Cool stuff coming!

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
Hey everyone!

It seems that i'll finally be getting some free time after the launch of our new table next Friday. I just wanted to let you all know that i'm planning on adding (or at least start working on) some much needed features to the android version of the Pinball Arcade. Here are a few:

- Immersion mode (OS 4.4 and up)
- Saved games through google play
- moving tables to sd card
- "download all" button in manage tables

Most likely I won't get these all done in the time it takes to start working on our next table, however, I think i'll be able to get a great start on most of them!

As always, feel free to post any features (within reason) that you would like to see added to the android version of the Pinball Arcade, and i'll do what I can!

Thanks again everyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
- Immersion mode (OS 4.4 and up)
- Saved games through google play
- moving tables to sd card
- "download all" button in manage tables

Most likely I won't get these all done in the time it takes to start working on our next table, however, I think i'll be able to get a great start on most of them!

All good things come to those who wait (and constantly email support@ badgering them...) :p

For me, in priority order:

1. Save Games in GPG
2. Move to SD
3. Download All
4. Immersive Mode

1 and 2 will make a huge difference for owners of multiple devices, and those who are short on internal SSD space.

3 will help those that use 1 to restore game progress. So therefore should be done in this order.

4 is nice to have, but can be enabled using Xposed framework pretty easily if rooted.

/2c

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
So with 1 being introduced, the next logical step from there is goal achievements being transferred over.

Then from there, using Leaderboards.

I can see a competitive aspect from finding players that are relatively equally matched and competing against them.

I used the GPG Leaderboards on Sky Force 2014 (shmup) to find GPG users close to my level of skill for close competition in score chasing. It really drives me to play the game more.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
I would love to be able to scale the floating buttons, like Magnasave. I don't care if it just stretches the image of the button either, FWIW... :)

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Good to hear these will all be finally looked at.
Is the team any further with rom emulation for the scripted tables? Especially Black Knight? (+operator settings?).

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
How about just standardizing the camera views so that each angle works the same on all the tables?

But what if your "standard cam2" just plain looks bad on one table? I'm assuming that the camera views are adjusted by FS on a per table basis.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
How about just standardizing the camera views so that each angle works the same on all the tables?
while that would help, even though you can't have the same angle on all tables, that would not solve multiball camera and event camera.
But at the same time, separate settings would somehow solve that what you are talking about.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Can someone explain 1 and 4 please. Why and what.
So if you're referring to my numbered list, 1 is Google Play Games Cloud Backup and 4 is Immersive Mode. Explanations below, but if this is still not clear, just do a google search for the official docs on both of these features.

Google Play Games Cloud Save
If your device suffers a critical failure, or you upgrade your playing experience from a phone to a tablet, you can't bring your Standard and Wizard goals with you, or save them in any way unless you have unlocked your bootloader and installed SuperSU (rooted your device).

With Scott looking at implementing GPG Cloud Save, all your achievements in-game will be backed up to Google servers, and can be restored at the click of a button, or automatically when you authenticate through Google Play Games in TPA. Never lose your Lyman's Lament Wizard goal again!

Immersive Mode
Have you ever played TPA using touchscreen and accidentally triggered the home key after trying to do a rad death save? Immersive Mode hides the system navigation keys (Back, Home, Recents) and makes the game appear full-screen on your device.

You can apply this at a system level using a few apps from the Google Play store, but they are paid apps. You can also implement this feature using XPosed Framework, but this requires your device to be rooted. This is an Android System feature that if enabled in the game (it's a one-line flag setting in the APK manifest) provides the functionality without any further effort on the users' part.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Many thanks Jared.

Scott, any chance you can resolve the super fast play bug when resuming play from sleep. i.e close case on my nexus7, open case and resume game. Ultra gravity and super speed means instant drains and game over.

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
Many thanks Jared.

Scott, any chance you can resolve the super fast play bug when resuming play from sleep. i.e close case on my nexus7, open case and resume game. Ultra gravity and super speed means instant drains and game over.

I'll definitely look into it. Unfortunately I've been hitting a lot of dead ends lately because of the multiple ways a user "OnStop()" our app. For the most part, this speed up won't occur if you hit the home button and re-enter the app, however, if someone hits the power button while still in the app, and then turns the device on again, there can be issues.

Either way, the sure fire way to fix the speed up is to hit the home button and relaunch the app. This should re-calibrate the app and return it to the normal speed. I realize this "solution" is less than ideal, and I assure you it will not be like this forever.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
Can someone explain 1 and 4 please. Why and what.

So basically, there's an awesome way to store crucial data from our apps to "cloud based system" that can be restored from any device. As of now, if you switch devices your high scores, goals and other important info won't transfer over. This system would allow you to throw your device in a lake, go buy a new one, and have all of your info right there when you start the app. Pretty cool huh?

as for 4, it's a very simple feature that will help users that don't have physical buttons at the bottom of their phone. If you have a digital home button, back button and window button at the bottom of your screen in a black bar, it can be distracting and annoying. This immersion mode will get rid of that, and allow you to bring it back with an inward swipe.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
But what if your "standard cam2" just plain looks bad on one table? I'm assuming that the camera views are adjusted by FS on a per table basis.

Point being - if the views were actually standardized - there would only be two possible views. View 2 shouldn't look "good" on one table and "bad" on another. They should be - the same. One set of views for regular tables, and one set for wide body tables. There is no rational explanation st to why the camera angles on different tables (with the exact same dimensions) should vary so widely. Half the angles aren't even usable because they cut off the inlanes/outlanes on the table.

It's sloppy and indicates a lack of "standards" when it comes to digitizing these tables, IMO.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
I disagree.

It's not possible for one angle to look good on all widebodies. Depending on the table, some angles won't be good because indicator lights might be obscured. Or the view of the ramp could be blocked. Or you can't see the ball to antipicate an upper flipper shot. etc.

With the number of tables exceeding 50, I doubt that you'll find an angle that looks good across all the tables. I prefer that FS tunes angles per table.

debuggiest

Aug 10, 2013
I would love to be able to scale the floating buttons, like Magnasave. I don't care if it just stretches the image of the button either, FWIW... :)

Yeah, that would be cool. It would be cool if it would also not trigger any underlying screen element (nudge/flipper zones).

I disagree.

It's not possible for one angle to look good on all widebodies. Depending on the table, some angles won't be good because indicator lights might be obscured. Or the view of the ramp could be blocked. Or you can't see the ball to antipicate an upper flipper shot. etc.

With the number of tables exceeding 50, I doubt that you'll find an angle that looks good across all the tables. I prefer that FS tunes angles per table.

All I know is that I feel like I'm going to lose my front teeth on that lockdown bar on MM. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts