Lyman's Lament

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Weird. On the iPad, right? It's not consistent for me at all -- it'll bounce to the right flipper about a third of the time. The rest either trap on the left (no biggie), take a weird hop or rols straight off the left flipper into the drain.

Last edited:

Day

Jan 9, 2013
Others have mentioned it- backhand the scoop from a trap on the right flipper, hold both flippers up during the return and the ball will come safely back to a trap on the right flipper. Rinse and repeat. I think it took about five minutes; 44 goes by fast once you get into a rhythm.

thanks for providing inspiration to me Clawhammer.... i've been ignoring this goal for way too long, thinking it'd be just too dull & too frustrating to even bother accomplishing. And i was hoping that during the course of a good game with plenty of multiball action, that this one might simply take care of itself... not to be.

so reading your post, and with work this evening being as quiet as a mouse tiptoeing through an undertaker's parlour, i though why not give it another shot.

With your raised flippers suggestion i managed with far greater consistently to regain ball control than ever before, when attempting this shot. I reckon it took me nearer to 15-20 mins to achieve the goal, sitting out the Drac appearances and occasionally completely losing control and getting into unwanted, wild looping frenzies. thankfully LL is now ticked off and doesn't need to be achieved again.

seems i'm still missing Mosh Super Jackpot to finish all wizard goals for MB (i'm slightly surprised i haven't got that yet) and i'm still chasing Frog Frenzy in RBION though i was one shot at super jackpot away from getting this during a personal-best score game in the recent handhelds tournament... jittery hands got the better of me and i fumbled my last ball... still i was overall very pleased with my best ever score on RBION of 294 Mil and small change.

addendum: thank you also to pin pin for starting the thread !

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Lyman's Lament quotes:

After entering the code:
"I can't get no respect." (0 credits)
"Totally!" (1 or more credits/Free Play)

Upon activation of the mode:
"Oh, big drain coming here."
"Aw, dude, don't drain, don't drain!"

Stage 1:
"Uh-oh, look out."
"Oh, that's trouble."
"Oh, that is BIG trouble."
"Oh geez, that's big trouble."

Stage 2:
"Oh my gosh, you would not BELIEVE the trouble you're in."
"Oh, the trouble you're in!"
"Oh, you would not BELIEVE the trouble you're in."
"HUGE trouble."

Stage 3:
"Ohhhhhh man, HUUUUGE trouble!"
"Oh my gosh, that ball wants out soooooo baaaaad."
"Oh my gosh, the FLAILING that's going on!"

Looking at the Status Report:
"What are you doing???"

Upon activation of Phantom Flip:
"Your blue stinky friend is here!"

During Multiball:
"Dude, go for Mosh."

Lighting Monster Bash:
"Whatever!"

Lighting Monsters of Rock:
"What's up with that?!"

Upon draining:
"Oh my gosh, that is the UGLIEST drain I have EVER seen."
"Oh my gosh, the HORROR of it all!"
"Awww, that sucks."

Upon TILT:
"Can't we all just get along?"

Last edited:

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Thank you Lyman for the single best easter egg in all of pinball history.

Can you imagine if other games had a mode where the developers would critique your game play in real time?

‘don't go there, zombies ahead! Told ya.'
'Pass to pippen, he's wide open. Aw, you suck.'
'Queen side castle? What are you thinking?'

:)

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I'm missing collect special... every time i light it it drains down the wrong outlane. for the rest of the balls! This goal shoudl be to LIGHT the special... not collect it. omg.

And now i finally got that mosh pit super jackpot. STILL can't collect the special! Every time i light it the lit outlane gets magical ball repelling powers and the balls gravitate to the unlit one!

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
thanks for providing inspiration to me Clawhammer.... i've been ignoring this goal for way too long, thinking it'd be just too dull & too frustrating to even bother accomplishing.
Thanks also for the inspiration. I just got it. It took about six tries. I didn't get a big score like other folks. But I did get the Special wizard goal, and still need the Mosh Pit Super Jackpot. This table is really hard for me. At least it is big fun to play.

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
finally got the gosh darn special.

and yes mosh super jackpot is difficult, because the center ramp is surprisingly hard.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
finally got the gosh darn special.

and yes mosh super jackpot is difficult, because the center ramp is surprisingly hard.

Agree.

I've collected the Special 4 times now, I think, and it still hasn't registered. :mad:

This is my goal for today.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I've collected the Special 4 times now, I think, and it still hasn't registered. :mad:

You have to collect the special with a single ball ingame (yeah, you must "throw" it in an outlane and lose).

If you collect it during a multiball, the goal achievement won't be registered.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't see there was a 3rd page, and that you have finally succeed.

Last edited:

Punisher

Jan 5, 2013
FS really needs to fix these goal bugs. I got a special, and it didn't register. All I need is that and LL, and neither will tick!

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Lyman's Lament registered for me right away. Once I was not in multiball, the Special registered for me the first time.

Last edited:

Xenonite

Oct 7, 2014
(sorry for necro, but no one here seems to care about necros.)

Is Lyman's Lament actually worth actively going for as a scoring goal? The 44 scoop hits usually mean at least 2 MoRs before seeing it (and that's with banging on the scoop to excess), and the switch bonus isn't worth very much either, even with +25 bonus x. The highest bonus x I've ever had (has anyone actually gotten to 250x on this one?) is like 115 (and that was with two or three hold bonus x's), and 115 * 2500 = 287.5k per switch. Even at the first Bash, I can usually get 100M+ (assuming no unexpected MoR start), which means that a 100+x bonus (remember, edge case...) would take about 400 switch hits to eclipse an MB. And an MoR is usually 400-600M... And most of my Laments usually clock in at about 20-50M. So is it ever worth not saving your ball and collecting the Lament bonus over trying to save it and possibly inducing a tilt?

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I think Lyman's is worth it, at least at the high end of the leaderboards where I play. Reason is that the scoop shot from the right flipper is so safe. If you hit, you have a guaranteed bounce and fresh catch. If you miss, it's either a tame return to the flipper or a slow roll up the Mosh Pit lane which is also good and easily catchable. You can shoot the scoop continually for enormous periods of time without ever losing control. In fact, I think it's probably better reward/risk to not try to start most of the monsters via their actual shots and let the scoop do it for you instead.

My highest Lyman-powered bonus was 600M-some, on a long ball that went through multiple Monsters of Rock. I don't remember what the bonus X was.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.