A revelation

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
Wow. This table is amazing.

I really didn't like it at first - you all know exactly what I'm going to say, it's that bloody outlane.

I played Bride a bit too, and didn't think too much of it. I don't personally care too much about scores, so the billion point thing didn't bother me. But the table feels a little cramped, both physically and in terms of what you're trying to do. That left me resigned to thinking "Pin*Bot tables just aren't for me".

But having given Pin*Bot itself a serious go, I'm blown away. Can't even put my finger on what makes it so good - I think the sound design helps a lot, and the mix of risky, fairly but not ridiculously technical shots needed. Once you've got the hang of nudging from the pop bumpers, and developed a certain Zen-like appreciation for the fear and excitement added by the remaining random drains, it's a truly compelling table.

Incidentally, does anyone feel a bit sorry for Pin*Bot? He's been left in deep space, eyes removed and circuits deactivated. So you switch him back on... and fire him into the sun.

No justice, I tell ya :)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Incidentally, does anyone feel a bit sorry for Pin*Bot? He's been left in deep space, eyes removed and circuits deactivated. So you switch him back on... and fire him into the sun.

I'd feel less sorry for him if he was easier to pick up in Taxi.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
There you go, it's the realism factor. You ever tried getting a cab to pick you up near Pluto on a Saturday night?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
There you go, it's the realism factor. You ever tried getting a cab to pick you up near Pluto on a Saturday night?

No but I've tried getting a cab in South London early on a Saturday morning. It's kind of the same thing but more futile. At least there's a space probe on its way to Pluto.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
No but I've tried getting a cab in South London early on a Saturday morning. It's kind of the same thing but more futile. At least there's a space probe on its way to Pluto.

"I don't go souf of the river mate!"

Nothing against London, but I'm glad I don't live there - bit too hectic for my taste.

I've been getting into Taxi (the table) as well recently. It's definitely bizarre, but I find it quite a chilled out table. Not really sure why, it certainly isn't slow. Maybe just because the outlanes aren't too horrible, and I'm not taking it seriously enough yet to get the angst...

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I'm enjoying this one especially today. Just had a game on a phone, using touch input, travelling in a car, and got 9.3mill with two advance to the suns.

I do enjoy Pinbot from time to time, but never took to JackBot for some reason.

Pop Sergeant

Jul 26, 2012
In real life, many years ago, Pin*Bot was our go-to table for a year or so. It most certainly required a deft touch at bump, push, and slam to stay out of those outlanes, especially the dreaded left one, but it always kept us coming back for more. The TPA version is pretty true to form given the lack of ball spin physics (which isn't too much of an issue on this board) but suffers mostly in that the nudge function is so grossly (as in low-fidelity) modeled on android and PC.

It was always greatly satisfying to reach the Sun given the drain factor of missing (heck, even hitting) that target -- as I recall, there was the dead ball drop onto the top of the right sling which would either go right out lane or other direction that would arc STDM if you nudged badly as it bounced out.

Pin*Bot in TPA is one of the tables that keeps me coming back -- not because I play it too often (it is frustrating on an off-day) but just because knowing it's there is a good thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.