PBA : Free Camera Mod

NoEx

Mar 12, 2015
Hi!

As i'm a big pinball fan, i've got a pincab at home and i've installed PBA on it.

It's pretty good with the portrait mode but the table view does not exactly fit in the screen like visual pinball or future pinball, furthermore the camera angle is too low and the "event camera" following the ball is really annoying.

I've been a bit disappointed by my gaming experience with PBA on my pincab because of these small things and i've decided to fix them myself.

For that, i've coded a small tool to unlock the camera and to have a total control over it, you can move around in the room, zoom in/out, change the FOV, look at the backglass or even the side decals, without any restriction.

But the main purpose of my tool is that it makes the camera totally static during gameplay, no more event or multiball camera, you can also place the camera over the playfield to make it perfectly fit your pincab screen (see screenshot 3).

It's also possible to save the custom camera values for each tables and they are automatically loaded when the game starts.

At first, i did it only for myself to play correctly with PBA on my pincab, but i thought it could be a good idea to release it if you guys are interested, tell me what you think about it!

If you have suggestions or some good ideas to implement into it, feel free to contact me!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm not sure how FarSight will feel about you modding their game...but I'm sure all the cab users will bow down and thank you! It's so odd to see the whole room in your first two pics. Never gotten a clear look before. Did you figure out a way to display the backglass on a 2nd monitor? And what did you do with the DMD? Depending on that answer, does this work for alpha numeric displays too?

I don't even own a cab, but I'm sure these are some of the basic questions people might want to know.

gech

Nov 3, 2014
Where do i get it???
I want it , i want it ;) i can beta test it for you
For sûre if you release it you would make a lot of people's day.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
LoXXMy4.gif

Mother of God! how do i become an acolyte in your order of awesomeness Sir!
If you could perhaps share this once they've gotten the dx11 patch out I might just have a stroke!
For me this is the fix to portrait camera 4 mode I've been looking for.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I just got home and had a close look at the screenshots. Looks really nice, particulary the ability to save cameras per table. It is so frustrating in TPA to have inconsistent views in portrait from table to table. It is a shame Farsight haven't provided a way to set a bespoke camera, I have seen it requested so many times over the years. This looks great. Do you have a video of it in action, would love to see it?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Here is the first user going crazy!!!\|?#<|<>>>?*<~}
**** yes
Thank you! And of course we are interested!

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Now I go double crazy cause I just realized I'm sitting in the car driving away from my cab for at least two days
So you can wait with the release until then

Nate

Jan 20, 2015
Dude you absolutely effing wonderful human you!! Please please share your wonderful tool, I would love to play with that tool or beta test if that's what you need!( I beta PBA on pc) link us !

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
While the masses are clearly hungry for this, you may want to secure FarSight's legal blessing before distributing/releasing anything. Intellectual property law is notoriously thorny, and even if FarSight is OK in principle with your mod, they may be forced to disallow it for legal reasons.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
id have to agree with sean on this one, dint want the guy getting into trouble now do we, also farsight manament will go bat****.

its a real litty, but we could be wrong!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.