Bug Ripley's games are ending prematurely

Toolinit

Banned
Apr 15, 2014
Ripley's games are ending prematurely. I have played multiple games where I've acquired numerous extra balls, and the game just ends when I drain on, say ball 2 or 3. It sends me to the screen that says, "You posted the high score, would you like to share on Facebook...." It seems to happen regularly after at least one Atlantis multiball. Please help...I'm trying to post a great score on this table.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Known bug that Farsight hasn't ever fixed. The workaround is to always intentionally tilt during the bonus count. This reliably avoids the bug. DO NOT speed up the bonus count by hitting the flippers, since you need the time to make sure the game tilts.

Toolinit

Banned
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks kinggo & vikingerik....I'll give the tilt workaround a shot....I get so frustrated with these bugs!

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
I could continue the game by starting the next one. At least it's interesting that I'm not the only one. It's more noticeable when you have got an EB on the 3rd ball. Score needs to be above 70M. Atlantis is not required. Bonus count is skipped anyways, often, or it comes on the DMD after the game is already finished.

Other bugs:
1. Stuck balls and attendant doesn't help. Seems to be less frequent at the moment.
2. Strange rules. Maybe rom bugs. E.g. visiting South America and getting the letter is always an interesting story.

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I could continue the game by starting the next one.

This works only as long as you are still on Ball 1. When TPA starts a new game, it will "press start" on the ROM. The ROM interprets this either as adding another player (if you are still on ball 1) or restarting a new game (if you are on ball 2+).

Also, since TPA considers this a new game, you lose your credit for any rollovers past 10B. (Not a concern for many players, I'm sure.)

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
It would be great if this bug was fixed. Those kind of gamebreaking bugs are really annoying. :(

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Well, I finally decided to learn this table and give it a fair shake and I'm constantly running into this bug. I've encountered it 3 times in maybe 10 games. The first time it happened at the end of the game, before I could enter my initials. The second time it happened on ball 3, while I had an extra ball. The third time it happened on ball 2. In both cases I was able to continue the game by hitting "start" in the UI. I'm really disappointed that such an old table still has such a serious bug.

I find it ironic that the supposed "fix" is to tilt after draining. That's how you CAUSE the game breaking bug in HRC. I'm starting to think I should just avoid the Stern tables in TPA.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
This bug is very annoying. I have experienced it on iOS, PS4, and PS3. The thing is, I have never experienced it before the megapatch on ps3 or before they added challenge mode to ios. And I used to play this ALOT on PS3. It is different from the attract mode bug because the game is still going on with the ball in the launcher when the start menu comes up. Fortunately, you can continue your game if you press start again. Unfortunately, the game sometimes doesn't realize when your game is over and you could lose your score.

I actually got the Frog Frenzy wizard goal before getting the Super Jackpot wizard goal because of this bug.

Last edited:

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Sorry to double post, but I think I found out how to reproduce this bug 100% of the time. When you get a large bonus, there is often a callout ("Believe it or not") that is identical to the callout heard after entering a high score. My guess is that the game uses this sound bite to identify when a game is finished, which should be am easy fix for Farsight. Can anyone else confirm this before I send a bug report?

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Sorry to double post, but I think I found out how to reproduce this bug 100% of the time. When you get a large bonus, there is often a callout ("Believe it or not") that is identical to the callout heard after entering a high score. My guess is that the game uses this sound bite to identify when a game is finished, which should be am easy fix for Farsight. Can anyone else confirm this before I send a bug report?

Ah, that could be why. Maybe set it to something different?

EDIT: I can confirm that "Believe It Or Not" is used to end the game. Adding to the list.

Last edited:

stratoyak

Mar 13, 2015
Dammit I got this too in the midst of what was probably going to be my high score. broke during my Atlantis round. I had 5 extra balls still on ball one and about 300k points, had already gone through a Frog.
Big waste of time, ruins a great game.

Why don't you TPA people fix this? It's been going on for years now apparently.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
The current workaround is to tilt away your bonus. Bonus rarely tops 10M. The game I completed last night, I was getting 2x Continent tour scores over 250M. Losing 10M in bonus is chump change.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
The current workaround is to tilt away your bonus. Bonus rarely tops 10M. The game I completed last night, I was getting 2x Continent tour scores over 250M. Losing 10M in bonus is chump change.

Last time I tried it the game crashed out before I had the time to tilt, and I started shaking as hard as I could the instant I saw the ball was going out.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Does it still occur? Do you know if this across all devices?

It still occurs. And because it's triggered by an audio cue (the "Believe it or not!" quote after the bonus countdown, which matches the end-of-game quote) I assume it can happen on any platform since it's a trigger on an event from the emulation, and that code is common to all platforms.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thanks Eldar. I'll mention it in the ios Beta thread too. It might already be on their list of things to fix, but it won't hurt to mention it again.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.