Strategy for 5-planet WG

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
It has been discussed in the previous threads under General Discussion but let's have a specific thread about it. How do you manage the 5 planet goal?

My plan so far has been to go for the ramps and try to get Recon 1 (Spot Species) or Recon 3 (Spot planet) as often as possible. Scoring many ramps also means lighting Special in a good run. I don't necessarily aim for any bug targets but the yellow or blue targets, the other ones are too difficult to hit. Especially the side ones are dangerous since it causes left-right movements that will feed the hungry right outlane eventually.

I recently realized that shooting the Recon-hole may actually be easier and more consistent from the right flipper but it's about 50/50.

Nudging needs to be done quite heavily and I always border on tilting a game.

During multiballs, before I reached high score extra ball I tend to go for point shots, but after that I go for ramps (special). If my bonus is above 5-6x I tend to try for reaching the 10x Extra ball.

Usually, if I don't at least get the first planet done in my first ball I restart the game.

As far as I have learned, it is only possible to reach Planet P with the help of Spot Species/Planet. Getting that option seems to be much easire if there are only a few left.

Basically, my strategy is to let the normal gameplay hit the bug targets, get as many Spot Species/Planet as possible, get as many extra balls as possible (very difficult) and very important as well is to hit the Recon hole quickly and consistently when it's lit. While Planet multiball is lit, the game is very risky, you can accidently start the multiball and all the bug target hits are pointless - so being able to hit that quickly is very important.

Please hand me your tips that could make this any easier! I made it to Planet P with 2 reds left yesterday but then it was already spoiled on some previous planet where I accidently started the Planet Multiball (which is the most annoying way of busting this goal).

Last edited:

Brock

Jan 28, 2014
You're right, I'm certain the Recon hole shot is safer and easier from the right flipper, either from a trap or if the ball happens into the right inlane shoot just as it reaches the upper part of the (main)flipper. The ball will move quite slowly toward Recon, giving you time to steer it in with nudge.

Loving the challenge of this WG.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
You're right, I'm certain the Recon hole shot is safer and easier from the right flipper, either from a trap or if the ball happens into the right inlane shoot just as it reaches the upper part of the (main)flipper. The ball will move quite slowly toward Recon, giving you time to steer it in with nudge.

Loving the challenge of this WG.
-----------
thanks very much for your info. I keep on running into that same trap.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I finally made this WG! I was a bit lucky...although I didn't get many extra balls or even Spot Planets. I had the entire Planet P left on my last ball and I really didn't think one ball would be enough. I was really nervous trying to hit the Left Hole to start the nuke multiball and had three cradle misses until a random slingshot put it there. Relief!

The major thing for me from going from making some 2-3 planets to all of them was using the mini flipper. Those double hits made quite a difference.

Good luck y'all! I don't know if I will be going for the POTO 5x now but it's my last one and Man! will that be a challenge!

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I was one shot away from this goal today. And I hadn't spotted any species or planets. And I didn't abuse the small flipper. Then I choked while the brain bug was up. Tried to set up for a cradle from the right flipper so that I could nuke the planets... and choked. Ball drained right off the flipper. NOOOO!

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I finally made this WG! I was a bit lucky...although I didn't get many extra balls or even Spot Planets. I had the entire Planet P left on my last ball and I really didn't think one ball would be enough. I was really nervous trying to hit the Left Hole to start the nuke multiball and had three cradle misses until a random slingshot put it there. Relief!

The major thing for me from going from making some 2-3 planets to all of them was using the mini flipper. Those double hits made quite a difference.

Good luck y'all! I don't know if I will be going for the POTO 5x now but it's my last one and Man! will that be a challenge!

I just got this one yesterday! If POTO is the last one that you have remaining, does that mean that you got the Dracula 300 Million Coffin Jackpot? I thought that one was so much harder. And if so, do you have any tips on that one?

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Trying to get this goal for about 10 hours and only coming close once means time to give up, right? I've had it with this goal. Moving on!

