WORKING SOLUTION for slow down bug on Yosemite!

Robobi

Jan 31, 2015
I stumbled on this by accident messing around with display settings. It seams to fix the glitch of the random slow frame rate in Yosemite.
I asked another member to try it and he has had 100% success as well.

*note you will have to do this every time you reboot your mac.

1) Go into system preferences.

2) Click on Displays and change the rotation from Standard to 90 degrees. Hit apply.

3) Change it back to Standard

Pinball Arcade should now work without any slowdowns in game play.

Good Luck.

Rob

Last edited:

Jay

May 19, 2012
I can confirm this as well, for both the native Mac version and the Steam version. And you don't even have to hit "Apply" (actually, it's "Confirm"). Even if you hit "Revert", it still works.

Last edited:

wizard33

Jul 31, 2014
as said earlier, ditching with preferences is a solution. We know it for 3 or 4 months. Any change will work, not necessarily a 90° flip. Sometimes, just quitting and relaunching the games works too

Jay

May 19, 2012
Sometimes, just quitting and relaunching the games works too

That's never worked for me (and I tried it often). But you're right about the System Preferences. I tried simply changing the resolution and then resetting it, and TPA worked fine then.

hootowls

Aug 20, 2013
Any chance that a FS employee can comment on this discussion? Passing it along to the responsible Mac version person would be greatly appreciated!

Shoot Again

Aug 26, 2012
I can't find this screen rotation setting. Do I have to use an external monitor? I have a MacBook Pro Retina. Any help is appreciated.

Robobi

Jan 31, 2015
Shoot Again..I have only tried this on Mac Pro Desktop and Imac. You might have to have an external monitor to get the settings to change.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Any chance that a FS employee can comment on this discussion? Passing it along to the responsible Mac version person would be greatly appreciated!

Just so I can make sense of this when I discuss this with the Mac programmer, I need to understand the problem. From what i'm gathering, the Mac has a slowdown issue while being displayed normally in landscape correct? And the trick to fixing the frame-rate is to change the settings to Portrait mode and then back to Landscape?

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
Please Please Please ~ tweak the DMD size!!!!!!!!
It is WAY too small on the 27" displays (standard size for iMac and Mac Pro)
It looks like it doesn't rescale at higher resolution

I imagine it's really small on the new 27" 5k iMac

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Please Please Please ~ tweak the DMD size!!!!!!!!
It is WAY too small on the 27" displays (standard size for iMac and Mac Pro)
It looks like it doesn't rescale at higher resolution

I imagine it's really small on the new 27" 5k iMac

I reported this as well to the programmer.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
I have recently found by adding 16g ram to my iMac, Pinball Arcade is now running at a snails pace.
Perhaps this is a clue, it would be interesting to hear what others with this issue have for ram

Since I'm on an iMac (with no video outs), I don't have the option to rotate the screen in the System Preferences.
I have found improved performance by dropping to 1080 rez (DMD is at the right size at 720 btw, the lowest setting allowed)
Returning to the native 1440 brings it back to reeeaaallly slow.

stratoyak

Mar 13, 2015
I stumbled on this by accident messing around with display settings. It seams to fix the glitch of the random slow frame rate in Yosemite.
I asked another member to try it and he has had 100% success as well.

Thank you! A million times.

Mac Pro 12 core 32 gb ram Samsung Syncmaster Yosemite 10.10.2

I got the natural movement back but at a price. Oddly, the colors of every game I have played since using that trick are all washed out now. Like if I set my color level to 5-6 on a 10 scale, meaning in the middle, and that gives normal color, I now see what a setting of 1 or 2 would produce.

Shoot Again

Aug 26, 2012
Snail's pace would describe my situation as well. 16 GB RAM, shipped with MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013) with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (2 GB).

I'm now running OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), but had slowdown problems ever since I bought this top-of-the-line Mac back in October 2013 (with Mavericks).

What is really odd is that there is no slow-down on my old MacBook Pro from 2008 (running Mavericks). So, yeah, perhaps it's related to the additional RAM memory?

I'm not able to try out the trick in this thread as I don't own an external screen.

Dirty Frank

Feb 20, 2013
Snail's pace would describe my situation as well. 16 GB RAM, shipped with MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013) with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (2 GB).

I'm now running OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), but had slowdown problems ever since I bought this top-of-the-line Mac back in October 2013 (with Mavericks).

What is really odd is that there is no slow-down on my old MacBook Pro from 2008 (running Mavericks). So, yeah, perhaps it's related to the additional RAM memory?

I'm not able to try out the trick in this thread as I don't own an external screen.

If you can change your resolution and then change it back again, that works too.

Cowboy

Feb 23, 2012
Anyone else notice this problem being better with the latest version (Cyclone) ?

I played a game this morning and the slow down was a lot better....when it happened (twice) it only lasted a second or two and it was gone.....before it was unplayable.

I haven't played anymore than that one game....I was check it out further tonight !

Cowboy

Feb 23, 2012
I played several games tonight and it was noticeably better than it was for some reason.....not sure if they updated something or this was just luck....When it still did slow down it was only for a second or two and went back to normal.....before it was for 15 -20 seconds at a time.

I tried the trick rotating the screen >holding the alt/command key<.....All it did was lock up the computer, with the screen upside down to boot....lol...I went into safe mode and got it corrected.....but that wasn't much fun working upside down !......I'm on a MacBook Pro (retina) with the latest OS X version..10.10.2.

Robobi

Jan 31, 2015
The rotation trick just works for Mac Pro Towers - or if you are on an Imac or Macbookpro you need an external monitor to be able to access the rotation.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.