DualShock 4 on PS3 with TPA - Better than DualShock 3?

maezun

Jul 21, 2013
I've just ordered a DualShock 4 for playing TPA on my PS3 as (following the recent patch) they now work wirelessly. I don't own a PS4 but I wanted to see if the digital shoulder buttons would make a difference when playing the game.

I'm getting pretty sick of using my DualShock 3 with TPA because the shoulder buttons are analogue and are slow to respond, not exactly ideal when you're playing a game that requires fast reactions.

I've actually used an Xbox 360 controller (with adaptor) to play TPA on my PS3 and the difference in response time (360 bumpers vs. L1 & R1 on DualShock3) is massive as the bumpers are digital. I wouldn't want to replace my DS3 with a 360 controller though as I much prefer the feel of a DualShock.

Has anyone tried a DualShock 4 with the PS3 version of TPA? Is the PS4 version of TPA a lot better when using a DualShock 4? (Compared to using a DualShock 3 on PS3)

Last edited:

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
I'm getting pretty sick of using my DualShock 3 with TPA because the shoulder buttons are analogue and are slow to respond, not exactly ideal when you're playing a game that requires fast reactions.
The simple fix is to change the flippers from L1/R1 to L2/R2. The L2 and R2 buttons on the DualShock 3 are not analog like the L1 and R1 buttons.

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
L2/R2 are analog on the ds3. They're full length triggers like the 360. L1/R1 are pressure sensitive digital buttons same as the ps2.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
The simple fix is to change the flippers from L1/R1 to L2/R2. The L2 and R2 buttons on the DualShock 3 are not analog like the L1 and R1 buttons.

Is it not the other way around? L2 and R2 are spongey and imprecise for pinball. L1 and R1 have always suited me fine.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Is it not the other way around? L2 and R2 are spongey and imprecise for pinball. L1 and R1 have always suited me fine.

Same here. And L1/R1 are analog too. On Champion Pub, during the rope training, if you press lightly L1 or R1, the ball won't jump. But if you press the buttons strongly, the ball will jump (I understood this seeing that I couldn't barely reach 10 jumps because the ball didn't jump (I just tapped L1)! Pressing harder the button, I reach now in a consistent way about 25 jumps).

maezun

Jul 21, 2013
Its the same when you've got "Dual Flipper Control" enabled (when you control the upper flippers independently). Press L1 or R1 lightly (on Funhouse for example) and only the top flipper will move.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012

When I play Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball 2 with the L2 and R2, the touch sensitive gets disengaged. In other words, both lower and upper flippers go up with just a light touch.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Yeah, L1 and R1 are technically analogue, but they can't be pressed very far down, so I just use a full press each time and rarely notice any analogue feedback. L2 and R2 go down quite a bit, so I have trouble with using flippers precisely with those buttons.

I got the Pro Pinball collection on Dreamcast, and the spongey shoulder buttons completely kill it for me. So hard to be precise.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.