First Impressions

oqvist

Nov 23, 2013
So williams would charge more for them to modell Earthshaker with the sinking building. Should be able to include it without owning the table particularly if it doesn´t affect gameplay?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
It's as if they don't want to be one-upped by FarSight. As if having a "better" version is going to affect sales of machines that have been out of production for over a decade. How dare FarSight use color in the DMDs. How dare they make a building sink. How dare they add stickers to drop targets.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
i take it ramping out works just fine in this recreation?

to be fair it works like a charm on the real table too, so they couldn't really do too much to make this game harder. people will actually introduce some flipper hop on purpose to make this game more difficult in tournaments. that's how easy is is to loop that ramp over and over an over.

other games that are really that easy to loop a ramp on.

Batman (DE original)
Bad Cats Center ramp (but you only get extra all)
back to the future left ramp
hurricane center ramp (but only if lightning flippers are on it, it just adjusts the sweet spot to be so much easier to hit)

Nolan

Jan 19, 2014
I actually like this Lawlor table more than his others, cant put my finger on why exactly. Maybe its just that new release afterglow.

I had the same question as to why we got the compromised vision of the table, so I did a quick search for video of the sinking effect.

Not missing out on much, kind of a lame gimmick.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014

to be fair it works like a charm on the real table too, so they couldn't really do too much to make this game harder. people will actually introduce some flipper hop on purpose to make this game more difficult in tournaments. that's how easy is is to loop that ramp over and over an over.

Batman (DE original)
hurricane center ramp (but only if lightning flippers are on it, it just adjusts the sweet spot to be so much easier to hit)

+ Creature From The Black Lagoon.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014

Batman (DE original)
Yes. I try other stuff to break the monotony - usually risking a captive ball shot for a Quick MB.

Unrelated I may have been wrong about EBs capping at 4. I'm pretty certain I just got 5: 12 & 60 miles, 6x Bonus, 3 x Quick MB 1Ms, and one from Match Up.

Not that I'm advocating jackpot farming to go infinite - there may be a hard EB limit like in Whirlwind, where it's 6.

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014
So we have the B-version of the table. What is the point in giving us the inferior table unless they have to spend less hours coding?

The early 200 run was a "prototype" run. We are licensed for the "production" game. So even though Williams did make that early run of the sinking building games, we recreate the production model.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Yes. I try other stuff to break the monotony - usually risking a captive ball shot for a Quick MB.

Unrelated I may have been wrong about EBs capping at 4. I'm pretty certain I just got 5: 12 & 60 miles, 6x Bonus, 3 x Quick MB 1Ms, and one from Match Up.

Not that I'm advocating jackpot farming to go infinite - there may be a hard EB limit like in Whirlwind, where it's 6.

When you see a "max extra ball" setting on a machine, it usually means max extra balls per ball in play.

So basically you can only get 4 extra balls at a time, but you can get more than 4 total for the whole game, if that makes sense.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
There are THREE types of extra ball maxes used.

1) max extra balls stack limit (this is most common, and usually what the "max extra balls" setting means)
2) max extra balls per ball in play (this is also common on newer tables, as protection against going infinite. this setting is actually called "max extra balls per ball in play". many modern tables have both settings available)
3) max extra balls per game (rare, but some, like Whirlwind DO use it. most tables do NOT have a setting for this)

Last edited:

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
They may not have even been allowed to make the sinking building version. Don't for get they have to have the recreation approved by Williams.

I just think it's interesting that they described the sinking building in the splash screen table description. Why would they call attention to something that then becomes conspicuously absent in their recreation? I remember reading that and being, "Oh, cool, they must have rendered that in this version" only to be mildly disappointed when it wasn't there. Makes me wonder if they intended on rendering it but then decided not to for time/cost constraints and forgot to take out the mention in the description. EDIT: Also, I can't think of any reason why Williams would have objected to Farsight implementing the sunken building. It's a cool gimmick and was certainly part of the original production schematic.

Not a big deal either way. After all, very few real Earthshaker machines had this so it's not like it's inaccurate or anything. Just would have been cool.

Overall, I'm really pleased with this one. I've heard Earthshaker in proper working order wasn't a particularly difficult machine (the fault shot tends to get harder when the flipper coils weaken over time.) And it's nice to have at least a few tables that aren't super punishing if you're in the mood to just play a long time without the frustration of constant drains. I found that it was much easier to constantly use subtle nudge to keep the ball off the slingshots on this table than some others, and I exploited that for a pretty massive second game (55 million) even though I choked on the one opportunity I had to get the 2.5 million jackpot (got several others though.) So I still have that one goal to get, at least.

This was one of my most anticipated tables and I'm not disappointed in the slightest. I imagine it will be part of my regular rotation for quite some time.

Last edited:

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
This was one of my most anticipated tables and I'm not disappointed in the slightest. I imagine it will be part of my regular rotation for quite some time.

Really enjoying this table too. My favorite table since Dracula. Even though it's easy, it's a fun challenge to try to get a high score and doesn't make me want to rip my hair out playing. Out of the Lawlor Tables available in TPA so far, I'd put it in the upper echelon with no good Goffers and fun house. It's starting to really get me amped for Addams Family.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
The early 200 run was a "prototype" run. We are licensed for the "production" game. So even though Williams did make that early run of the sinking building games, we recreate the production model.

I've played a sinking building table. It's fun, but I think it'd be distracting or wouldn't really add anything to the digital version. The rumbling is enough of a gimmick.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Can't seem to get into this table. Not sure why. POTO kept my interest. TPZ not so much. What's happening to me? WW is so much better than ES. And I'm not sure why people are saying 'easier' is more fun. Give me a table that'll kick me right in the @**. What can I say? I'm into masakism

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Can't seem to get into this table. Not sure why. POTO kept my interest. TPZ not so much. What's happening to me? WW is so much better than ES. And I'm not sure why people are saying 'easier' is more fun. Give me a table that'll kick me right in the @**. What can I say? I'm into masakism

Think Season 3 had a way better start than this season

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.