"First" impressions

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
OK, some 50 games later I learned to control myself and leave that thing flipper alone.
About the game itself... I still don't find it to be THAT great.

night

May 18, 2012
Great graphics too, they even including table lighting/shadows on the playfield, hello! This is most likely done by the same team who did Taxi. Cool table.

p6800

May 17, 2013
On pc you can trap the ball from both kickouts 100% of the time just by holding the flippers and no nudging. Dead bouncing from both kickouts is the same 100% safe and the same all the time. Is this true to real table?

W1LDD ONE

Jul 21, 2013
When are the IOS custom balls releasing? Are there pics of all the custom balls available? Just curious.
Does anyone have Gold Edition pics to share with us? PC or IOS.

Another question: If I play Brunswick Bowling app. are those the TAF custom balls or are they different from TAF pack that is coming soon? Thanks!

I just downloaded Bowling app. so are all those custom balls transferable to TPA app. ?
Obviously these are just for looks because they are not the TAF custom balls with physics.

I'am correct?????

Last edited:

heberts811

Feb 26, 2012
Great job on this table. I have one locally that I play all of the time and they are pretty much spot on. I even got the Dirty Pool shot which I have done a few times on the real one.

Gary

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
On pc you can trap the ball from both kickouts 100% of the time just by holding the flippers and no nudging. Dead bouncing from both kickouts is the same 100% safe and the same all the time. Is this true to real table?

No, it's not. Dead bouncing is supposed to work, but not always be easy to trap after it. hold trapping is NOT reliable on most TAF games in real life. it should bounce off the slingshots if you try. that said flailing at the kickout is supposed to be a lot more reliable then it is. you are supposed to be able to cleanly thwack the chair kickout into the open vault, which never works in TPA. (edit. spoke too soon. it does work... on iOS! people who say the physics are consistent across platforms are lying!)

Also, failing to use the thing mini flipper is supposed to result in a bounce off the divider and straight down the outlane at least 30% of the time. this is a large part of why the game is easier than real life. lack of spin physics is the reason for this. Those expecting not flipping the mini flipper to be safe in real life will get a VERY rude surprise!

On the other hand the power has around a 20% chance of flinging the ball right back into the electric chair, and that never happens in TPA, so you take the good with the bad.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
A table I just never get tired of playing. Sometimes I play for multiball. Sometimes I play to tour the mansion. Other times I try to score as well as possible on each mode. Not every pin translates well to a digital recreation, but this one does. Do I have some minor gripes? Sure I do. But when I'm having this much fun, I can overlook those little things.

skyway73

Feb 16, 2015
My first impressions are that they have really done a great job, I'm loving it. It's actually a challenge too which can't be said of a lot of TPA tables.

Roll on the PS4 release :cool:

Canadian365

Jun 26, 2012
My all time favorite table, and FS nailed it with a sledge! Spent many hours playing real table in my College student lounge. Multiball on real table will give you shivers, almost religious experience. Was lucky enough to play TAF at Las Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame last month...awesome! Thanks T. Arnold

skyway73

Feb 16, 2015
... Multiball on real table will give you shivers, almost religious experience.

Oooh, nicely put. Couldn't agree more. I'm hoping the PS4 version will at least bring me a reminder of what it's like in real life, much as I love this iPad version it does lack the flashes and bangs.

Mega

Feb 28, 2012
There is a separate leaderboard for the special collectors edition which is why there are only 231 recorded scores when you check TAFG leaderboard with Gold Mode "ON".

Two different sets of Standard/Wizard goals would have been nice though.

