Ghostbusters Table is a Bad Omen

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
Agreed. I've been gaming since about 1980. When you bought a game, it was yours. It's embedded into my brain that way. There were virtually none of these constant updates & patches. .

if you've been gaming since the 80's, what's the difference between putting tokens in an arcade machine and putting tokens in an app? I get the business model Farsight is trying. i probably won't support it. but it's not like they're reinventing the wheel here. As a business I think they have every right to explore other business models and as customers we have the right to support them or not. let's play the game first before we doom it.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
if you've been gaming since the 80's, what's the difference between putting tokens in an arcade machine and putting tokens in an app? I get the business model Farsight is trying. i probably won't support it. but it's not like they're reinventing the wheel here. As a business I think they have every right to explore other business models and as customers we have the right to support them or not. let's play the game first before we doom it.

I think the difference is perception. That's it. If the game is on my personal device, in my head, that means I own it.

Being that the price of initial purchase is free, it's all up to the customer whether they want to continue being a customer or not. No arm twisting here. What's really kinda neat about this pricing scheme is that the fear of losing that final ball is now all too real. And if FS does it right, the pop of a free credit should be that much more satisfying.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
I think the difference is perception. That's it. If the game is on my personal device, in my head, that means I own it.

Being that the price of initial purchase is free, it's all up to the customer whether they want to continue being a customer or not. No arm twisting here. What's really kinda neat about this pricing scheme is that the fear of losing that final ball is now all too real. And if FS does it right, the pop of a free credit should be that much more satisfying.

Good points! :D

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
if you've been gaming since the 80's, what's the difference between putting tokens in an arcade machine and putting tokens in an app?
The comment I made about the 80's was made strictly from the home-gaming aspect...I grew up using an Apple IIe and an Atari 800...also a few gaming consoles like the Coleco Vision. I seldom hit the arcades at that time. Being just out of high school, most of whatever funds I had went into home-gaming. I don't believe I ever even played a pinball machine back then.

Last edited:

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
The comment I made about the 80's was made strictly from the home-gaming aspect...I grew up using an Apple IIe and an Atari 800...also a few gaming consoles like the Coleco Vision. I seldom hit the arcades at that time. Being just out of high school, most of whatever funds I had went into home-gaming. I don't believe I ever even played a pinball machine back then.

Gotcha! :)

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Some of us are happy enough with the product that even with the minor flaws that pop up now and then we want to continue supporting Farsight in their endeavours. I mean I'm not interested in paying microtransactions for tables or whatever is going on with the GB plans, but there's no indication TPA is ever going to go that route, and the kickstarter had nothing to do with Ghostbusters.

Well said J!

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
It is very simple to me: If this Ghostbuster table is some kind of scheme, I won't be playing it. If I can buy the table and play it as much as I want, I will buy it. Easy.

I'm not messing around with buying balls and credits, or wait to play schemes like "Speed up refresh time with gems for $2.99 each". NOPE.

So you won't be getting then. ;)

Captain Rumwood

Apr 25, 2012
I would pay the usual 4.99 for the Ghostbusters table for unlimited plays like the regular TPA table. If I have to pay for each game or extra, I'm not interested. I hope the pay per play idea doesn't get started for future upcoming TPA tables. It would be a deal breaker for me.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
If there truly is no buy option to just own the table, then I won't be bothering with it. I like pinball, yes I do, but not enough to allow myself to get nickel-and-dimed just to play. It is NOT the same as playing a table in an arcade. In an arcade, I pay to play, but I don't get to have the table in my house. If it's in my house, i expect to be able to play it whenever I like, without having to pay anything more than the initial purchase price.

Not a complaint, just stating my intentions regarding this matter.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
If there truly is no buy option to just own the table, then I won't be bothering with it. I like pinball, yes I do, but not enough to allow myself to get nickel-and-dimed just to play.
Then just take advantage of the free aspect of the game and don't buy any additional tokens. You get 10 free tokens to start off with and 2 free tokens each day just for having the Pinball Arcade app installed on your mobile device.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Then just take advantage of the free aspect of the game and don't buy any additional tokens. You get 10 free tokens to start off with and 2 free tokens each day just for having the Pinball Arcade app installed on your mobile device.

Right. Take a break from it for a couple days and come back to a bunch of free plays.

I'll get it just to support Farsight.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I think pay-to-play introduces a new element of suspense and excitement which can compliment regular tpa gaming. I already suggested an alternative pay-to-play separate leaderboard months ago, as a totally voluntary option, because it can make games more exciting. No more endless restarting, more making the most out of each ball and more feelings. I would prefer the option to also "own" the table so I get to practice (without scores registering for leaderboard) but you could say HH is the practice table, so it works. So personally I think this can be a great compliment to the regular tpa gaming and a little variation can be fun and I personally like to support farsight so I also see it as a little donation.

Last edited:

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
Thanks TPA for this nice little Halloween bonus! I enjoyed playing in the Halloween themed tournament and this Ghostbusters release is like getting a full sized candy bar when you go trick or treating!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I noticed on the new Zen The Walking Dead pinball table after the third ball hits the drain there is an option to purchase an additional extra ball. I have never purchased it and am not even sure how much it costs? Has anyone paid for the the additional ball on it yet and how much do they charge for it?
What platform? Haven't seen that on android.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.