I don't get (why is a stair footchase collecting cards?) but besides those minor complaints I am enjoying this table. So far my high score is 5m - those loop millions are impossible to get enough of!

Also the right outlane is terribly hungry. Please fix it!

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I believe that if you have gotten everything you can reach within 10-12 games, it is too easy or at least too easy to "conquer". This goes well along with being too shallow in its rulesets, and to some extent with Wizard Goals. For example, Cueball Wizard has its 1/2 billion shot that is really quite tricky and makes you come back for more, even though it's quite easy to keep the ball alive... MM is a quite easy table to play but very difficult to conquer. Champion Pub is both difficult to play and to conquer.

But I agree with you that "too easy" is not the best definition of it. I just find it boring that there is nothing more to go for after playing for 1-2 hours. No "build ups", no final mode or anything like that.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
The ability to achieve the goals easily is not an indication that the table is too easy, but that FarSight created goals too easily achieved, or the ruleset is too shallow. How I judge the difficulty of a table is that if I can play a round for 30 minutes, then the table is easy. 60 minutes...too easy.

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
what`s with all the goals that define a table ? when I started playing back in 1960`s, my group of mates only had 2 things on our minds 1. get free games and the most important 2. who had the highest score for bragging rights !!! :eek: I think this table is 1 of the best ,a bit hard and tricky,but most important it`s all fun. one word for this table FANBLOODYTASTIC !!!! :cool:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Easy? This table is BRUTAL. nothing that feeds the flippers at all, and there's no safe way to handle any kickouts. Even holding the left flipper up after the spinner shot sometimes fails. house balls can happen pretty easily if you are unlucky. and those scenes are HARD to finish.

The red target seems artificially difficult to hit, and the loop million is a pain and it kicks the ball right at the slingshot!

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
there's no safe way to handle any kickouts.
there is, not 100% but it will do.
Even holding the left flipper up after the spinner shot sometimes fails.!
you are holding it wrong. :D Leave the left flipper down and let the ball bounce to the right one, very easy catch.

The million spin kickout is another story. But finally a kickout that isn't so predictable.

Last edited:

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
After initially playing the table I didn't really care for it. I like the theme but it seems like a mishmash of ideas on the table. Where does the poker thing come in to play in an action movie? Seems out of place. Same with the jackpot and multiball "scenes". I get the last two need to be in there but they're not integrated well in to the game. Could have had a "car chase" scene for multiball mode and "robbery" scene for jackpot. Just something less generic to keep with the theme of the table.

So the table being awkward is a bit of a turn off.

But then I started playing the table more and I actually started enjoying it. It is pretty challenging. That million shot on the right is not easy to hit. And the time they give you to complete each of the modes is razor thin. I think you have like 8 seconds to complete the Jackpot mode which is a bit of a nail biter if you don't get control right away. And you get like 18 seconds for the Staircase one, where you have to hit 5 specific shots, three of which are behind drop targets (e.g. 8 shots to make in 18 seconds). So when you actually complete a mode in the given time it feels like an accomplishment. On top of that there's also quite a few shots that can easily put the ball out of your control or darting towards an outlane. So maintaining control makes the game challenging.

It won't be my favorite table but its not the stinker I initially thought it was.

I also get pretty creeped out each time I notice the women on the lower left part of the table. Gravity has not been kind to her.

Paul Petrissans

Jan 4, 2013
Easy? This table is BRUTAL. nothing that feeds the flippers at all, and there's no safe way to handle any kickouts. Even holding the left flipper up after the spinner shot sometimes fails. house balls can happen pretty easily if you are unlucky. and those scenes are HARD to finish.

The red target seems artificially difficult to hit, and the loop million is a pain and it kicks the ball right at the slingshot!

Left flipper up after the spinner with a nudge almost always trap and you can dead pass to right flipper after spinner most of the time too.

Paul Petrissans

Jan 4, 2013
It seems like there is no way to track progress on Blockbuster but there should be? When holding flipper for table info, there is a blockbuster on the display, but doesn't show what letters have been collected.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
there is, not 100% but it will do.

you are holding it wrong. :D Leave the left flipper down and let the ball bounce to the right one, very easy catch.

Not a guaranteed catch either, it works maybe 75 to 90% of the time. sometimes it doesn't bounce onto the right flipper at all and sometimes it trickes off th eedge when you try to trap, and SOMETIMES you cant' reach it with the other flipper.

Finally a table with realistic kickouts. and you know what? it's tough. :) I'd say the kickouts are true to life in this game.

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I'm glad FarSight did LCA. I don't see them often and it's very underated. I like the homage to the 60's Gottlieb's with its mechanical backglass along with the two ball launchers that throw the ball over the plastics. Thanks FarSight for doing this one.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
This table brings back a lot of memories for me, since I've played this table at the local arcade a lot back in the day. Too bad that they couldn't capture the flood lights. Those two lights really made the table pop.

About a year ago, when I first joined the forums, I noted that I thought this table and Wipeout were extremely underrated and needed to be recreated in the game. And now they have.
I would really love to see Wipe Out in TPA. That was a really fun table.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
The table feels really cramped and tiny somehow, and those sharp-angled Gottlieb flippers always throw me off.

But man, the music is AWESOME. Miles ahead of the audio torture of Cue Ball Wizard or Tee´d Off, this one is really funky. I also love the blue plastic look somehow. Definitely one of the better Gottlieb tables presentation-wise.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
The table feels really cramped and tiny somehow, and those sharp-angled Gottlieb flippers always throw me off.

But man, the music is AWESOME. Miles ahead of the audio torture of Cue Ball Wizard or Tee´d Off, this one is really funky. I also love the blue plastic look somehow. Definitely one of the better Gottlieb tables presentation-wise.

Agreed. The 80's styling of the characters is hilarious. :D

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
This table brings back a lot of memories for me, since I've played this table at the local arcade a lot back in the day. Too bad that they couldn't capture the flood lights. Those two lights really made the table pop.

They actually did capture the floodlights. They just don't exist on your version of TPA.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.