Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Rose Gameroom Show (York PA)

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White Rose Gameroom Show (York PA)

http://www.theyorkshow.com/index.html

I thought I'd start a thread just in case anyone else is planning to attend.

At the moment it looks like I'll be there both days. Depending on other family commitments, Saturday may be up in the air a bit, but I've taken Friday off work.
    "You've got an arm like a wet rag!" - The Dummy, Hurricane (Williams, 1991)
    "Ace of Clubs?!" - Bride of Pin*Bot, Jack*Bot (Williams, 1995)
    "You have been terminated. Have a nice day!" - Candy 2000, Safe Cracker (Williams, 1996)

Wizard Goals remaining: Safe Cracker 26 [Unique] Tokens (19/26 collected); F-14 250K Launch Bonus; Frankie 150M Creature Jackpot, Complete CREATURE

My Devices
    iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on taking off work Friday and going as well.

My Devices
    PS4 Pro, iPad Mini 4, iPhone SE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friday at 10ish. Baby needs a Centaur!!!

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtown8532 View Post
    Or a Hurricane, Paragon, White Water, really any of the TPA tables I've never played IRL....
    "You have been terminated. Have a nice day!" - Candy 2000, Safe Cracker (Williams, 1996)

Wizard Goals remaining: Safe Cracker 26 [Unique] Tokens (19/26 collected); F-14 250K Launch Bonus; Frankie 150M Creature Jackpot, Complete CREATURE

My Devices
    IOS/ PC
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we there yet

My Devices
    iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtown8532 View Post
    There was one there for about ten minutes last year. The guy set it up and before I could even play it, it was sold and on its way out the door.

My Devices
    iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about a week away. I will be there Friday for sure. My wife and a friend from work are going too. Hope there is a good mix of pins and the weather has to be better than last year.

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about to bump this myself. Friday I will be there on my own. Saturday, I may have my daughter in tow. She'll be the one who does one of the following:
    a) Thinks the whole thing is amazing, and just wants to play everything;
    b) Gets bored after 10 minutes and complains her feet hurt and she's hungry.

I'm betting on b).

My Devices
    PS3, PC, Android,PS4 Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might not be able to get off work this year for the show, might have to wait again till Pinfest 2015 in Allentown.
    Would like to go seeing my daughter is off school that day and she loves pinball.

My Devices
    iPad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy S7, XBOX 360
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ack, I'll be in Delaware on vacation. That said, it's about the same distance to York as if I would be coming from home in NJ, so it's a (very) distant thought.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolchak357 View Post
    Just about a week away. I will be there Friday for sure. My wife and a friend from work are going too. Hope there is a good mix of pins and the weather has to be better than last year.
    I wasn't there last year but I think it rained on Friday. Rain can be good for deals but you have to be prepared to get it home unscathed. Weather looks good so far. After playing the TPA version a lot, I'd be in the market for a project BSD. Nonetheless, I always keep my options open and am just looking for a fun game for a good price. Oh, and I got a parts list too to scour the flea market with.

My Devices
    iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got word that there will be a WOZ there and also Stern's The Walking Dead.

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got word that there will be a WOZ there and also Stern's The Walking Dead.
    +1. I'd like there to be a POTO for obvious reasons.

My Devices
    Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 (10.1) / PS3
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EldarOfSuburbia View Post
    I was about to bump this myself. Friday I will be there on my own. Saturday, I may have my daughter in tow. She'll be the one who does one of the following:
    a) Thinks the whole thing is amazing, and just wants to play everything;
    b) Gets bored after 10 minutes and complains her feet hurt and she's hungry.

I'm betting on b).
    http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&...76802529,d.d2s (I've got a daughter too)
    Last edited by Dedpop; 10-02-2014 at 07:07 PM.

My Devices
    PS3, PC, Android,PS4 Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I may have off Friday after all and my daughter will be very pleased hearing that.

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's tomorrow! Doesn't time fly? I'll likely be showing up sometime between 10 and 11 on Friday. Look out for a large (wide but not that tall...) gentleman in a Guns N Roses T-shirt.