Throw in a couple of extra balls, or even let multiball target hits count, and you've got yourself a really fun goal to chase. Far too luck based for me as it stands, though.

The painful thing is that one time I was close, I mean I was one shot away from starting the multiball...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Let's revive this dead thread!

So since it being a TotW table, I've been trying for this stupid goal and been utterly demoralized by it. Just now I finally, finally made it to planet P, without spotting planets or species, and killed all the bugs. I eagerly awaited my 'goal completed' text...and nothing. What?? Are you kidding me? The only thing I'm wondering, and it never specified this in the instructions, but do I have to have not nuked any planet prior to this? Because if so, that SUCKS!!

I hate the recon hole, I hate the recon hole, I hate the recon hole!

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013

So since it being a TotW table, I've been trying for this stupid goal and been utterly demoralized by it. Just now I finally, finally made it to planet P, without spotting planets or species, and killed all the bugs. I eagerly awaited my 'goal completed' text...and nothing. What?? Are you kidding me? The only thing I'm wondering, and it never specified this in the instructions, but do I have to have not nuked any planet prior to this? Because if so, that SUCKS!!

I'll look into it tomorrow but activating it by either recon reward or collecting all planets should award the goal.

Edit: Your talking about the Nuke 5 planets in Planet Multi-Ball huh?

Last edited:

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
the instructions could be read either way, 'nuke 5 planets in planet multi-ball'.. could be nuke each planet or nuke all 5 at once, with the way the instructions read it isn't clear if a nuked planet is considered 'completed' or disqualified from the higher scoring multiball modes.

So if you nuked each planet was it only 2 ball multiball the whole time? likely not what they intended, they wanted you playing 4-ball multiball w/ 12/120M jack/superjackpots not 1/10M j/sjpots.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014

You have to get to Planet P and not start any nuke multiballs along the way - you must shoot the recon hole to advance planet every time. Maybe the instructions / description of the goal need to be clearer, I dunno. (But seriously, you want to stack those multiballs up because the scoring is soooo much better.)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
You have to get to Planet P and not start any nuke multiballs along the way - you must shoot the recon hole to advance planet every time. Maybe the instructions / description of the goal need to be clearer, I dunno. (But seriously, you want to stack those multiballs up because the scoring is soooo much better.)

Yeah well, it took me weeks just to even get to Planet P, so I'm not looking forward to doing it this way. I've already got a go to string of profanities ready for when the ball accidentally bounced into the nuke hole on the 4th planet.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Eldar is right. You need to nuke all 5 planets at once. Which means to never start any nuke multiball until you've completed the bugs on all 5 planets through Planet P. The goal worked for me, pretty sure it functions fine in TPA.

You're allowed to use the Spot Species / Spot Planet recon awards to help advance through the planets.

As for the recon hole, try shooting it from the right flipper. Also, always just catch and time out the brain bug so it doesn't bounce you into the nuke hole.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Why not just go for the ramps and max recon level? Then shoot for the random reward. It's much easier and faster IMHO, I got it a good couple times when SST came out this way.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Why not just go for the ramps and max recon level? Then shoot for the random reward. It's much easier and faster IMHO, I got it a good couple times when SST came out this way.

That only awards you Klendathu, it doesn't nuke planets. In fact you don't want that, because it resets you back to the first planet and you need to start all over again.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Eldar is right. You need to nuke all 5 planets at once. Which means to never start any nuke multiball until you've completed the bugs on all 5 planets through Planet P. The goal worked for me, pretty sure it functions fine in TPA.

You're allowed to use the Spot Species / Spot Planet recon awards to help advance through the planets.

As for the recon hole, try shooting it from the right flipper. Also, always just catch and time out the brain bug so it doesn't bounce you into the nuke hole.

I stopped shooting the brain bug a long time ago, as it usually bounced to an insta drain.

As for shooting recon from the right flipper, my biggest issue is getting control of the ball and catching it there. Tips anyone?

Members online

Members online