Classic Pinball Conventions You're Glad to See Go

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Everyone talks about how great past eras of pinball were, and how we sorely miss some things (such as unlicensed tables), but there are some things put on the scrap heap that should stay there. What are some of yours? Mine include:

5. Time drop target banks - this doesn't increase excitement, it creates frustration - knocking down two targets of a tough to reach 3-bank and your ball gets stuck in the bumpers, and you helplessly stand by and watch the time run out. Fortunately, I don't see these often anymore. JY in 1996 is the latest one I can think of (CC doesn't count).

4. Flipperless drains - Usually the culprit of tables that have terribly hungry outlanes (PB, STTNG) or features such as bumpers near the outlane (TZ, TAF). Nothing is worse than watching the ball go down the tubes without you getting a chance to do anything with it. Ball savers help this somewhat on modern pins, and a trend towards staying away from overly-frustrating layouts, such as when the Pin*Bot playfield was recycled for Jack*Bot, they changed some of the measurements to make it less frustrating (though John Borg with his Tron Legacy and Iron Man tables seem determined to bring this back. Even champion player Bowen on the PAPA site had to play Iron Man three times before he could get anything going).

3. Lit Extra Balls that shut off after you drain - must I explain why this sucks?

2. No ball saver during multiball - I feel so terribly stupid when TAF or TZ pumps you up with their miltiball start theatrics, then the balls are shot into play, and two (or three) bounce off the flippers and go down the drain. At least those two give you a second chance - earlier games it was screw you!

1. No ball saver! - Out of all the conventions, I hate this the most. Stern tried to make a comeback with it, but feedback must have been bad, because it's back, though great tables like TSPP and RBION are now and forever more frustrating than they need to be. Now JJ is trying it on their WOZ table (at least the last build I played). Hopefully they just turned it off for expos to keep the line moving.

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Gottlieb Decagon Score Units. Sorry, just spent MANY hours disassembling, cleaning and re assembling a four player game.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Using a snooker cue instead of a plunger. I know this is controversial, but I for one am happy to see this go.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
For the record, I believe you can access the ball saver settings for TSPP. The stock setting is off.

I know how painful that setting is. It knocked me out in round two of my IFPA Pinball Tournament. Plunge down the middle, and I was too far behind after that.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
For the record, I believe you can access the ball saver settings for TSPP. The stock setting is off.

I know how painful that setting is. It knocked me out in round two of my IFPA Pinball Tournament. Plunge down the middle, and I was too far behind after that.

I once watched my friend plunge straight into the right outlane on that table. I told him to play it safe, pull a weak plunge...

Though the fact that the ball can go from the right outlane back into the plunger is a lifesaver in many situations.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
How about the Gottlieb EM's without end of ball bonus, where if you tilted - your game was over ie:

Kinpin
El Dorado (original)
Top Card
Sky Jump
Drop-A-Card

IRL these games are boring to today's pinballers, but I'd think the could be fun to add to TPA.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
How about the Gottlieb EM's without end of ball bonus, where if you tilted - your game was over ie:

Kinpin
El Dorado (original)
Top Card
Sky Jump
Drop-A-Card

IRL these games are boring to today's pinballers, but I'd think the could be fun to add to TPA.

Hey! I just bought a "dead" Top Card to fix and play. It's pretty fast for an EM.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
without an autoplunger, multiball ball savers are impossible. And honestly, it was never that much of a problem. multiballs tended to give you a decent feed to get something going with.

I agree with extra balls that don't stay lit. those SUCK. and house balls suck too, and were a big problem on older games.

games that give the ball to the flipper every time off the plunge need no ball saver,

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.