My Devices
    PC, Nook HD+, Kindle Fire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went today (Friday). This was probably the first time I've played a real pinball table in almost two decades and the most time of spent playing pinball during my lifetime. It was quite fun and interesting. I was impressed to see how close TPA plays to the real machines. In some cases TPA plays better because virtual machines don't wear out. It was kinda sad to play the lone ST:TNG table. It was all by itself and in bad shape. The upper flipper was stuck up, making it impossible to hit the right orbit. I still managed to get half a billion in one game. Of course that's nothing compared to my 29 billion in TPA. I really wish I had the money to buy that table and restore it to it's former glory. If I could own one table, that would be it.

There were a number of other TPA tables there as well. There was a really nice Victory, that just felt awesome (and I don't particularly care for this table in TPA). I enjoyed playing Genie, much like I do in TPA. There was a Flight 2000 but it felt like the flippers were a bit weak. I could not get close to hitting the ball into the lock. There was a very nice T2 table that played quite well. I think it had a surprisingly low selling price (of course I don't know what these tables are worth). I think Harley Davidson was there but I had no interest in playing it. Black Rose, High Speed, and Scared Stiff were all there but I didn't get around to playing them (I'm allergic to lines). Sadly, Haunted House and Cirqus Voltaire were there but never operational.

I also got to try those virtual pincabs. They are pretty nice. If I had that kind of money to spend on entertainment I'd probably get one. For a moment I thought one of them was running TPA because I saw Whirlwind but, as soon as I plunged the ball, I realized it was not TPA but probably something like Visual Pinball.

Overall, it was really neat to go to. One thing that made me really happy was seeing that there are still plenty of interesting tables not yet in TPA.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went today and am glad to see the White Rose Gameroom Show losing the "gameroom" aspect and becoming more of a pinball show. Decent group of games to play in the free play area. Lot of EM's. I'm more there for the swap meet side of things. Honestly, I was there for two and an half hours before I even played a game because I was busy shopping for parts and a game. Picked up some parts but the big buys were a really nice original backglass for my Top Card (mine is a mess) for $175.00 and I bought a Getaway for $1750.00. Working with some LED's installed. Got it as the guy was unloading it for the free play area. If I would have waited until it was set up I would have had to wait till 4 and also pay a $35.00 removal fee because they like to keep games in the free play area. The game's in nice shape but I'm gonna give it a full shop job before setting it up.

Also, Walking Dead was ok. Doesn't hold a card to AC/DC, Metallica or Star Trek though.

My Devices
    iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shout out to Eldar. It was a pleasure meeting you today at the York show.

As for the show...well I had a great time as I always do at these pin shows. A full range of pins there to today. Everything from flipperless all the way up to The Walking Dead. A very good turn out. Maybe a little too good as I had wait in line to play many pins. Seemed like a lot of Sega and Data East pins this year.

Highlight of the show was the evil laugh my wife let out when she tripled my score on Twister. In my defense, I did tilt ball two because of a stuck ball. But yep, she cleaned my clock.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention this. I'm standing in line to play Robocop and guess who is playing in front of me? None other than Chris Bucci, the guy that makes those great YouTube vids about his pinball collection. He was kind enough to speak with me for a few minutes. What a nice guy.
    Last edited by Kolchak357; 10-10-2014 at 07:02 PM.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highlight of the show was the evil laugh my wife let out when she tripled my score on Twister. In my defense, I did tilt ball two because of a stuck ball. But yep, she cleaned my clock.
    We sympathize.

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A brief synopsis of my visit - both days.

Friday:
    - Played Walking Dead, enjoyed it, I posted a bit more detail (but not much, really) in the Walking Dead thread.
    - Played some WOZ, also my first time, it's good but as has been said by many of game design, often, "Less is More". Boy is that a busy table. A lot of nice features but maybe if they'd decided to drop a couple an concentrate a bit more on some of the others, it'd be even better. Hopefully lessons learned for The Hobbit. The Hobbit has the potential to get Jersey Jack properly noticed - WOZ is a good collectors' table, a fine, solid, debut, but The Hobbit is a mainstream, current license and the table that might make it into movie theaters, though their asking price ($8k) is going to make distributors balk a bit.
    - Played Jurassic Park for the first time in nearly 20 years. CHAOS!!
    - Came to the conclusion that I need more F-14 Tomcat in my life, one way or another. It's moved high up on my "if I ever buy a table..." list.
    - Played Silverball Mania and X's And O's and realized those are two more tables I'd played in the early 80s and completely forgotten about.
    - Bemoaned the lack of AC/DC, Metallica, Stern Star Trek, and TSPP. There were two Family Guys, but they were constantly occupied and I wasn't that inclined to wait.
    - Wondered why owners of tables, particularly late 70s-early 80s SS table, just don't take care of them. In particular, there was a Flight 2000 with flippers so weak even a well-hit ball only made it halfway up the lock lane. Major fail. Really though, missing lamps all over, flippers mostly weak and/or ineffectual - c'mon, this is basic maintenance stuff, you'd have a better chance at selling your table if you invested a couple hundred bucks and a few hours getting it back in shape.

