Watched the Movie Today - Makes You Appreciate the Table More

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
+1 for the Lost Boys soundtrack - it's pretty much the perfect 80s movie soundtrack - INXS, Roger Daltrey, Echo & the Bunnymen covering "People are Strange". Heavy on the DX-7, whammy-bar guitars, and blistering sax solos. So so good.

I'm also afraid to watch the movie again, I can see it not having aged well and I don't want to ruin my memories...

I literally was listening to the soundtrack last week! Sweaty sax guy is the best.

b-saxguy.jpg

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
The muscular, sweaty, shirtless rock star playing the tenor saxophone is something that was awesome for only a brief period in the 80s - we are not likely to see it rise in popularity again.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Shadow of the Vampire was an awesome movie, Dafoe is fantastic in it. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Great comedy (for what it is). I'm a big fan of Murnau so wasn't sure how I was going to deal with this alternate reality look at him (lol) but both Dafoe and Malkovich make it work.

IMO, both Lost Boys and Fright Night have aged very well. I'm very much a nostalgic guy though but still, I still enjoy these. Although Lost Boys is still more of a "flash" than "Substance" movie, it's still hilarious when it needs to be (hello Frog Bros.) and still cool in it's own way. I never really found it scary though.

Near Dark and the Cameron regulars: if I'm not mistaken, Cameron was married to Bigalow at the time so I gather that's part of the reason why (or maybe it was part of the divorce agreement lol)

Speaking of BSD, it's kind of hilarious how it's been in the news lately with both Rider and Coppola saying that Keanu and Winona really did get married. I doubt that's possible (you have to sign papers afterwards to make it legal no?) so it's probably just free advertisement for her and her latest movie but still funny reading about that with this thread

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
The muscular, sweaty, shirtless rock star playing the tenor saxophone is something that was awesome for only a brief period in the 80s - we are not likely to see it rise in popularity again.

Years ago, my eldest daughter wanted that song. I tried legally to buy the thing but at the time anyway it didn't seem to be available online. It's the same thing with that song that plays during the closing credits of Commando, no one seems to have it available online and for Commando, the only way to download that song even illegally was because someone recorded it from the credits (you hear Matrix talk before the song kicks in).

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Near Dark and the Cameron regulars: if I'm not mistaken, Cameron was married to Bigalow at the time so I gather that's part of the reason why (or maybe it was part of the divorce agreement lol)

There actually is an amusing divorce settlement between them. He gave her 'Strange Days', which he had been developing and was close to making himself. He handed over everything, from script to storyboards.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Years ago, my eldest daughter wanted that song. I tried legally to buy the thing but at the time anyway it didn't seem to be available online. It's the same thing with that song that plays during the closing credits of Commando, no one seems to have it available online and for Commando, the only way to download that song even illegally was because someone recorded it from the credits (you hear Matrix talk before the song kicks in).

That song in Lost Boys is actually a cover of the song originally done by The Call. I had stumbled across it, not really is was the original version, and highly disappointed there was no sax in it!

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
There actually is an amusing divorce settlement between them. He gave her 'Strange Days', which he had been developing and was close to making himself. He handed over everything, from script to storyboards.

Wow, I've never seen Strange Days, interesting and talented cast too. I'll have to check it out

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Wow, I've never seen Strange Days, interesting and talented cast too. I'll have to check it out

I just watched it for the first time in a long time about a month ago. The story structure is a bit wonky, but it's aged fairly well for the most part. Like there's no stupid future tech that stands out like a sore thumb today. It uses the full of it's widescreen, so try and avoid the HBO broadcast of it as they cropped it. Back in the day I couldn't recognize Bigelow's imprint on the film, having essentially Point Break as her only other big budget movie to compare, but now it's quite obvious the moments that are pure her direction on display.

Striker

May 26, 2017
I’ve been playing a lot of BSD lately, which brought me to this thread.

Saw the movie in theaters shortly after release. I thought it was good, not great. The Simpsons did a very funny send-up in their Treehouse of Horror episode soon thereafter, with Mr. Burns as Dracula and Smithers as Tom Waits. The Simpsons meet Mr. Burns for dinner (“in PennSYLVANIA!”) and when the kids are grossed out by the glasses of blood, Homers says “correction, FREE blood and guzzles it down.

Interview with the Vampire = still holds up well. If you liked it then, you’ll like it now.

Lost Boys = still holds up very well, with the exception of Corey Haim’s wardrobe. The soundtrack, combined with the great humor, help the film stand the test of time. (“My own brother a God damned **** sucking vampire! You wait 'til mom finds out buddy!”)

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
I love lost boys but on the issue of censor, I thought the quote was "my own brother, a god damned blood sucking vampire" soooo... lol

Members online

Members online