EDIT : My mistake... you were talking about the local high scores and not the leaderboards...correct?
Yes, local scores. I'm not good enough to really worry about leaderboards. LOL

When I wrote my post I was not yet aware the leaderboards are separate, which is nice. But I would like separate local high scores too. In fact my best score is with the gold edition. So it makes me wonder how much lower it would have been on the other edition. Oh well.

superdan

Jan 30, 2015
Not one to reinvent the wheel, but from the first game I say another well-done for farsight's TAF. Do not have the gold-edition and curious if game play is different or just added features of visual and auditory stimulations. Have pro edition, and usually get pro, mostly to support farsight, but like the features of pro as well.
I think Pat Lawlor would be proud of this virtual recreation; and at least we can all agree, best selling pinball machine of all time, if not masterpiece. I wonder if twilight zone would of been made if not for the success of TAF.
If I had one critique (I don't know if critique is a right word, perhaps more of a lamentation), it would be that TAF, and subsequently, twilight zone, complicated the pinball game to the delight of die-hard pinball peeps like us, and conversely, another added formula equation for the downfall of pinball by alienating the masses as they complicate themselves over to video games. Fortunately TAF is fun and 'kooky' enough to appeal to a wide audience and overcome that problem of 'complication', it seems at least by sales volume.
Anyway, can't say much more that hasn't been said before. Enjoying the game. Thanks farsight!
Now get that multi-player function added to the TPA :eek:
~Dan

Last edited:

sneakynotsneaky

Feb 21, 2015
One shot from the real table that can't be replicated in the game is shooting bear kicks direct from the feed to the right flipper. It takes a strong flip but it's a fairly high percentage and valuable shot on the real table since it lets you spam bear kicks in a row. It's probably for the best that it can't be done in TPA, although it would certainly help with the pesky super bear bonus goal. Other than that the recreation matches well with my experience of the real table. Unfortunately the relative difficulty of the Thing ramp is definitely true to life. :)

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
Not one to reinvent the wheel, but from the first game I say another well-done for farsight's TAF. Do not have the gold-edition and curious if game play is different or just added features of visual and auditory stimulations. Have pro edition, and usually get pro, mostly to support farsight, but like the features of pro as well.
I think Pat Lawlor would be proud of this virtual recreation; and at least we can all agree, best selling pinball machine of all time, if not masterpiece. I wonder if twilight zone would of been made if not for the success of TAF.
If I had one critique (I don't know if critique is a right word, perhaps more of a lamentation), it would be that TAF, and subsequently, twilight zone, complicated the pinball game to the delight of die-hard pinball peeps like us, and conversely, another added formula equation for the downfall of pinball by alienating the masses as they complicate themselves over to video games. Fortunately TAF is fun and 'kooky' enough to appeal to a wide audience and overcome that problem of 'complication', it seems at least by sales volume.
Anyway, can't say much more that hasn't been said before. Enjoying the game. Thanks farsight!
Now get that multi-player function added to the TPA :eek:
~Dan

Pat Lawlor actually has talked about exactly what you're referring to at pinball shows in the past. To summarize, yes, you're right that Twilight Zone would never have been made had TAF not been such an incredible runaway success. He said that basically he and his team were given carte blanche at that point, and they got super carried away. He said internally they called TZ "In Excess Pinball." It was basically their one chance to just go nuts because they all knew that it was just bad business to make a machine so complicated both mechanically and gameplay-wise, but TAF afforded them the opportunity. They knew nobody would ever be allowed to make something as crazy as TZ ever again.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
One shot from the real table that can't be replicated in the game is shooting bear kicks direct from the feed to the right flipper. It takes a strong flip but it's a fairly high percentage and valuable shot on the real table since it lets you spam bear kicks in a row. It's probably for the best that it can't be done in TPA, although it would certainly help with the pesky super bear bonus goal. Other than that the recreation matches well with my experience of the real table. Unfortunately the relative difficulty of the Thing ramp is definitely true to life. :)

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. It definitely makes that Super Bear Bonus goal much tougher to get. I've found that you CAN shoot the bear kick ramp if you trap the ball on the feed; you don't have to completely stop the ball, just settle it down a bit and then you can get the ramp (although it sometimes won't have enough juice to quite make it up all the way.) But yeah, you definitely can't just whack it immediately like you could on some real tables.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
Nice table. Good looking. Great addition to TPA.
Just scored 943M. Still need one wizardgoal.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
Nice table. Good looking. Great addition to TPA.
Just scored 943M. Still need one wizardgoal.

Haha, yeah, the Wizard goals are a beast on this thing. I had a nearly 2 trillion point game yesterday and I'm still sitting on only 2 Wizard goals completed (the easy ones.)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.