TAF Tactics & Strategies

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
If the coil is energized while the opto is taking measurements, the table does not record the results of the impending flip for use in "aiming" future Thing Flips, because it assumes there was human interference on that shot. It also doesn't use what was just measured and relies solely on the "average conditions" stored in memory, which is another reason why Thing often butchers the shot under these circumstances.
No, even if its' flipped BEFORE it reaches the opto, it can mess things up. You sometimes see people who hold UP the flipper they are about to flip with after a ramp shot until just before the ball gets there? This is an attempt to affect this and make their flip consistent.
I imagine they deliberately lowballed the number a bit to account for inaccuracies introduced by negligent cleaning/maintenance, unlevel machines, etc.
yeah... that's probably true.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I wouldn't say that trying to hit the Swamp manually is a good strategy. You can get that 20 M rather easily but if you fail it can be an insta-drain in the right outlane. Since the game itself is so easy I always play this one safe and let it bounce out to a cradled left flipper. In the end I believe I earn more points this way.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
I wouldn't say that trying to hit the Swamp manually is a good strategy. You can get that 20 M rather easily but if you fail it can be an insta-drain in the right outlane. Since the game itself is so easy I always play this one safe and let it bounce out to a cradled left flipper. In the end I believe I earn more points this way.

In my experience, missing the Swamp shot is pretty unlikely to result in a right-outlane drain, unless you miss REALLY badly. Usually you'll at least hit the standup targets which will throw the ball somewhere back toward the middle or the side of the chair. It's probably best to miss the shot high by shooting early than late, but I wouldn't recommend just forgoing the 5x Graveyard Bonus. Plus, the shot is just SO satisfying. I had forgotten how much I loved it since I hadn't played the game in any form in a few years, but it might be my favorite single shot in all of pinball (although hammering the ship in AFM probably comes close even though it can be a drain shot.) I don't even mind that the Thing doesn't "learn" the shot in this version because I'd much rather make it myself anyway.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
So what does that mean for TPA? Is it calibrating over the course of one game and then resetting on the next?
I think this is most likely true. All behavior I've seen in Monster Bash matches this theory, and there's no reason to think TAF would behave differently.

It doesn't exactly reset every game, it resets whenever TPA resets the ROM. That happens whenever you quit the table or restart a game. If you play many games in a row without quitting or restarting, Thing's data will persist.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Don't forget about 4-Way Combos, too. :)

(Do they stack with 5X Graveyard and Million Plus?)

They do, so if you really want to push it, try Bear Kick->Bonus X->Left Ramp->Swamp, you will get the 5M for the 3-way Combo and 10M for the 4-way Combo making the circuit worth 45M a go at maxed Million Plus and Graveyard. So yeah, if you've got that 4-way combo down, go for it!!

That shot through the bumpers is just too risky for my liking; I'll take the certainty of Bear Kick->Thing and be boring :D

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I find the shot through the left orbit very tough on iOS, anyone yet with that wizard goal?

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
And if you wanna play the table in real life, better practice the swamp shot, because neither holding the flipper up nor letting it past is very safe at ALL. the former will send the ball out of control, and the latter will often go straight off the divider and into the left outlane. in real life, you gotta go for it. every time.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
I find the shot through the left orbit very tough on iOS, anyone yet with that wizard goal?

Yeah I've gotten it a few times on OIS. It's one of those things where if you let yourself get too excited, you'll probably mess up the flow. Unless you're Bowen, who can get excited and still kill it. I find also that it's way easier than the 5 way combo on WH2O. Or even FH, that one's pretty crazy too.

Here's a question tho... How many of you guys are actually going for the skill shot? Yes, it can add up. But it maxes at 5mil, and it might even be better to just send it around to the bumpers, just to build the graveyard value. Actually, I'm just getting sick of taking the time to get the distance right. On SST, I'll still send it around for a ramp skill **** though. It's just way too valuable if you make it. 10mil every time. Which is actually the wrong value, but no one has answered my question about if that's a bug or not. Hell, I'll take the extra points. Especially since a normal game, first ball or two I'll get 15 mil without the skill shot. That's only on the semi-crappy games though.

So any thoughts on TAF skill shot?

Edit: haha! I must've missplled 'shot' up there ^. Could've corrected it, but it was just too funny. What exactly does a skill **** entail? IIRC, Jared would know, based on the larest podcast. The don't ahut the door part. Keep those comin guys :)

Last edited:

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
The skill shot is useful for setting up the upper right flipper to left ramp shot or train deadend shot. Listen for the saucer kickout, wait the right amount of time, hit right flipper to make either shot.

If you get good enough to make that shot based on just the saucer kickout sound alone, then you can do it during multiball without even looking.

sneakynotsneaky

Feb 21, 2015
They do, so if you really want to push it, try Bear Kick->Bonus X->Left Ramp->Swamp, you will get the 5M for the 3-way Combo and 10M for the 4-way Combo making the circuit worth 45M a go at maxed Million Plus and Graveyard. So yeah, if you've got that 4-way combo down, go for it!!

That shot through the bumpers is just too risky for my liking; I'll take the certainty of Bear Kick->Thing and be boring :D

I don't find Bear Kick->Bonus X->Left Ramp->Swamp to be that risky. An early miss will sometimes send you into the chair, which is nice, and a late miss just bumps the G-R targets for little risk. The only issue is rattling around in the bumpers, but the consolation is the grave value. Plus Bonus X is nothing to sniff at in long game. There's just too much value to pass up at least the attempt to go from Bear Kick to Bonus X.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Bonus X is amazing and just gets better and better over a game as more mansions are scored. With 10 million plus and 4M graveyard at 100 mansion rooms the full 4-way combo is worth over 120 million. The bonus X itself is worth half of that, so it's a priority shot during all multiballs and tour the mansion.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
You get lots of skill shots during a long game. they add up. and they are SAFE to attempt and make, which is rare in a lawlor table.

they also collect extra balls and T-H-I-N-G, as well as locks for the first multiball. and give you a chance to hit the train wreck, or the ramp, or dead bounce to lower left flipper to shoot the chair.

and you can do all of these after a missed skill shot too, which works when you wanna start multiball without interference from the power. plunging the bumpers can get you a right outlane power drain if you are unlucky. much safer to get into the bumpers from the bonusx shot.

T-H-I-N-G seems to be 5 million PLUS. I don't know what it maxes out at.

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Does the vault THING MB max out? The one that starts with 5M? I believe I had it up to 12M but not sure about that.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Does the vault THING MB max out? The one that starts with 5M? I believe I had it up to 12M but not sure about that.

Quick Multiball maxes out at 10M. It's pretty good, and a good time to increase million plus, graveyard value and bonus X as well.

Ok maybe 100 mansion rooms was a bad example, but even after 40ish rooms it's worth a fair amount. Every bonus x is as good as completing a full Seance or Tunnel hunt at that point.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.