Why is HOF-points connected to LOCAL highscore/ROM?

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I have noticed on several tables that if you pass 10M, 100M, 10B etc your scores will not appear in the local high score. This is a known bug and has been around for ages and seems to be dependent on what the table ROM can handle. Nuff said.

What I don't understand is why this would affect the HOF-points given after a certain game. I mean, I ended up on 100.030.000 points on Earthshaker and by doing so it was not eligible for the local high score list but still registered for the Leaderboards. Since HOF-points is not connected to the ROM in any way, how come FS can't just read off that number and re-calculate that to HOF-points? Why should it be affected by the ROM and triggered by whether you were limited by the ROM or not? I mean, the number is there since it can obviously be posted to the leaderboards! For me (as a programmer) it doesn't make sense at all!

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
I suspect that the programmer who wrote the HOF code assumed that the only time the game should check for a new higher HoF score was when your score exceeded the local ROM high score. Which is an ok assumption, *if* there wasn't a ROM score rollover bug.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
Yes, it makes sense out of a starting point. But why keep it? :) I mean, it shouldn't be very difficult to change.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.