Request Request: please allow the Fire TV version of TPA to work with the Blutooth remote.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I just bought an Amazon Fire TV and was both surprised and disappointed to see that you can not play Pinball Arcade with the included Fire TV Bluetooth remote. I would say maybe 5%-10% of owners are likely to shell out another $40 on a compatible controller for a $99 box.

Zen Pinball includes an option to use the Amazon Fire TV remote and it actually works pretty well.
Their default mapping is the controller LEFT/RIGHT to control the flippers. The D-pad was designed so you can hold down both directions simultaneously so this works out great. You can nudge the table, change the camera angle, and pause the game. It's not the perfect controller, but it's INCLUDED WITH EVERY FIRE TV increasing Farsight's possible customer base by a lot!

I would like to suggest you also include an option to hold the remote like a Wii Remote so UP on the D-Pad would become the LEFT flipper and the play/pause button could be mapped to the RIGHT flipper. D-Pad press in could be either camera or nudge. And you have couple other buttons to as well. Support for the default remote can and should be added IMO.

Thanks guys.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Spoonman...you know we will..I'll kick the programmer tomorrow haha. Its a great suggestions for our programmers. I'lll forward ithis first this to him first thing tomorrow.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Spoonman...you know we will..I'll kick the programmer tomorrow haha. Its a great suggestions for our programmers. I'lll forward ithis first this to him first thing tomorrow.

Oh hey Flippy, I should have had more faith in you. ;)

I'm always happy to try and help you guys out. I own TPA on too many platforms (PS3, PS4, Vita, Kindle Fire, iOS, PC, Fire TV) I am losing track of which tables I own for which platforms.

I'm very happy with the Fire TV. It's a pretty powerful little device. I mostly bought it to sideload XBMC on it, but I'm happy with the level of quality of games on it. They look a great deal nicer, and run way smoother than my Kindle Fire HD.

Thanks again.

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
Hey Spoonman!

Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner! Unfortunately, I'm caught up in some other stuff right now, but once I have some time I will DEFINITELY look into getting the remote to work like the controller. I'll keep you in the loop :)

Thanks again!

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
I'm curious if any progress has been made here? I'm also curious if TPA will be compatible with the newly announced Fire TV Stick?

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
Support for the remote is still in development, however, Pinball Arcade and Ghostbusters will both work for the FireTV stick

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Support for the remote is still in development, however, Pinball Arcade and Ghostbusters will both work for the FireTV stick

It's been nearly 2 more months so I figured I'd check in. Any progress on letting us use the default Fire TV / Fire TV Stick remotes?

I really think you guys have a chance here to sell quite a few copies of TPA to people.
The Fire TV Stick has sold out of every store over the holidays and there really aren't a lot of great games available which allow you to use the included remote.

Also, as I mentioned above... there should be an option to hold the remote like a Wii Remote. This would make it a much better and more natural method than most other games. In fact, the only other game I've played that uses this is Table Top Racing, and it was programmed by the creator of the Wipeout series on PlayStation so you know it's the best method. :)

I would like to suggest you also include an option to hold the remote like a Wii Remote so UP on the D-Pad would become the LEFT flipper and the play/pause button could be mapped to the RIGHT flipper. D-Pad press in could be either camera or nudge. And you have couple other buttons to as well. Support for the default remote can and should be added IMO.

Hope to hear back soon.

Have a Happy New Year!

PS: if you need any help beta testing a build with new control schemes i currently own 2 Fire TV Sticks, and a Fire TV. I know how to side load APK files and access hidden files on the dir structure. I'd be happy to test anything you have. :)

Last edited:

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
It's been nearly 2 more months so I figured I'd check in. Any progress on letting us use the default Fire TV / Fire TV Stick remotes?

I really think you guys have a chance here to sell quite a few copies of TPA to people.
The Fire TV Stick has sold out of every store over the holidays and there really aren't a lot of great games available which allow you to use the included remote.

I'm curious as well. I also agree that there aren't a lot of games compatible with the standard Fire TV/Stick remote. I don't think most people who spent $20-40 on a Fire TV Stick are going to spend another $50 just for the game controller. Zen Pinball is one of the few games that is compatible with the standard remote and it works fairly well (though it would have been nice if they allowed remapping of the buttons).

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
I hate to be giving the same excuse over and over, but there are a few more pressing issues that need to be dealt with before being able to work on this. Also, we want to allow plenty of time to work on the Addams family pinball table so that it can be one of our best tables.

Being realistic, i'd say I could start working on it in late February.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I'm curious as well. I also agree that there aren't a lot of games compatible with the standard Fire TV/Stick remote. I don't think most people who spent $20-40 on a Fire TV Stick are going to spend another $50 just for the game controller. Zen Pinball is one of the few games that is compatible with the standard remote and it works fairly well (though it would have been nice if they allowed remapping of the buttons).

Is the Fire Controller proprietary for the Stick/TV?

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Is the Fire Controller proprietary for the Stick/TV?

Which Fire controller? There's the remote that comes with it (also the similar voice-enabled version for the regular Fire TV) and the optional Fire Game Controller. I suspect they're all Bluetooth devices, though they're only really intended to work with the Fire TV/Stick.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Which Fire controller? There's the remote that comes with it (also the similar voice-enabled version for the regular Fire TV) and the optional Fire Game Controller. I suspect they're all Bluetooth devices, though they're only really intended to work with the Fire TV/Stick.

Game controller. Is it the only one that is compatible with the Stick or TV?

Members online

Members online