Saturday:
    - Had my daughter with me. She displayed all of the flail-and-hope technique that a 7-year-old pinball novice can muster. But more on that later.
    - She really liked Super Mario Mushroom World, though I observed it was being very unfair with some of its pipe kickouts.
    - We played WOZ together, she managed to get the "There's No Place Like Home" save started, and the table proceeded to have the ball kick STDM from the auto-plunge. I've still not seen anyone make the Save Toto save. I made one shot, bricked the second.
    - There was a very nice BK2K, I think the same one that was at Allentown, it has a drink holder on one of the legs :-) Shame it was set up with a definite right-to-left slope, either that or the right flipper mechanics were off. Balls up the left ramp to the upper playfield barely made it at best. Upper right flipper, balls never fed cleanly to it, meaning the orbit was almost impossible to hit; I never managed it once. Why spend so much time making a table look and sound beautiful - it had a sub-woofer hooked it, it sounded AWESOME - and not get it leveled correctly? Asking price was $5k. Yeah, I would've.
    - Congrats to my daughter for competing in the Kids' Tournament (on Mr & Ms Pac-Man). She did okay. Everyone got a miniature gold plastic trophy!
    - ...and finally:

I lost. It turns out her weak plunging is just about damned perfect for Tommy's skill shot, and she got a lucky ricochet into the mirror on ball 3 to start multi-ball. I totally bricked my game.
    Last edited by EldarOfSuburbia; 10-11-2014 at 04:56 PM.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun to read you.
    And congrats to your daughter on Tommy.
    (Shame on you )

My Devices
    PC, Nook HD+, Kindle Fire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EldarOfSuburbia View Post
    - Wondered why owners of tables, particularly late 70s-early 80s SS table, just don't take care of them. In particular, there was a Flight 2000 with flippers so weak even a well-hit ball only made it halfway up the lock lane. Major fail. Really though, missing lamps all over, flippers mostly weak and/or ineffectual - c'mon, this is basic maintenance stuff, you'd have a better chance at selling your table if you invested a couple hundred bucks and a few hours getting it back in shape.

- There was a very nice BK2K, I think the same one that was at Allentown, it has a drink holder on one of the legs :-) Shame it was set up with a definite right-to-left slope, either that or the right flipper mechanics were off. Balls up the left ramp to the upper playfield barely made it at best. Upper right flipper, balls never fed cleanly to it, meaning the orbit was almost impossible to hit; I never managed it once. Why spend so much time making a table look and sound beautiful - it had a sub-woofer hooked it, it sounded AWESOME - and not get it leveled correctly? Asking price was $5k. Yeah, I would've..
    I know what you mean about the Flight 2000 table. I was so excited when I saw it because I love the TPA version. It was a real letdown to play it and realize that it wasn't going to be possible to lock any balls. I couldn't hear any of the sound effects either because Black Rose was right next to it and it was one of the loudest tables in the whole place. It was also depressing to play the neglected ST:TNG table. I wonder how much the guy wanted for that?

Where was Black Knight 2000? I didn't see it.

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWink View Post
    I know what you mean about the Flight 2000 table. I was so excited when I saw it because I love the TPA version. It was a real letdown to play it and realize that it wasn't going to be possible to lock any balls. I couldn't hear any of the sound effects either because Black Rose was right next to it and it was one of the loudest tables in the whole place. It was also depressing to play the neglected ST:TNG table. I wonder how much the guy wanted for that?

Where was Black Knight 2000? I didn't see it.
    BK2K was only there Saturday. It was set up right next to Iron Man in the vendor area.

My Devices
    iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always have thought Data East Star Wars was a subpar pin wrapped in a great theme. Played it a couple times Friday and guess what? I still think that's the case. Maybe I love the theme so much that it has caused me to have unrealistic expectations. Or maybe my opinion is just rubbish. I so want to love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast