"First" impressions

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I haven't played this table IRL very often. So I can't really compare it with the real thing. But what I can say is: I'm having fun with it. And I have no idea how long it will take me to get the wizard goals. Currently I only have the Triple Jackpot and the Mansion Tour. Both were not really difficult to get - I just got them while playing, not actively hunting them. But the other 3 goals.. uhm... I think the next could be the 10 Million plus, once I am a bit better in hitting the ramp. 4-way combo and Super-Bear-Bonus need quite some more practice.

The only thing I really do not like about the graphics is the transparent ramp. I looks too grey IMHO and is not transparent enough.

Thanks everyone at FarSight for getting this table to the collection and everyone who funded this on Kickstarter.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Spot on Farsight, it plays a hell of a lot like the TAF at our clubhouse. The magnet is quite powerful which makes Seance a dangerous mode, in multiball it sometimes actually helps to prevent SDTM drains. A lot of extra balls to be had with two repeatable ones. My best is 2.3B on the gold edition, which does give HOF points for iOS although the score goes to a seperate leaderboard as should be. I think goals are attainable also from the gold edition but can't check that easily because I only got 3 quite hard wizard goals left, and just now tried out the gold edition. Not a whole lot different but mansions are more easy to get (also from the swamp) and a couple of things score higher (I twice got a starting jackpot of 75M). To sum up: great, fun table that is just rightly tuned to lure newcomers and don't scare them away, and hard enough to keep the veterans busy for some while. I fully expect the 'Martians' to break the 100B barrier in time though. :)
I also hope that the great job TPA has done with this premium table will get other Kickstarters some oomph, especially TSPP and LOTR if they can be done. I'm in for the next one!

Jay

May 19, 2012
This table is supper fun

Actually, I prefer it for breakfast. ;)

I'm really enjoying it. I've played the real version a few times, but that table wasn't in very good shape. So I can't honestly compare the TPA version. But it's challenging. The graphics are pretty good (on the Mac version, which somehow always seems to get lower-res versions). It didn't take me long to dispatch the standard goals. But the Wizard goals will take me a while. It'll keep me busy. :)

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
First impressions - love it 710mil so far...

Ha, just noticed in the table menu >extras that the flyer has altered images of fester and pugsley - greed over legacy = erased forever from history - sincere thank you to the other actors who were "reasonable"

Is the Special TAF custom balls available for iOS ? I have the pro version and they are not in custom balls or in the "buy custom balls" menu. Not even sure what they are supposed to look like - anyone have a pic? my Brunswick custom ball is there!

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
What makes TAF so great is its' personality. It's so much fun to play, it never gets boring, tons of toys and modes and the flow is fantastic. Very well designed, no wonder it's a classic.

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
well, the movie wasn't popular here so they probably didn't want to go with pinballs

You're right.....The movies were pretty dreadful..... The original TV series was a ton better. When this machine came out, it was everywhere and so much fun to play that I didn't care that it was The Addams Family, but just a great Pinball Machine.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
What makes TAF so great is its' personality. It's so much fun to play, it never gets boring, tons of toys and modes and the flow is fantastic. Very well designed, no wonder it's a classic.

couldnt agree more fella, ive skipped most of season four, but taf set a fire under my arse

Mega

Feb 28, 2012
So far I love it. I played this table way more than any other IRL, and I find the difficulty and accuracy to be really good. I hate to use the word perfect, but yeah, it's just like I was there. The only things I would change have nothing to do with this table in particular, but more to do with TAF in general:

1. The sound. I am not sure the exact process that is used to extract the sound. I assume it's done totally digitally which should mean that we are getting the exact sounds bit-for-bit that were stored on the original ROMs. However, all the tables seem more tinny and scratchy than they do IRL. I am running TAF on Steam and my PC has an optical audio out to a Home Theatre quality sound system complete with powered subwoofer. So I should be getting a richer sound experience than I would playing the real table. But I distinctly remember more bass and bigger "thud" sounds coming from the arcade version I played so much (which luckily was in a small pizza place with very few games and had the sound cranked). So if the sound really is 100% of the original, then maybe the TAF sound engine should allow some tweaks. How about a smoothing option to remove some of the graininess of those original low-sample-rate voice-overs. And how about some kind of EQ or at least a bass boost to give that nice wallop/rumble for people with systems that can handle it. And while on this topic, we REALLY need a new knock sound. That sound was a physical noisemaker in the original tables, and the "click" we get in TAF is just not robust enough. Get someone with high-end microphones to really record that sound, and give us a full fidelity version, and maybe even make it a bit louder too so we can feel it a bit.

2. Lighting. I wish there were menu options to change the lighting. Again, playing the real table in a dimly lit room really adds to the experience when the lights are going nuts. I know on a screen it will never be the same, but if we could simulate a low light room, the game could add a little more light contrast and maybe add an optional "bloom" effect to the lights. I know it can be done because I've seen some video of the game that captures this pretty well. In fact, check out this video... even though the quality could be better, even the sound is bassier than when I play the TAF version (which in theory should be waaaay higher quality):

Anyway, both of my wishes may not make everyone happy. I might not even want "low light" mode all the time. So both I would imagine to be optional. Things you can turn on/of or even adjust in the options.

Mega

Feb 28, 2012
I am a little disappointed that the Special Collector's Gold Edition is not a separate table. Since the scoring is a bit different, it doesn't seem right to have the high scores mixed in with the non-Gold high scores. Also, since this is my all-time-favorite table, I was kind of looking forward to having two different sets of Standard/Wizard goals. I thought maybe the goals of the gold edition might incorporate some of the changes to highlight them too.

Anyway, it's a minor gripe. I'm glad to have access to both versions of the table. This is my first time ever getting to play the gold edition.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I am a little disappointed that the Special Collector's Gold Edition is not a separate table. Since the scoring is a bit different, it doesn't seem right to have the high scores mixed in with the non-Gold high scores. Also, since this is my all-time-favorite table, I was kind of looking forward to having two different sets of Standard/Wizard goals. I thought maybe the goals of the gold edition might incorporate some of the changes to highlight them too.

Anyway, it's a minor gripe. I'm glad to have access to both versions of the table. This is my first time ever getting to play the gold edition.

There is a separate leaderboard for the special collectors edition which is why there are only 231 recorded scores when you check TAFG leaderboard with Gold Mode "ON".

Two different sets of Standard/Wizard goals would have been nice though.

EDIT : My mistake... you were talking about the local high scores and not the leaderboards...correct?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.