First impressions

PitchBlank

May 10, 2014
As the OP said, it may be the best modern Gottlieb table but that's not saying much. Visually it's a mess that hurts the eyes, they threw in everything and the kitchen sink. The "ready, set, go" thing is the worst, most disruptive buzzkill yet, perhaps only rivaled by the "Save the girl" video mode on Junk Yard (I cringe every time I launch that by accident).

I hope they'll spare us from more of the modern Gottlieb tables. Gottlieb ruled the business once upon a time... and Black Hole was a fine, innovative table... but those Premier-Gottlieb games (LCA, TO, CBW, 1812) are to Bally/Williams games what straight-to-video 'mockbusters' by The Asylum are to the major studio titles they capitalize on.

The flippers are wonky, the themes are lame, the sound effects are lame. PBA has done a good job of capturing the cheap, crappy feel of those Premier tables, even in digital form you can sense how rickety they were. It was OK back when we got two tables in each pack, but after FS discovered that they could charge full pack price for a single table with T2 and TZ, they started doing that with Gottlieb and Stern as well. LC...A is the last pack I'll ever buy with just a single Premier table in it, I'm not falling for that again. And I have bought every pack since the start.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
The game is just as boring and nonsensical as it is in real life. I think the table looks even worse in video game form, due to the art being so busy. It's hard to make out where to shoot the ball.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
I'm pretty sure that this table is in better half. And I'm pretty sure that El Dorado isn't that bad either. It is fugly for sure, but once when you get to nail those drop targets it is OK. And I did hate that one at the begining.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I'm pretty sure that this table is in better half. And I'm pretty sure that El Dorado isn't that bad either. It is fugly for sure, but once when you get to nail those drop targets it is OK. And I did hate that one at the begining.

If you ask most fans, "El Dorado" is probably rated the worst. ("Goin Nuts" being a close 2nd)

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
CBW really grates on my nerves. It's like the game goes out of its way to be a miserable pinball experience.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I personally like LCA, but then again it was part of my childhood of playing real pinball machines.

Yeah, I just don't like a single thing about this table. I will give it credit, though, there's a lot of neat "firsts' on here.

However, they may as well have called this table "Ready, Set, DRAW!"

Ugh.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
I personally like LCA, but then again it was part of my childhood of playing real pinball machines.

Everybody seems to hate this table but so far (PS3 user) I kinda like it.
Not the best table for sure but I like the messy playfield and the speed of the table.
I was expected the worst table of TPA and... to me it's a good pin. Not the best but far from the worst. I like the flow of it.
And I know it's a matter of taste but I love the music.

Last edited:

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
Not the best table for sure but I like the messy playfield and the speed of the table.
I was expected the worst table of TPA and... to me it's a good pin. Not the best but far from the worst. I like the flow of it.

I had to force myself to play it at first, but once Farsight did their usual patch a month later it actually became playable. What I really like about it, is it has several shots like the left red collect countdown target you just can't hit without drainng. Also the table forces you to learn nudging. I don't play it a lot but it's a good change of pace game and I agree the music is rad.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Yeah, it has its charm. For me, since I played this machine in real life. I really like the flood lights and animatronics in the backglass. They give off a really neat effect when you are in the arcade. And yes, the music (especially the multi-ball track) is really catchy.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
El Dorado is not bad, just dull. The drop targets are a fine core of a game. There's just nothing else to do after you hit them for each EB.

Goin Nuts is also not bad, just dull. The timer is an interesting alternative spin on pinball. There's just nothing to do but hit the same drop targets over and over again.

LCA and CBW (and Teed Off) have more to do but actively annoy the player along the way with overly repetitive stuff. Some folks can't stand that, some ignore the annoyance and focus on the pinballing.

Silverball67

Jan 1, 2015
LCA is just an ordinary Gottlieb table (quit childish, repetitive and getting boring soon). Not to mention the repetitive silly "Ready, Set, DRAW!"-feature. The only aspect wich is positive is the music and in some way the flow of the gameplay.

In fact I´m sorry to say, that there is not a single table by Gottlieb since late 70s i appreciate. Haunted house and Black hole as post 70s are just average, o.k..
Gottlieb had it´s great time in the 60s and 70s (Sing along, Abra Ca Dabra, Buckaroo, Big Shot, Genie), where the company delivered some superior EM-pinball tables of that time. But with the beginning of the 80s, they were far behind of Bally, Stern and Williams in many ways. Simply not competitive i.m.o.

Last edited:

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
LCA is just an ordinary Gottlieb table (quit childish, repetitive and getting boring soon). Not to mention the repetitive silly "Ready, Set, DRAW!"-feature. The only aspect wich is positive is the music and in some way the flow of the gameplay.

In fact I´m sorry to say, that there is not a single table by Gottlieb since late 70s i appreciate. Haunted house and Black hole as post 70s are just average, o.k..
Gottlieb had it´s great time in the 60s and 70s (Sing along, Abra Ca Dabra, Buckaroo, Big Shot, Genie), where the company delivered some superior EM-pinball tables of that time. But with the beginning of the 80s, they were far behind of Bally, Stern and Williams in many ways. Simply not competitive i.m.o.

I agree about basically most of the tables starting from 1980 on blow monkeys but there are a few exceptions. Devils dare, nightmare on elm st, and bone (something). I believe those were All made after 1980 but I may be wrong. As far as LCA goes. I kinda like it. When it first came out it was basically unplayable but after the patch came out I found it kind of fun. I play it once in a while. I can't stand the ready set draw thing and when people say they like the flow....I'm not so sure there is much flow bc basically there are really on,y two shots worth making. The million point shot and the one above it to draw a card. Of course that's just my humble opinion. I respect everyone else's too.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
The problem I have is the table is so mediocre and with all the other tables available, I find it hard to even care about playing this table. What is the point of the drawing a gun anyway. It is easier that making the auto skill shot in Starship Trooper.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.