Waste of money

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
specifically a house ball is one that never gets to touch a flipper. if the ballsaver gives it back it's not a house ball unless

a) you didn't touch it the first time
b) you also fail to touch it with a flipper after it's saved and it drains again.

House balls were VERY common on EM machines, though they can happen on any table with no ballsaver that feeds the bumpers. Twilight zone's skillshot to bumpers to left outlane would count because it never touched a flipper (but you can avoid it by a full plunge) Lawlor games always provide at least one option for you that prevents house balls.

Banzai run. make the skillshot and go to the upper playfield.

Earthshaker. full plunge and feed a flipper
WHirlwind. full plunge and feed the upper flipper.
Funhouse. plunge to the upper flipper or the skillshot, or weak plunge to the inlanes (you will get the ball back if that drains)
Addams family. make the skillshot which feeds the upper flipper, or soft plunge to the swamp, which feeds lower right flipper.
Twilight Zone. full plunge
Road SHow: plunge the souvenir skill shot.
Monopoly. dice roll skillshot feeds upper flipper cleanly.
Ripleys' believe it or not: make the skillshot.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
A houseball is called that because you're spending money to play 3 balls and you launch one and it drains effectively screwing you and the owner ie The House just won by giving you 1/3 less time for your money. The house got a ball and you got two to play.

My take on it.

Yup.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I've found many DE games to be "cheats" and "drainers." Basically you find the shot that's "safe" and exploit it for points which lead to extra balls and replays. Perfect example is the wide ramp on the right side of BTTF. Just keep shooting it. Boring, I know, but when you've got an EB, then go for multiball.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
I've found many DE games to be "cheats" and "drainers." Basically you find the shot that's "safe" and exploit it for points which lead to extra balls and replays. Perfect example is the wide ramp on the right side of BTTF. Just keep shooting it. Boring, I know, but when you've got an EB, then go for multiball.

I noticed most of the later Data East DMDs (Jurassic Park and forwards) have extremely balanced scoring. I've played most of their late releases and haven't noticed many unbalanced shots besides the CHAOS Super Jackpots in JP.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Well, I'm not talking about scoring. More about playfield layout. It's almost like they were designed to be quarter eaters.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Well, I'm not talking about scoring. More about playfield layout. It's almost like they were designed to be quarter eaters.

They were designed to provide income to the owners of the machines. Player entertainment is a necessary enticement for revenue collection.

Like slot machines. They are designed to be quarter eaters.

JJH516

Banned
Jun 4, 2014
They were designed to provide income to the owners of the machines. Player entertainment is a necessary enticement for revenue collection.

Exactly. I think sometimes people forget these things were created to make money.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Too bad POTO wasn't a game that gave a little grace period. I seriously loath that table. Thank you all for the info on "house balls" happy new year as well.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012

Some more so than others.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Too bad POTO wasn't a game that gave a little grace period. I seriously loath that table. Thank you all for the info on "house balls" happy new year as well.

It gives you one for the Jackpot... if you shoot the ball into the Organ as it closes after draining two balls, you earn it nevertheless

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
It gives you one for the Jackpot... if you shoot the ball into the Organ as it closes after draining two balls, you earn it nevertheless

Correct but I mean in general. It's not only a quarter sucker or drain monster but there is NO 3 or 5 second redo for a house ball. I thought Dracula was rough (and that has a 3 sec redo, but POTO is just rough and the game basically sucks to boot. I have very little fun playing it.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013

Actually, the LEFT ramp is easily shootable on any decently working back to the future game, despite it being more narrow then the right one. Note that the plunger sends the ball straight to the right flipper to shoot it with. Repeat until you have your high score.

Silverball67

Jan 1, 2015
Correct but I mean in general. It's not only a quarter sucker or drain monster but there is NO 3 or 5 second redo for a house ball. I thought Dracula was rough (and that has a 3 sec redo, but POTO is just rough and the game basically sucks to boot. I have very little fun playing it.

I have a lot of fun with POTO, just because it´s a rough table. I rather would say a challenging table with one of the best artworks. But the only thing, which is pissing me of is the extreme high rate of draining, after shooting at the organ, in order to open it. In most cases, you have no change to recue the ball, even with strong nudging. But, after all, I thing this table is definitely underrated in the community.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
The drains after shooting the organ are very true to life. you have to shoot it properly, or it will zip right down the middle. that said a well times sideways nudge and flip will save it.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
I'll ask again. Has ANYONE Been able to unmask the phantom or even know how????? This game is the bane of my existence but yet I still torched myself almost daily with a few games, purely for self-loathing.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
I've tried it.
This Phantom is just a disgusting pizza.

pizzaSlit600_Micael-Reynaud1.gif

Disappointed.

Edit.
I just realized it's not a microwave.
Couldn't work.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.