WORKING SOLUTION for slow down bug on Yosemite!

Cowboy

Feb 23, 2012
It didn't show for me until I used the *holding the Alt/Command key* as you enter System Preferences....then as you enter the display menu....but it worked fine until it actually flipped it, then you lost the options to flip it back.

For a minute there I was wondering how in the world I was going to flip it back.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
Please Please Please ~ tweak the DMD size!!!!!!!!
It is WAY too small on the 27" displays (standard size for iMac and Mac Pro)
It looks like it doesn't rescale at higher resolution

I imagine it's really small on the new 27" 5k iMac
I reported this as well to the programmer.
Reviving this.
Really hope it's addressed in near update
I'm surprised others aren't bringing it up....

Jay

May 19, 2012
Just wanted to let you know I'm beta-testing the new OS X ("El Capitan") and can confirm that the infamous slow-down bug is still present (without the workaround suggested above). :(

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Just wanted to let you know I'm beta-testing the new OS X ("El Capitan") and can confirm that the infamous slow-down bug is still present (without the workaround suggested above). :(

Thanks for the heads up! I'll notify the programmer.

Jay

May 19, 2012
Actually, I have some surprising news: the workaround no longer works. The slow-down now happens regardless. :(

MagnumXL

Apr 23, 2013
Please Please Please ~ tweak the DMD size!!!!!!!!
It is WAY too small on the 27" displays (standard size for iMac and Mac Pro)
It looks like it doesn't rescale at higher resolution

I imagine it's really small on the new 27" 5k iMac

Somehow my 24" monitor is just fine for me and your 27" monitor is too small. :confused:

I used to see these complaints when I made tables for Visual Pinball (and I liked to put the DMD in its box at the top of the table in a fixed 3D view because that's what felt like a real machine). People weren't happy unless their nose was on the table and the table took up every inch of space on the monitor even though NO ONE plays real pinball with their nose on the monitor. Try connecting your Mac to a big screen projector (got a 93" screen in my home theater). If that's not big enough, nothing will be.

I don't get any slowdowns in Mavericks (used to get them in Mountain Lion, though). I wonder if disconnecting my 2nd monitor helped as it's not currently connected.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
Somehow my 24" monitor is just fine for me and your 27" monitor is too small. :confused:

I used to see these complaints when I made tables for Visual Pinball (and I liked to put the DMD in its box at the top of the table in a fixed 3D view because that's what felt like a real machine). People weren't happy unless their nose was on the table and the table took up every inch of space on the monitor even though NO ONE plays real pinball with their nose on the monitor. Try connecting your Mac to a big screen projector (got a 93" screen in my home theater). If that's not big enough, nothing will be.

I don't get any slowdowns in Mavericks (used to get them in Mountain Lion, though). I wonder if disconnecting my 2nd monitor helped as it's not currently connected.
It's not the size of the screen that is the problem, it's the higher resolution and the DMD not rescaling to match (DMD is staying at 415x125 px).
So while on a 1920x1080px 24" it might seem just right, it actually gets a lot smaller on the 2560x1440px 27" size screen, not bigger. 5k monitors are at 5120x2880px, which makes the DMD really super tiny.
It's like trying to read a license plate from 1 mile away while you get to see it from 10 feet away.

wizard33

Jul 31, 2014
what also matters is the screen orientation: in landscape, you're forced to use a scrolling cam

in portrait mode (not all screens can rotate, but hopefully I got a 27" which does that) you can see everything without having the annoying cam move

definetely, a screen in portrait mode does it

MagnumXL

Apr 23, 2013
what also matters is the screen orientation: in landscape, you're forced to use a scrolling cam

in portrait mode (not all screens can rotate, but hopefully I got a 27" which does that) you can see everything without having the annoying cam move

definetely, a screen in portrait mode does it

I'm in landscape mode (this particular monitor doesn't rotate; I do have a 27" one that does rotate but it's in service with my PC steering wheel and arcade setup right now) and I don't have the camera move. Engage the camera LOCK feature and it won't scroll. There's not a table out there that I need to scroll in landscape mode on my 24" monitor. Geeze, I designed VP pinball recreations on a 19" CRT originally.

Jay

May 19, 2012
I tried a little experiment to see if it would help. I have a recent Mac Pro, and my HDMI monitor had been connected through the Mac Pro's HDMI port. So instead I attached the monitor to the HDMI port on a Thunderbolt 2 dock I have. It took a lot longer for the slowdown to begin, but when it did it lasted a lot longer than previously. This is a very frustrating bug and I hope someone fixes it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts